Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #1

How does one find space for a conversion??

I live in PA and currently in an apartment. There is no space for a conversion and the closest relatives or friends with the space for it live 6 hours away... Help? Advice?

GMcClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think a lot has to do with how much conversion.. is your bus exterior going to stay mainly stock, or are you completely cutting it up, raising the roof etc..

I rent a covered satorage spot at a local U-haul place.. . they dont mind me working on my busses there.. but I also never leave a mess and the exteriors arent in shambles..

there are sometimes RV storage lots in small towns that are just gravel lots where you can park.. might be able to work on one there..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1981
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: MCI 9
Engine: Detroit 6V-92T
Rated Cap: 1,000,000
As mentioned, storage lots are probably your best solution. I'd look around and see what their contracts state. Some might put it on their website, especially if they're a national chain. If you sign a contract that doesn't say you can't work on your bus, then they legally can't stop you. Of course, there's probably a clause that prevents you from being a nuisance or messy, so they could try to be vague and hit you with that if one (or both) of you are jerks.

If they don't have the terms easily accesible, give them a call and ask... you don't need to tell them you're going to be doing major work on your bus (they'll probably just say no at that point, but I've seen storage areas that specifically advertised to people looking to work on cars). Just say you're wondering if it's ok if you do 'some' work on it.
Likwid_Kaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likwid_Kaneo View Post
As mentioned, storage lots are probably your best solution. I'd look around and see what their contracts state. Some might put it on their website, especially if they're a national chain. If you sign a contract that doesn't say you can't work on your bus, then they legally can't stop you. Of course, there's probably a clause that prevents you from being a nuisance or messy, so they could try to be vague and hit you with that if one (or both) of you are jerks.

If they don't have the terms easily accesible, give them a call and ask... you don't need to tell them you're going to be doing major work on your bus (they'll probably just say no at that point, but I've seen storage areas that specifically advertised to people looking to work on cars). Just say you're wondering if it's ok if you do 'some' work on it.
I used the "say least is most" method when I rented my storage spot.. figured id let them tell me if working on my bus was an issue..

i did a custom transmission swap in my storage spot and they never said a word to me about it...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote