Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #1

How bad of an idea is this...

So my fiancee and I have dreamed of a"tiny home" we can call our own, and have thought about everything from those mini mobile homes to houses on trailers and 100sqft to RVs and campers and life is pushing us to make a choice right now.

Within the next week, we will either purchase a bus (my idea and I love it, but I may be way off base here) or a cheap motorcoach. Towable trailers are out for now, since she has a kia soul and I have a 4cy cherokee that barely hauls us around (the kia has more towing capacity...)

I owned for a very short time a church short bus and lived on it with nothing but a sleeping bag and a propane camping stove and was quite content. Part of the logic behind this sudden change is the need to save money in the long run. Her parents lived in the same apartments as us and they bought a big ole RV coach with 2 slide outs and a litany of issues and they boondock everywhere.

All that being said, we're thinking about getting a bus, gutting ripping the seats out and doing as much as we can while living in it.

My questions are thusly:

#1, are we insane? Probably yes, and while this wont be luxurious by any means is it doable?

#2, how "must do" is insulation? My main concern is the roof. I can handle the walls, but Im seeing things regarding strapping the roof and trying to skin it once its insulated and it really makes me nervous. Im debating leaving the roof intact and doing only the walls.

#3, electrical. I have a ton of camping gear, and for now a propane stove will cover our bases. but electrical is a huge expense and if Im realistic, scares the hell out of me. We have things we need to use but we're going to cut the electrical as much as possible. Can you give any tips on getting started?

Im going to be doing a LOT of reading (already started) and would love any helpful articles/links etc.

Thank you guys!

default is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Are you insane? Maybe. We're probably not the best group of people to answer that question though. Isn't that kinda like seeking a diagnosis from the inhabitants of an asylum?

As for answers to your questions about insulation and electrical, Google is your friend. Start your search with "site:skoolie.net" followed by a space and whatever you're looking for info on. Read until your vision's blurry and all your questions will be answered!
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
[QUOTE=Rameses;181577]Are you insane? Maybe. We're probably not the best group of people to answer that question though. Isn't that kinda like seeking a diagnosis from the inhabitants of an asylum? QUOTE]

LOL... best answer!

Welcome! You'll learn a lot here.

Sandi
Full-time bus dweller
www.thismidwifetravels.com
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Are you insane? Maybe. We're probably not the best group of people to answer that question though. Isn't that kinda like seeking a diagnosis from the inhabitants of an asylum?
I've been told as long as I take my medication I'm ok, Why have you heard something?
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I've been told as long as I take my medication I'm ok, Why have you heard something?
Only the voices in my head telling me that all this work I'm doing will be worth it in the long run...
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
One thing I'll say....
If you do buy a motor coach (in the affordable range). There's a very good chance you're buying someone else's problems!
A lot of things can and will go wrong with them... Been there, done that... Got the shirt!

Now, build a bus (solid foundation) .... Put your blood sweat and tears into it over the next couple years, and you WILL know everything about it!
And you can stand back and say... "I did this and it's mine!"

Sure, you can flip a switch and the water pump comes on.... But, when you build it... You know you ran the wiring and installed the pump & switch that makes the magic happen.

Edit:
OH! And the hardest part of my conversion is building it while habitating in it!
Old 01-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Like any decision,

Like any important life decision, Get a sheet of paper out and write the pros on one side, cons on the other. be honest, now is not the time for romantic.

Write your absolute total budget. You can pay now... or you can pay more later. The great, low mile, perfect configuration bus...has bad rust and needs tires. Wait, be patient. get the feel for bidding.

Is she the type to miss a few hair washings, or do you need immediate shower, etc.

Roof insulation up North is essential, in San Diego, not so much. Where is this tiny house going? Alaska has different requirements that Tennessee.

Read, ask ?'s, and above all- welcome.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
It takes a while to find the right bus. You want one by next week?
Probably gona pay big bucks or get a less desirable bus if in a rush.
If you're in a hurry find a nice MCI or other already converted coach. They ride nice, have plenty of power, and are just generally nice to put lots of miles on. But you're not gonna find one REALLY cheap unless you're lucky.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
Skoolie

if you need quick and cheap, go with a reasonably priced used RV, have it checked out by a pro and move in next week.
If you have time and money, the bus is WAY BETTER. However, it will take tones of time, lots of money, and lots of love. But in the end it will be yours and be the only one like it in the world. No two buses are ever the same.
Lots of fun, joy and pride to be had doing it yourself.
However, its a long road and will cost you. The cheap way of just gutting it and putting a mattress on the floor and an old Coleman stove works for a weekend or a single guy, but to keep the wife/GF happy, you need it to be more homey. You will need a shower, sink, stove, closets, etc. Electricity for the hair dryer and curling iron, computer, TV, etc. are needed for long term.
Yes you can go minimal, but you both better be fully committed to that life style, or you are in for a rough time and maybe a divorce.
Good luck, and do more research.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Yes Default,you are CRAZY !!!!! Who wants to be boringly sane? Oldmopar is absolutely right. It is definitely not for everyone.living full time is not even for me and my wife. We love the idea of making it OURS though. I suspect that's most of us.Wanderwoman is dead on. No two alike. Most of all,have fun EVEN IF YOU ARE CRAZY !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote