Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
How has your paint held up?

I'm getting ready to pick out my colors. I'm going to have a solid color and the an accent color on the rubrails, mirrors, etc. I'm not overly concerned with a showroom finish, I'd like it to be very durable and fixable if I cut a corner too tight.

I'd like to find out how your paint has held up and what you used. I am interested in successes and failures. I'm most interested in those that have at least a 5 year old paint job.

karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
Skoolie

Coachwork: Ward
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Bueller?... Bueller?...Bueller?
karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I can say that my "pro" (dealer) paint job from 6 months or so ago using acrylic enamel has already had to have a little touch up work done.. it does not take kindly to rock chips or accidentil finger-nails or bumping into with bicycles, etc..

I have a feeling long before 5 years that paint job will be gone and replaced..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Im pretty happy with my $60 Rustoleum job. Its by no means perfect, and only a few months old. But seems to have adhered good enough and I can buy "gloss white" spray paint at any hardware store for touch ups as needed.
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Not on my bus, but the same paint I used on the bus I used on my dads CUCV around three or so years ago. Its parked outside in full sun everyday, and we abuse the hell out of it. Pulling trees out of the river, hauling wood/rock/gravel, lighting pasture fire in the spring, etc... The paint has faded a little bit but its hard as nails and has only chalked a little bit over the years. Its a flat finish paint and I'm not sure how it holds up if you use additives to make it glossy. Alkyd Enamel just like us military used and possibly still uses. Tough as nails. Bout $40 bucks a gallon and I used about 3 total on my full size bus.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Not on my bus, but the same paint I used on the bus I used on my dads CUCV around three or so years ago. Its parked outside in full sun everyday, and we abuse the hell out of it. Pulling trees out of the river, hauling wood/rock/gravel, lighting pasture fire in the spring, etc... The paint has faded a little bit but its hard as nails and has only chalked a little bit over the years. Its a flat finish paint and I'm not sure how it holds up if you use additives to make it glossy. Alkyd Enamel just like us military used and possibly still uses. Tough as nails. Bout $40 bucks a gallon and I used about 3 total on my full size bus.
That paint the military uses is tough, but with darker colors it tends to look oxidized. I spent everyday with Humv and Cucv for a few years and punished the paint ( and vehicles ) and i dont think i ever seen it scratch short of an accident.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
Im pretty happy with my $60 Rustoleum job. Its by no means perfect, and only a few months old. But seems to have adhered good enough and I can buy "gloss white" spray paint at any hardware store for touch ups as needed.
I like this!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

If you want something to last you, go with a urethane single stage. You would have to spray it(vs roll or brush), but the extra money you spend will get you a paint job that outlasts any other option.

I'm not saying rustoleum jobs won't last, if you prep it correctly.. but depending on what you want in the long run, it's worth a look.

I spray excavation equipment for a local company. I have seen trucks that I sprayed 10 plus years ago that look great! Keep in mind these trucks are used to work, move earth. They get beat up and never see a roof over them.

You can buy a cheap spray gun for 40 bucks at harbor freight.

You will spend probably close to 80 bucks for a gallon of paint including harder and reducer. I spray Nason full thane.

It's extremely easy to paint with endless colors available. You will get a shiny and smooth paint job that has UV protection, and is durable.

If you want more info, let me know. Just remember, if you have to paint it twice, it's twice the material and twice the time. I live by the motto, do it once do it right.
Tegra1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Ditto on what T-1027 said.

My hardened urethane paint is nearing 5 years old and still looks like new. I'll admit that I do keep it clean and wax it twice a year. Both colors are easy to touch up when they get chipped. I did a through prep before I painted and when it comes to spraying paint this ain't my first rodeo. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
has any one mentioned the type of paint the manufactures used. Most skoolies are old and can be waxed and puffed so it must be a good option.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint