Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2024, 04:44 PM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
How on earth to get this thing registered?

Hello there, you fine creative MacGuyvers and mavericks!

Can you please help me problem-solve?

So my beautiful converted skoolie is in California with expired Maryland license plates.

Iím currently a resident of Illinois.

How can I get it across the country safely and legally and quickly?

(Iím a BIPOC woman, so Iím extra nervous plus itís 40 ft long with air brakes!)

There was an issue with the title being in South America, but itís been located and I will have it in my possession.

Also, is there any way to get it registered in Vermont? I heard that loophole ended but would it count to have ties to VT if I registered for online classes at a Vermont Community College?

Thanks so much for reading and for any advice and suggestions! Happy Trails!

ThoreaulyCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 05:36 PM   #2
-TC-'s Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Florida
Posts: 26
Coachwork: IC / Navistar
Chassis: Flatnose RE
Engine: 7.6L International
Rated Cap: 17 Tons
Title, Registration & Insurance

Hello & Welcome.

Converted skoolie is a loose term.

I don't have an answer. Just more questions, which in turn, will help us answer you more clearly.

The Title, Registration and Insurance.
Three documents, three answers:
●Are all of the aforementioned documents in Your name, the Sellers name or worse, a third (unavailable) party? Please specify for each.

●Does the documentation (for each) read Commercial Vehicle, Recreational Vehicle, Personal Use, Food Truck....? ie, does the "converted skoolie" also have converted RV documentation). ie previously Titled, Registered & Insured, as an RV.

You did mention the bus having (someone's) expired plate.
● Are we to presume the paper (VT)Registration & Insurance are also expired? Either or both of these documents, not current?
-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 06:44 PM   #3
New Member
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
It’s a Paved to Pines professional conversion. They’re a Canadian company that specializes in skoolies (well, only vans now). This was converted in 2021 and then the original owner’s life plans changed. The Maryland license plate registration expired in 2022.

I’ve been told the insurance is not expired and it’s thru State Farm. I think I have the policy number/photo of the card.

The title has been located and is back in the US. It is in the current owner’s name.

Title, registration, and insurance are ALL in the current owner’s name because I wasn’t about to fork over money when the title was missing in action and I needed to figure out the logistics of getting it back.

I took a “vacation” out to see it, inspect it, and even slept two nights in it figuring out the systems. It’s parked in an industrial area/shop location so I was able to plug into shore power and use their water.

Anyway…any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The Vermont thing was because I see a lot of skoolies registered there, I think you don’t even have to live there to get licensed as a skoolie.
ThoreaulyCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:41 PM   #4
New Member
River's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 8
I registered a licensed mine in South Dakota through Americas Mailbox all the remote
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:04 AM   #5
Bus Crazy
ewo1's Avatar
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Central Tx.
Posts: 2,091
Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Bus is in Califronia and title/registration in Maryland?



I purchased a vehicle that has not been safety inspected in Maryland. Can I obtain a temporary registration in order to drive the vehicle to an inspection station?
Yes, if you have a title for the vehicle, or are applying for a Maryland title at the same time, you may be eligible for a 30-day temporary registration. Note that the temporary registration is provided so that you can drive your vehicle to and from an authorized Maryland inspection station, weighing station, or repair facility in order to have the vehicle pass a Maryland safety inspection.

To apply for the 30-day temporary registration, complete the Temporary Inspection Waiver VR-129 form. Be sure to include your insurance information; your vehicle liability insurance policy must conform to Marylandís minimum liability insurance requirements.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:55 PM   #6
Bus Nut
A_Bus_Called_Quest's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 262
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Originally Posted by River View Post
I registered a licensed mine in South Dakota through Americas Mailbox all the remote
Can you elaborate more on the SD registration method?
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:25 AM   #7
New Member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2
Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Originally Posted by A_Bus_Called_Quest View Post
Can you elaborate more on the SD registration method?
Sign up and get an SD mailbox and register your vehicle in SD.
pkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.