Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

How did you guys install your roof vents ?

I bought a pair of elixir vents and am wondering if there is a "best practice" for cutting the hole and installing the vent ?

Thanks,

Rick

RichardRWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: How did you guys install your roof vents ?

I made starter holes with my angle grinder, then used a recip saw to cut the hole. However, I found the recip saw to be difficult to work with, and eventually just used the angle grinder. Only thing you gotta be careful about if you use the angle grinder up there is setting the insulation on fire. I almost did, but when I saw the stuff smoking I quickly took care of it before it became a problem...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Skoolie

When I cut the hole in my roof for the AC unit I used a drill to mark the corners and tin snips to cut the sheetmetal with. They cut real easy and no noise or mess.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Excellent help, I hadn't thought of the snips. I was set to use the sawzall but was worried that the blade would go wonky between the two layers and cut crooked.

I would think I'll need to fill the gap between the two layers of steel with something solid, I was thinking chunks of pressure treated wood ?

Is the roof rounded enough to require filler strips at the sides or no ?

Thanks guys, and girls if you are out there

Rick
Old 06-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Skoolie

I filled in the gaps on the left and right sides with regular 1x3 trimmed down to fit the gap. Had to have something in there to keep the two roof parts from meeting in the middle when installing the AC unit. I didnt take any pics of the wood strips in there the first time, but I will on the next AC unit that i put in.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Got the first vent installed tonight. I marked it off from the inside, drilled the four corners, cut out the square with jigsaw with fine metal blade, then trimmed with tinsnips to fit the inside trim properly. I then went on the roof and repeated the same process up there. I did use the comercial install kit which worked well, and I didn't seem to need to put anything between the two tin roofs. I can always take off the inner trim and put a spacer in later if needed. I also was able to install without any shims. 92 blue bird TC2000, seems to have a fairly flat top in the center.

Thanks all,

Rick
Old 06-27-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
Skoolie

Don't use pressure treated wood for fillers!

That stuff is CORROSIVE, due to the chemicals used for the preservatives. The manufacturers only recommend using double-dipped galvy, stainless steel, or ceramic-coated fasteners.

The PT made nowadays will eat your steel bus roof.

Regular 2x stock will do a good job. Apply a good sealant BEFORE installing the roof vents, that way they sit in the sealant and squish the joints full, guaranteeing a better seal.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

I have a Elixir roof vent also. I was looking at it tonight and I noticed the part of the vent that protrudes down in the interior is 1". But the space in between the 2 roof skins is 1 3/4". So there would be a 3/4" gap between the lower ceiling skin and the vent.

Is it just the type of vent I have maybe? Or are they all pretty much the same.

Any pictures of installation of one of these vents?

Dan
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Ok. Thanks Smitty.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I had a similar problem with an even bigger gap. I wound up using an extra inner trim ring and simply taped it to the other one. It was a different color so I also had to paint it white, but it worked out very well...

I have hundreds of images you could look through AT MY SITE and you're welcome to look through them, maybe you will find something useful there...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Vent trim rings are available in different heights. Mine was too long, so all I did was cut it to fit. When I installed my roof vent I just marked out the 14x14 square with tape on the inside of the roof. Then I drilled 1/8" holes in the four corners through the inner skin and right on through the outer skin from the inside. Then all I had to do was take an air saw and connect the dots. Roof vent fit perfectly.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Almost There

Year: 85
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: G.M.C. 6000 series
Engine: 366 G.M.
Rated Cap: 60

Mr. Jkindd has got it going on. thats the way I put mine in, but I used a half inch drive drill using one inch hole saw in the corners drilling through both layers then used a sawsall with a long enough blade to cut the inner and outer at the same time. Then I finished the hole with 1x2 pine boards between the inner and outer metal, Did it all from the outside didnt have to deal with metal chips falling in my face or a grinder setting the insulation on fire. Oh yea dont do this without proper eye protection safety always.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
Bus Nut

You know what? Mine didn't even come with a trim ring, so maybe that is messing me up also. Well, maybe I can find one for my application.

Thanks for the pics! Came out great.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14

Just thought I'd throw out an idea for those putting in roof vents. If you put in enough of them and have not thought about putting in a roof top air unit, pre wire it up there so you would have less work doing it later.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote