Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 98
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: D
Engine: 7.2L turbo Cat C7 3126
Rated Cap: 84
How much to swap out a tire?

I have a 98 Thomas MVP and 7 bus tires. 6 of the tires are installed on the bus, and of those, 5 look to be in great shape. The 6th mounted tire has much less tread on it. The 7th tire is new and is being stored in the lower bus storage compartment. I would like to swap places between tires 6 and 7 (use the oldest tire as a spare until I can get a brand new spare and install the new tire in it's place.)

I am very new to truck repair costs. About how much should it cost to drive my bus to a shop and have them remove the old tire and install the new tire?

And would you suggest I go to a national truck place(TA, Pilot, or Love's) or is it better to go to a tire specific store like Bridgestone, or perhaps a local truck mechanic?

Thanks so much!

Photos of my bus can be seen at:
TheBigBusTheory.wordpress.com

gobygoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Save the good tire for later.

You want to keep the same size tires on the drive axle--all four need to be the same height or you will be having additional tire problems as one tire will be carrying more weight than another. Additionally, if one side is enough taller than the other you run the risk of burning out the rear end as it will always be differentialling.

Your best tires, and not a recap, should be up front.

If changing the tire you mean to swap one mounted tire for another it could cost anywhere from $15.00 to $100.00.

If there is a large truck stop near by that has a tire shop you will most likely find a lower price if you go during the business day during the week. Nights and weekends might be handier for you but many times the prices can be higher.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

A very interesting thing happens when you run mismatched tires, everything he said plus.... the taller tire does carry more weight but the shorter one actually skids due to the difference in radius and heats up and will probably be the first to blow because of heat. Had it happen to me. Run matched heights at all costs. Don't assume all tires of the same listed size actually are the same size. Different brands can measure different heights. Don't take chances on tires in a vehicle that large carrying that expensive of cargo, your loved ones [emoji1]
Eric
daddyoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Pilot and Love's are usually just a fuel stop and C-store and do NOT offer mechanical services.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Pilot and Love's are usually just a fuel stop and C-store and do NOT offer mechanical services.

Some do. I've seen tire sales, some mechanical services, PM services.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Tire info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Yea most do now, good places for tire deals.
Skoolydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
Almost There

Year: 98
Chassis: D
Engine: 7.2L turbo Cat C7 3126
Rated Cap: 84
All 6 installed tires on the bus are Goodyear. I had a mechanic friend check them out, and he said they were nice tires, and fairly expensive originally. 5 of them have lots of tread left, but the front drivers side tire is getting pretty low. He pointed out the wear bar, which has not been reached yet, but is getting close. The spare tire is not goodyear, but it is brand new.

So based on cowlitzcoach's comment that the best tires should be up front, should I have the spare installed on the front driver's side?

The spare tire does not have a rim attached, so I wouldn't be able to install it myself in an emergency, plus I'm not sure my air compressor would be strong enough to power the 3/4 impact wrench (which I don't own) needed to remove the wheel. So is it worth hanging on to the worn tire as a spare, or should I just sell it and use the storage space under the bus for something else?
gobygoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
What's the date codes of the tire? If it is as new as you're saying I'd get one new one that matches the spare, mount both of those on the front and then keep your good front tire as the spare. That'd be the best way to do it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Agree with Booyah. You don't want mis-matched treads on the same axle, especially the steers.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote