Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #1

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466
How to lock hood

We're getting our bus in a couple of weeks. It's an International dog-nose bus. We'll be parking it outside our housing complex at night and unfortunately we live in a part of the world where people will try to take anything that is not secured.

Does anyone have a solution for locking your engine compartment? Pad lock is my current best idea but down the line that probably won't look too great.

Viernes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

you could bolt the hood down with security head bolts. they would not be obvious, and most thieves just want to pop the hood and steal whatever they can and get out of there. Doubtful they would take the time to try and do more than what they could do in 5 minutes.
StrayPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayPoet View Post
you could bolt the hood down with security head bolts. they would not be obvious, and most thieves just want to pop the hood and steal whatever they can and get out of there. Doubtful they would take the time to try and do more than what they could do in 5 minutes.
left my paint van ( 14' chevy cube van ) in the parking area of the building we were painting - fortunately it was locked securely because there was about 100 gals of top line paint, my 30 cfm compressor, 3 airless sprayers, and drawers full of hand tools, etc, etc, etc, ( a mobile tool carrier about as full of 'stuff' as I could get it ) - someone or some group tried to break into it - they did a bit of damage to the doors in their efforts, then, I can only think, out of frustration they broke the windshield wipers and kicked the grill in - imagine that, someone angry that they couldn't steal from me so they got even by damaging the van!
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viernes View Post

Does anyone have a solution for locking your engine compartment? Pad lock is my current best idea but down the line that probably won't look too great.
That's on my to-do list.

I plan on bolting a footman loop to the underside of the hood (top dead center), then drilling a small hole through the firewall to allow passage of a t handle hex key with a 'hook' bent into the end (like on a lace tightener). Turn the hook sideways, pass through the loop, then turn the hook down. The hex key will be more robust than the one in the pic.
Attached Images

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
I would be worried about the battery compartment. Mine does not have a lock on it and seems that it would be easy pickings, especially at $100+ for each battery.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Agreed on the battery compartment. As dumb as it is that people are able to sell used batteries, to my knowledge it doesn't really extend to things they can pull off your motor.

Meanwhile, the expensive NAPA Commercial 8D batteries sitting on a nice slide out tray on my bus are an easy target.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Needs more than a lock. Lock only keeps the honest people honest. I needed to get into the battery box on the TC2000, had no key. About 15 seconds with a square drive bit in the impact had the door off by removing the screws in the bottom hinge. If my bus had these type hinges I would tack weld the screws to make it that much more work to get in.
Attached Thumbnails
20190423_121324.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayPoet View Post
Thanks for the tip! That's exactly what I need to make it through the first few days. I have never done anything like this before. Didn't even know these bolts existed.

Do you know if I need to install something to "Receive" the bolt or do I just drill a hole on both parts and attach the bolt?
Old 04-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #9

Some people around here will really take anything they can get their hands on. I'm going to try to bolt down the battery compartment too until I can figure out something more permanent.

I got lucky with the front door. It locks with the opening bar and the emergency exit can be closed with a pad lock.

Thank you very much everyone!