Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Bus Nut

How to make a skoolie look less like a school bus

The first answer to this question - I am looking to get a pusher, I think they are called a type D. Painting goes without saying - gotta nix the school bus orange. Then comes removing the extra lighting and replacing with something legal....after that...what is the easiest thing to make the skoolie look less like a skoolie? I don't know how to make a poll so have included some options here to get your brains moving in this direction:
- tinting windows
- replacing the door with a more "house looking" door
- covering some of the windows
- replacing some of the skin with flat sheetmetal
- chrome rims
- ???

Let your imagination fly...

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
1- get rid of unnecessary school bus specific stuff. Lights, stop arm and sign, etc.
2- give it a proper paint job with something designed to paint vehicles and not houses. And yeah maybe some chrome wheel covers or alloy wheels.
3- Install RV windows and cover over areas where windows aren't needed. RV door, too.
4- Good Sam sticker.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Diff'rent strokes.

I'm doing everything I can to retain as much "school bus" character as I can

I like the buses heritage.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
A monotone paint job, like mine, only seems to signify that a bus is privately owned. However, I have considered painting SECURITY very large on both sides of the bus, with a tiny SOCIAL just above.

I skipped the alloy wheels even when I found them on auction locally. They do look nice, but they also indicate money and that would make me feel like a target for thieves.

My windows were already tinted dark.

I hate seeing a bus with a house door, especially wood doors. It reminds me of the old hippie buses.

I cover the windows with from the inside with several layers of insulation panels cut to fit. I don't cover the windows from the outside because I can actually change my floorplan inside the bus and blocked windows would make those interior changes useless for viewing out the windows.

- replacing some of the skin with flat sheet metal I'm striking out on this one. My exterior skin is flat except for the rub rails.

It's generally a requirement to remove the school bus specific equipment. I know some people have refused to remove their stop sign. I removed the extra (bugeye) mirrors and took off the eyebrows over the flashers. I even removed the small handles above the windshield. Seriously thinking of covering the large flashers.

I chose not to install RV windows in this bus. I've done it before and don't feel there is any great advantage. It's not an easy replacement, and it still looks like a school bus when you're done.

Got the Good Sam towing policy but don't remember receiving a bumper sticker. No free advertising here.

Honestly, a bus is always going to look like a bus. People spend a lot of time and effort trying to make their buses look like something else. Why start with a bus if you want it to look like an RV?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Have to totally disagree regarding RV windows vs Skoolie windows. I have never, ever seen a Skoolie window that did not..A. Leak...B. Heat up the inside...C. Help freeze the inside.

Double pane RV windows (especially with a reasonable tint) will eliminate all of the above.

My 2 cents.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Fair enough, but I have 17 windows that don't leak now. There were some seaping leaks and I'd have to think it came from the factory that way. I'd imagine you seal an RV window the same as a bus window to prevent them from leaking too, with my point being an improperly sealed RV window is going to leak too.

The severe part of our winter is pretty short. I like having all my windows available when I'm sitting out in the boondocks somewhere. Insulating the windows with panels makes all the difference during the couple cold months.

The insulative qualities of RV windows would certainly be welcomed by anyone. There's no way I can replace my bus windows with RV windows and still have the same views.

I'm not building a show bus. I want to go unnoticed if that's possible. As always it comes down to what your plans are for your bus. However, I reserve the right to completely change my mind in the future. That would be the next bus when I get to correct all the mistakes I made on this bus.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
Skoolie

I’m deleting all but four of my side windows and all the rear except for the upper emergency door and putting a rv door off a class a that I’m parting out.

Not doing it to make it look less like a bus but I guess it won’t be confused with a school bus. I plan to replace the four windows I’m keeping with dual pane rv windows as $ allows. I’m putting the rv door on because I don’t like bus doors just a hair more than I don’t like rv doors.
RRRVBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek

I have to agree on a higher quality door. Not only for the the weather, but also for security purposes.

These bus doors leak wind like a seive during the winters. The alternative to going your direction is removing the bus door and welding them together into one solid door that can then be leak proofed like any normal door. That's for those that are trying to retain the bus look.

I'm about functional utility rather than aesthetics.

I'veI got to admit, I'm impressed with the quality of work done on you guy's fancy buses.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
I started with a bus because my goal is to transform into a Coach.
Not a souless RV.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
I started with a bus because my goal is to transform into a Coach.
Not a souless RV.
So you're going to have a bunch of coach seats and not do a converion??
Or are you saying you want to make your bus like a converted coach?
Because converted coaches are mostly built with the same "soul-less" components as an RV. They usually even come with the same cheezy vinyl graphics.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
The beautiful part of buying a school bus and converting it to something you want is that you can do just that.

Some like to do certain things - others like to do something else. There is no right or wrong way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7848.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	18930
I, too, kept all windows - there is no leaking - I use reflectix on the inside to keep the heat out during the hot summer or in during the cold winter - if needed - but usually have them open - I like the natural light. The door, I just like the door - it does get colder down there - but hasn't ever been a big issue. If it gets really cold - I have a few extra blankets. But I like the camping aspect.

A lot of what you do will depend on what you want and where you will be. I plan to travel north in the summer and south in the winter - so insulating or replacing windows did not seem needed. I am happy with how things turned out. I like it looking like a school bus - (but green).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8185.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	18931
I removed the stop sign and put it in the bathroom - I use it as a bathroom light - the only thing that I think you have to remove is the "school" lettering.
In most states that I have researched, the only regulation is that you can't control traffic - so the lights can't function as a school bus (alternating flashing ambers or reds - and no stop sign extending out (you can leave the sign and paint it a different color (I believe the red with "STOP" in white may not be a looked on the exterior).
I am sure some states may not allow the lights at all - but I have not seen anything in writing about that from a state agency.

I look forward to seeing your bus!
Old 02-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
3 tone Metalflake Paint Alloy Wheels 4 on the floor and a rear spoiler Oh! it will still look like a Skoolie shoulda bought a Prevost
Old 02-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
You misunderstand.
Turning a bus, in my mind, into a coach involves dreaming, planning, savings and sacrifice and investment of your time and labor to yield something bigger than the sum of the receipts.
An RV is something you sign on the dotted line and drive away.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Paint it and dress it up like the A-Team van.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Paint it and dress it up like the A-Team van.

And it will still look like a skoolie
Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #16
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I have considered painting SECURITY very large on both sides of the bus, with a tiny SOCIAL just above.

That just made my day!! (Might just steal it one day!!)
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
And it will still look like a skoolie
Not if you actually spend the time to paint it right. And don't use house paint.
Would look like someone's badass custom coach to me, YMMV of course.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
pengyou has posted numerous queries and has yet to act on any of our responses.

He's beginning to look like a troll.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Pardon my generational gap but I had to look it up.

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with ... Wikipedia

OP has stirred the pot but it's on topic. No additional responses from him on this thread.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #20
Bus Nut

It's a social experiment where like-minded people are brought together under the guise of one unanswerable question.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote