Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DT 466
How do I prevent condensation in ceiling?

Hi, thank you all for the advice so far, and on my other post about flooring. Unfortunately, I jumped the gun a little, as my ceiling has multiple leaks. So what I have done, is taken apart the fire escape hatch and the ceiling surrounding the fire escape hatch, (which is where the biggest leaks were originating from. I calcked the hell out of everything, leaving no crack unfilled, so that should fix that problem, but the part of the ceiling that I took down,(which has insulation attatched to it), had rust everywhere. So I chizzled it off and repainted over it with "Rust-o-leum" primer. the next day I check on its status and I noticed a considerable amount of condensation accruing on the ceiling, (the part of the ceiling that I removed, so now the part exposed is the sheet metal seperating the inside from the outside. So, my question for this post is, How do I go about preventing or minimizing condensation? My guess is that because of the metal, that its going to do it reguardless. I've thought of using a spray adhesive sealent. I've also thought of purchasing some new insulation, even though this doesn't look that bad, maybe some higher grade for that area, or just having newer insulation will soak up any water without causing mold or mildew. As always, any advice would be much appreciated. thank you

jjhomeonewheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DT 466
Re: How do I prevent condensation in ceiling?

updating: So I did some reading around, and from what i gathered, the insulation doesn't need replacing unless it gets wet and doesn't dry after a few days. So what I have decided to do, is continue to take down the rest of the ceiling and walls, and add insulation over the top of the old insulation. I guess, depending on how expensive the new insulation will be.
jjhomeonewheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Compressed fiberglass insulation looses it's R value and insulation factor when compressed. don't over stuff it...... just wasted time and money.

Thinking out loud here, NO actual experience on converting buses of any kind....... FYI

Seal the top on outside with some type of sealer ??? Paint on kind.
Then remove the metal panels inside the bus. To replace the insulation or use a foam spray type. I would spray it on...
Line the ceiling with plastic sheeting........ Then either replace your metal panels or put in a custom built ceiling of your choice......
Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
...Seal the top on outside with some type of sealer ??? Paint on kind. ......
"Bus-kote" is the product many people use: http://hytechsales.com/prod2150.html
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote