Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
Bus Nut

How much did you raise the roof of your bus?

and what did you do with the extra space? I am still trying to decide - tiny house on a trailer or converted skoolie. The skoolie is more likely to win because I am considering developing a concession business to transition into that will require traveling around the country.

I want more height for the following reasons:

* I want the minimum head clearance to be 7' +6"
* I want about 4" of insulation in the top of the bus (will be used in the cold of winter) +4"
* I want about 3" of insulation in the floor of the bus (it might be easier to add the insulation on top of the present floor and then put a new floor on top of that. +3"
* I would like about 10" of protected storage space in the bottom of the bus. The could be accomplished by using the space under the present floor (that is quickly be using up by a generator, fuel tanks, water tanks, etc) or to add 10" more to the height of the bus and make a 10" storage space on top of the floor - then add a new floor on top of the storage space. This storage space would be used for batteries, plumbing, water tanks, food storage, etc +10".

Somewhere along the line...as I thought of these...how would the center of gravity be affected by all of these changes?

Any ideas?

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
My info

I'm going to be raising my roof in the next two weeks I think. I have 4 inches of insulation in the roof but 2 inches of it is between the ribs so I lost 2 inches in height there. I'll be putting 4 inches of insulation on the floor. My windows measure 24 1/4 inches top to bottom. When I cover the window holes I want 1/2" above the eyebrows so if I go up 23 1/4" a 4 foot sheet will fit just right. I am going to put in a suspended ceiling so I'll lose 5 or 6 more inches there. My final inside height will be just under seven feet. As far as center of gravity the higher you go and the more weight you put up there ( and the faster you go around curves) the worse it will be. The insulation is not all that heavy, just watch adding wood etc. Upper cabinets will add to it also. Good luck.