Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
How to spray interior floor - physical mechanics

So the (tentative) plan is to coat our interior floor with spray epoxy.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do I lay down successive coats of paint without walking on my previous work? Or do you only do as much as you can reach at a time (which would seem to imply a long time to do a bus)?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
There must be a drone out there that can spray.

Don't paint yourself into a corner either.

John
Old 07-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
So the (tentative) plan is to coat our interior floor with spray epoxy.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do I lay down successive coats of paint without walking on my previous work? Or do you only do as much as you can reach at a time (which would seem to imply a long time to do a bus)?
wear socks or equivalent over your boots when you walk on the floor to avoid dirt or damage to the existing paint - be sure to wear a double organic particle mask, a cotton spray hood, coveralls taped to your gloves at the wrists and tape the legs of the coveralls to your boots - that is NASTY stuff to spray, so read up the WHMIS reports for up to date safety measures - the label on the can will give you the proper wait times for re-coating - unless that is going to be the final surface that you walk on, that material is really overkill for the job
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
wear socks or equivalent over your boots when you walk on the floor to avoid dirt or damage to the existing paint
So it's ok to walk on the paint you just laid down before it's cured, within the immediate recoat window?

Quote:
- be sure to wear a double organic particle mask, a cotton spray hood, coveralls taped to your gloves at the wrists and tape the legs of the coveralls to your boots - that is NASTY stuff to spray, so read up the WHMIS reports for up to date safety measures -

Understood. And it makes me a bit nervous for good reason. Is the mask respirator sufficient, or is it something I should have supplied air for?

Quote:
unless that is going to be the final surface that you walk on, that material is really overkill for the job

It is not the final surface. Insulation and wood going over the top. We're just going through a lot of work & effort to eliminate what rust is there, and I wish to absolutely, positively prevent any more from forming within any reasonable time-frame. I thought this would be the most durable, corrosion-resistant coating. But I'm all ears on what you'd recommend, Sledd. I know you have tons of experience in this area. I'd very much appreciate your advice.

Considering this is the one thing I'll never get to do a re-do on (unless I rip apart the entire bus, which aint happening), it's very important to me to do this as 'right' as it can be done. Just so you know my motivation in considering epoxy. I want it to be 'the best'.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
So it's ok to walk on the paint you just laid down before it's cured, within the immediate recoat window?

Understood. And it makes me a bit nervous for good reason. Is the mask respirator sufficient, or is it something I should have supplied air for?

It is not the final surface. Insulation and wood going over the top. We're just going through a lot of work & effort to eliminate what rust is there, and I wish to absolutely, positively prevent any more from forming within any reasonable time-frame. I thought this would be the most durable, corrosion-resistant coating. But I'm all ears on what you'd recommend, Sledd. I know you have tons of experience in this area. I'd very much appreciate your advice.

Considering this is the one thing I'll never get to do a re-do on (unless I rip apart the entire bus, which aint happening), it's very important to me to do this as 'right' as it can be done. Just so you know my motivation in considering epoxy. I want it to be 'the best'.
I'd get rid of the rust as much as is practical, paint with one coat of Rustolium primer ( or competitor's product ) then 2 coats of Rustolium finish coat, cover it up with what ever flooring you plan on using - when your grandkids decide to remodel the old bus that grampa fixed up into a motor home, they will likely find a well painted floor in good condition long after you and I are long gone - the only rust there might be would have eaten through from underneath
Old 07-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Thanks so much for the advice, Sledd.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I've just done pretty much exactly what Sleddgracer has described. After Ospho, a good rinse and scrub, followed by 2 days drying, I used Rust-Oleum 7769, Rusty Metal Primer followed by Rust-Oleum gloss black enamel.

I wore a 3-M mask with Organic Vapor cartridges so I didn't notice any fumes while I was painting, but then after I was done I took off the mask and could see that, with the windows open, I probably hadn't needed the mask, especially since I used a roller instead of spraying. But I still wore the mask the next two times when I painted anyway.

I didn't need any other protective clothing or anything. I got paint on me, but I ignored it until cleanup time then used paint thinner to get it off. So what I went through painting my floor sounds a lot better than Sleddgracer's description of the hazards of spraying epoxy.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
I've just done pretty much exactly what Sleddgracer has described. After Ospho, a good rinse and scrub, followed by 2 days drying, I used Rust-Oleum 7769, Rusty Metal Primer followed by Rust-Oleum gloss black enamel.

I wore a 3-M mask with Organic Vapor cartridges so I didn't notice any fumes while I was painting, but then after I was done I took off the mask and could see that, with the windows open, I probably hadn't needed the mask, especially since I used a roller instead of spraying. But I still wore the mask the next two times when I painted anyway.

I didn't need any other protective clothing or anything. I got paint on me, but I ignored it until cleanup time then used paint thinner to get it off. So what I went through painting my floor sounds a lot better better than Sleddgracer's description of the hazards of spraying epoxy.
you should have a long lasting job
Old 07-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I certainly hope so. That's the whole point. As I said in another thread, I intend to live in that bus for the rest of my life.

I'm sitting here just now watching Buster, my 13-month-old Staffordshire/Pit, chase his tail and chew on it for a while every time he catches it. He likes doing that a lot for some reason.

I see staying in one place as I age pretty much the same as Buster chasing his tail: just going around in circles and not getting anywhere.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I certainly hope so. That's the whole point. As I said in another thread, I intend to live in that bus for the rest of my life.

I'm sitting here just now watching Buster, my 13-month-old Staffordshire/Pit, chase his tail and chew on it for a while every time he catches it. He likes doing that a lot for some reason.

I see staying in one place as I age pretty much the same as Buster chasing his tail: just going around in circles and not getting anywhere.

you need to get this for Buster before he develops behavior problems -- Video
Old 07-18-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
Bus Nut

That looks awesome. Exactly what I need for a hyperactive dog like Buster. Unexpected tugs is a very good way to describe what just taking him for a walk is like.

Problem is I don't have a bike now. Someone ran over the front wheel of my last bike, while I was riding it. I landed on my head, but got more than my money's worth out of my helmet and will never ride a bike again without a helmet.

I walked away from that one with quite a few scrapes, two of which needed stitches to close up some of the more jagged places, but nothing more serious. The bike was completely destroyed, crushed into a bunch of twisted metal. I gave up riding bikes as long as I continued living in Vancouver, too many cars in that city.

I've been thinking lately that I am about due for another bike, but I have been wondering what I would do with Buster, who needs more exercise even more than I do.

Now this device has answered that question and I want one. I've bookmarked their website, but I have to get a bike first. Thanks very much for sharing that.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
That looks awesome. Exactly what I need for a hyperactive dog like Buster. Unexpected tugs is a very good way to describe what just taking him for a walk is like.

Problem is I don't have a bike now. Someone ran over the front wheel of my last bike, while I was riding it. I landed on my head, but got more than my money's worth out of my helmet and will never ride a bike again without a helmet. I walked away from that one with quite a few scrapes, two of which needed stitches to close up some of the more jagged places, but nothing more serious. The bike was completely destroyed. I gave up riding bikes as long as I continued living in Vancouver, too many cars in that city.

I've been thinking lately that I am about due for another bike, but I have been wondering what I would do with Buster, who needs more exercise even more than I do.

Now this device has answered that question and I want one. I've bookmarked their website, but I have to get a bike first. Thanks very much for sharing that.

we use structured exercise as an important part of our dog rehabilitation program - it's so much easier to use structured exercise while a dog is young and full of it, and avoid it developing behavior problems - we use the Springer Attachment for some of the dogs we work with - there are several bike attachments on the market, but the Springer, though it may be a bit pricey, is my go-to attachment - we find that it does what it claims to do, while many of the competitor's products are little better than fastening your dog to the bike frame, or so flimsy that a loose dog is inevitable
Old 07-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Problem is I don't have a bike now. Someone ran over the front wheel of my last bike, while I was riding it. I landed on my head, but got more than my money's worth out of my helmet and will never ride a bike again without a helmet.

I walked away from that one with quite a few scrapes, two of which needed stitches to close up some of the more jagged places, but nothing more serious. The bike was completely destroyed, crushed into a bunch of twisted metal. I gave up riding bikes as long as I continued living in Vancouver, too many cars in that city.
That sucks. I've been hit by a van and a car. Van stung a bit (both me and the bike). Car I ended up on my back on her front hood still clipped in, so the bike was saved. Limped away from the first, and rode away from the 2nd. I'll bet you're more bummed about your bike than the cuts, but I'm glad you're OK. My collisions were both pre-smart-phones. I can only imagine the stupidity you must face on a daily basis now.

Thanks for the input on the paint. And I think I'll be covering my holes similar to the way your are as well (only not galvanized), so thanks for that too!

Old 07-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #14
Bus Nut

@Sleddgracer, yes, it looks pretty tough and well made. I think Buster is heavier and no doubt stonger than the dogs in the video, but a couple of them look like they're pretty close, so I definitely intend to get one. I'm sure both of us will get used to it, but that process will happen out in the boonies somewhere, nowhere near Nanaimo St in Vancouver.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #15
Bus Nut

@TheHubbardBus, I didn't mention it in this thread, but I etched the galvanized metal patches by soaking them in vinegar for a few hours so the paint would stick. That seems to have worked, but regular steel would probably work just fine since it's well painted, and only exposed for the size of the hole. However, I think I would probably want to use Ospho on regular steel even if there was no visible rust, depending on how it had been stored. I tend to be kind of fussy.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yes, it looks pretty tough and well made. I think Buster is heavier and no doubt stonger than the dogs in the video, but a couple of them look like they're pretty close, so I definitely intend to get one. I'm sure both of us will get used to it, but that process will happen out in the boonies somewhere, nowhere near Nanaimo St in Vancouver.
a nice dirt trail somewhere works great - I lived near Victoria and Hastings for a short while when I was a pre-teen - it was crowded then - I can't ( or don't want to ) think about what it would be like there now - now I live just outside a small village in the West Kootenays on 25 acres - we are 25 miles from 3 small cities - most days during the day or evening, you seldom see more than 3 or 4 other vehicles when driving to any of the 3 cities and I love it - moved here more than 50 years ago and dig my heels in at the thought of even visiting the lower mainland
Old 07-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #17
Bus Nut

So you're off Highway 3 then? I've been through there a few times, beautiful country. And you get to miss Calgary too.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:

I have friends here who have TWO of the same breed. 7-8 month sisters.
Piss & vinegar doesn't begin to describe them!
Forwarded the link, even tho that means I'll now have to overhaul their bicycles sooner'n later...
Old 07-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #19
Bus Nut

@HazMatt, I can just imagine what two of them would be like. Buster has 7 sisters and no brothers. I said at the time that it was obvious who would be the alpha male in that litter. I sure called that one right on.

I think he's probably the smartest dog I've ever had. At least he recognizes way more words than any other dog I've ever had before, but I probably talk to him more than I did my other dogs.

I ran into a woman in a parking lot a couple of months ago, Buster was in the car, who was walking two of them, adults older than Buster. She had one in each hand. She was a pretty big woman, tall and fairly heavy, but not fat. She had more muscular arms than any woman I've ever seen in person before. I would not expect to win if I arm wrestled her. She obviously wasn't into steroids or weight lifting, not like some of the pictures I've seen. She just walked those dogs several times everyday. And they pulled her easily.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:

You talking bicycles or motorcycles?