Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversayneverbus View Post
Science! lol that is awesome. Guess the bottle jack doesn't work very well. I still like the part where you wonder if it is messing up your floor, but then keep going until the bolts break off. I would have done the same thing, just to abate my curiosity.
I figured if the floor for damaged it needed to be fixed anyway right? Might as well find out early.

Old 11-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Has anybody tried a plasma cutter?

I just discovered how much this task is going to (time!) suck...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Mitch View Post
Just started the process of seat removal this evening and discovered doing it alone is going to be a little more work.

My Mom is always saying she wants to assist me with the skoolie conversion but I kinda feel bad about having an 85 y.o. woman rolling around under the bus...but she DID say she wanted to help !
My Grampa helped me tear out the seats and interior walls, and Gramma has helped me do the interior build by holding pieces while I cut or drill. They're both hale and in their early 70's. We all took our sweet ass time, and I told them if they weren't in the mood or didn't want to, not to. It was actually rather nice, some memory building and bonding.
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 25' Bluebird
Engine: T444
Rated Cap: GVWR 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Has anybody tried a plasma cutter?

I just discovered how much this task is going to (time!) suck...
YES!
When I bought my bus, the guy who sold it to me (a bus dealer) had all seats cut out of there with a cutting torch in less than an hour. He didn't charge me anything for it because he wanted to sell the seats. He did flood the bus with about an inch of water to do it, so things don't get torched. Worth it!
gabrielah77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Has anyone tried an air chisel? Just wondering, my seats came out so long ago I don't remember how I did it.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick View Post
Has anyone tried an air chisel? Just wondering, my seats came out so long ago I don't remember how I did it.
100-5/16" bolts is a lot to ask of a chisel.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielah7 View Post
YES!
When I bought my bus, the guy who sold it to me (a bus dealer) had all seats cut out of there with a cutting torch in less than an hour. He didn't charge me anything for it because he wanted to sell the seats. He did flood the bus with about an inch of water to do it, so things don't get torched. Worth it!
Since I don't know if/when I'll be getting the plywood up I wouldn't want to leave it saturated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
100-5/16" bolts is a lot to ask of a chisel.
I wish my bolts were only 5/16" -- with the flanged head bolts sitting in a recess it's more like a 1/2" bolt...

Native's suggestion to cut an "X" onto the head of the bolt through the flange though still effin' tedious is the least painful method so far...

Wishing I'd sprung for the plasma cutter -- only $320 for the model I've been eyeing...
Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick View Post
They're grade 5 and pretty hard and tough. Unless they're completely rusted to oblivion I don't think an air chisel would do much.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:43 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
They're grade 5 and pretty hard and tough. Unless they're completely rusted to oblivion I don't think an air chisel would do much.
Mine are grade 8 -- not braggin'...

(I am saving all the bolts from the chair rail -- that's a good bit of hardware!)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Mine are grade 8 -- not braggin'...

(I am saving all the bolts from the chair rail -- that's a good bit of hardware!)
Huh- now I'll have to go check next time I'm at my Thomas. My IC had grade 5.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Huh- now I'll have to go check next time I'm at my Thomas. My IC had grade 5.
My cheap HF cutting discs would hold up longer to grade 5...
Old 12-03-2019, 11:22 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
My cheap HF cutting discs would hold up longer to grade 5...
Try one of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-4...701F/202831019

That's what I used on half of my seats, which from what I've seen of your bus are just like yours. Only bought one wheel and although it's now missing an inch of width it's still working really well as I currently use it to remove stripped screws in the floor. I drove the wheel right into the head, reduces the entire head to slag. Worked great, though I did start a couple of small fires that put themselves out almost immediately. But I also don't have plywood, so be ready with a fire plan just in case.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #53
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
Try one of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-4...701F/202831019

That's what I used on half of my seats, which from what I've seen of your bus are just like yours. Only bought one wheel and although it's now missing an inch of width it's still working really well as I currently use it to remove stripped screws in the floor. I drove the wheel right into the head, reduces the entire head to slag. Worked great, though I did start a couple of small fires that put themselves out almost immediately. But I also don't have plywood, so be ready with a fire plan just in case.
Oh my goodness! I have grinding wheels a plenty -- grinding the entire (recessed!) head off sounds like a lot of time and heat...

I'll be shunned but for now I'm planning to keep the plywood and the 1/8" rubber mat...
Old 12-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #54
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I had to grind them on my BBAA because it has undercarriage storage cabinets blocking access to the underside of the floor. That look a long time and made a lot of metal dust...

I will start shunning you immediately for not pulling up your plywood and rubber!
Old 12-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Oh my goodness! I have grinding wheels a plenty -- grinding the entire (recessed!) head off sounds like a lot of time and heat...

I'll be shunned but for now I'm planning to keep the plywood and the 1/8" rubber mat...
A lot of heat, very much yes. A ton of dust that I should've been using a dust mask in, yes. A lot of time, well if I was using a corded one then not really. My Milwaukee Fuel Grinder made really short work of my 3.0Ah batteries. Got about a seat to a battery, perhaps no more than 10 minutes to a seat.

But it got the job done and the bus didn't burn down so I'm pleased with the results. And yes, mine were recessed as well.

You do you, I'm taking my floor up with a hammer and a chisel that I'm going to abuse the lifetime warranty out of. I'm 7 feet in on one side and already on my second one
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:34 AM   #56
Bus Crazy

Tried something a little different yesterday -- I used visegrips to hold a boxend wrench to the nuts underneath the bus. Then I tighted the bolts from inside the bus -- an easy ½ turn twisted them off...
Having 4 ½" wrenches and vicegrips (can't never own too many visegrips!) meant I could do several bolts at a time for each roll under the bus session...
I was even able to hold the open-end of the wrench in place this way for the nut that are too close to the subframe to take the box-end.

This was probably a little slower then grinding the bolt heads but so much more pleasant, and maybe even a littler easier on my back...

ALSO I wanted to remove some of the seats non-destructively for resuse.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #57
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Keep at it, you will get it done.

The angle grinder with a cut-off can indeed get those hard to remove ones. You may need to cut from the bottom of the head (from inside the bus) down into the foot at a shallow angle and you may need to do this from the other side of the foot as well. Once the angled cut has been made, hit it with a cold chisel and hammer to remove the head of the bolt then a punch to drop the bolt down through the bottom of the floor.

You may even need to cut the foot off and remove the seat to gain access. That is how I will do my NEXT bus as I discovered it on the last few seats.

P.S. I removed all of our seats by myself. I cut them all out. The bottom nuts were too well corroded to easily remove them with a wrench.
I agree with you. Just cut the seat legs and get the seat out of the way. Seats are junk anyway.No need to be a contortionist for us old guys.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:24 AM   #58
Almost There

Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkn4it View Post
I used an air impact driver on top. Once the bolt got a little loose, I jammed a pry bar under it to keep tension on the nut underneath and let the impact go full speed.
I believe this to be the winning comment!
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #59
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
I just did the job by myself. Vice grips for the bottom and an impact driver with a socket for the top. Had an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel handy for the tough ones.
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:33 AM   #60

*Some* SeatBrackets Have 'Space' for SawzAll/HackzAll Blades...

*Some* SeatBrackets have room for SawzAll/HackzAll Blades between the Bracket/Floor (from Front&Back, because they are 'Channeled Extrusions)...
There are Metal 'Demolition' Blades of various lengths (over 12") and widths to tackle this process with WAY Less Dust and TIME...
You can use the steel channeled Bracket 'walls' as a cantilever pivot for more leverage... (only if *Needed* - do not break blades or labor the saw!)
Many of those BOLTS that cannot be (easily) reached from *BETWEEN*, can be gotten to by cutting the head off (carefully, as there is potential for 'kickback' and bending blades and such...
... and a few may still need a grinder, or SDS Hammer type of tool or Acetylene Torch or something else...

I ground (grinded?) the Head off of one (two-turn) loosened BOLT, one Spinning BOLT... and OneSide off the RustyNut on three (from below - then put vice-grips on the open&opposite sides so I could ImpactGun the BOLTS out from the top -because the Rusty 'C' NUTS 'Expand' (or break) and 'bypass' the RustyBoltThreads - easier & quicker than GrindingHeadsOff, yet still 'Dirty' & Dusty & Rusty and not as good as ReciprocatingSaw...)...

[I 'liked' the even quicker/cleaner idea of ImpactGun TIGHTENuntilBROKEN Bolts, but they just *SPUN* (even with ViseGrips on RustyNuts)...]
Attached Thumbnails
20210319_151903.jpg   20210319_151848.jpg   20210319_151930.jpg  
NoFretBrett is offline   Reply With Quote