Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: CAT3126b
Rated Cap: 64
How on earth do I get this thing inspected

Hey guys!

My project is coming along quite well. I will be posting progress pictures here by the end of the month. Maybe some pictures of our first trip.

But.... I am having a little issue.

I can't seem to find anywhere that is willing to do the yearly state inspection for me. Here are the details:
I have the bus already in my possession. It IS titled as a motor home. It IS plated as a motor home. It IS insured as a "commercial vehicle for private use." It IS operable. It DOES have air brakes.

2001 Freightliner FS-65 Thomas built 3126b 7.2 engine 64 pass dognose

I have been doing all the work to get it ready and have chatted with the nice insurance people and they don't seem to have a problem with anything going on here. Neither does penndot. I do have to get it inspected for the PA yearly inspection... but all the shops I talk to are really not helpful. Since it is a "Motor home" it would fall under the standard inspection that people would get on their cars, trucks, ect... but it has air brakes so nobody wants to touch it. I called around and found an international dealer that has an airbrake guy but they don't think they can do it because it isn't considered a commercial vehicle anymore. I am kind of clueless as where to go and I need to know soon. Trips have been planned and the clock is ticking.

I welcome and questions or ideas yinz might have.

Thank you for your time!

Alpha4005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha4005 View Post
Hey guys!

My project is coming along quite well. I will be posting progress pictures here by the end of the month. Maybe some pictures of our first trip.

But.... I am having a little issue.

I can't seem to find anywhere that is willing to do the yearly state inspection for me. Here are the details:
I have the bus already in my possession. It IS titled as a motor home. It IS plated as a motor home. It IS insured as a "commercial vehicle for private use." It IS operable. It DOES have air brakes.

2001 Freightliner FS-65 Thomas built 3126b 7.2 engine 64 pass dognose

I have been doing all the work to get it ready and have chatted with the nice insurance people and they don't seem to have a problem with anything going on here. Neither does penndot. I do have to get it inspected for the PA yearly inspection... but all the shops I talk to are really not helpful. Since it is a "Motor home" it would fall under the standard inspection that people would get on their cars, trucks, ect... but it has air brakes so nobody wants to touch it. I called around and found an international dealer that has an airbrake guy but they don't think they can do it because it isn't considered a commercial vehicle anymore. I am kind of clueless as where to go and I need to know soon. Trips have been planned and the clock is ticking.

I welcome and questions or ideas yinz might have.

Thank you for your time!
Just a suggestion. Find a small shop somewhere that is owned by a wiser, older individual and talk to them. They may be more inclined to help you out. As far as the air brakes issue. That's not the only motor home in PA with air brakes. Worst case, talk to an RV dealer and find out who they recommend.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post
Just a suggestion. Find a small shop somewhere that is owned by a wiser, older individual and talk to them. They may be more inclined to help you out. As far as the air brakes issue. That's not the only motor home in PA with air brakes. Worst case, talk to an RV dealer and find out who they recommend.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I was going to suggest that same thing. Lots of class a rigs have air brakes. Possibly an RV dealer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I don't have a regular shop around me that will touch mine so I go through a heavy duty truck garage.
They only do full DOT inspections but they look at all the important stuff and let me know if there is something to address/look at before the next year's inspection.
Good luck.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote