Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 10:25 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Bicycles, particularly this contraption: https://www.springeramerica.com/

gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:34 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
Bicycles, particularly this contraption: https://www.springeramerica.com/
As somebody who was knocked off his bicycle at 25 mph by a sheep dog (torn PCL was the result) I would be wary of that device. I'm not sure it would prevent the dog from running into your wheel, which is what happened to me.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #23
Bus Nut

That's definitely something to think about. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I have friends here who have TWO of the same breed. 7-8 month sisters.
Piss & vinegar doesn't begin to describe them!

Is that their names?

If not, I call dibs!

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Is that their names?

If not, I call dibs![emoji3]
Pearly May & Ellie Bea
Feel free.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
So you're off Highway 3 then? I've been through there a few times, beautiful country. And you get to miss Calgary too.
yes, in Salmo - moved here from rural Haney ( now Maple Ridge ) in 66, bought this place in 68 - still a piece of paradise
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
As somebody who was knocked off his bicycle at 25 mph by a sheep dog (torn PCL was the result) I would be wary of that device. I'm not sure it would prevent the dog from running into your wheel, which is what happened to me.
I suppose it could happen in a freak accident, although it should be almost impossible, given the way it's set up - the dynamics of the attachment encourages the dog to settle down and enjoy the run very quickly - my initial test of it included my #1 race leader who had never walked on a leash in his life - his instincts and training are to run and pull HARD, and he settled down and trotted nicely beside the bike in less than 100'
Old 07-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I was impressed with the stout spring at the outriders' bottom, designed to absorb and curtail any radical canine vector changes!
Why didn't you invent that 40 years ago, Al..? [emoji848]
Old 07-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #29
Bus Nut

From watching the videos it doesn't look like the dog can get too close to the wheel.

I intend to get one of these, but I have to find a suitable bike first. And find time to ride it. I'm too busy on the bus, so Buster spends too much time tied up, but things will get better.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I was impressed with the stout spring at the outriders' bottom, designed to absorb and curtail any radical canine vector changes!
Why didn't you invent that 40 years ago, Al..? [emoji848]
40 years ago I would have more likely been wrestling than thinking - lol
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Quote:
From watching the videos it doesn't look like the dog can get too close to the wheel.

I intend to get one of these, but I have to find a suitable bike first. And find time to ride it. I'm too busy on the bus, so Buster spends too much time tied up, but things will get better.
15 minutes on the bike at a medium trot, 4 or 5 days a week with Buster now will make a difference in his behavior for the rest of his life and likely avoid the problems he's headed for - and I bet the exercise will invigorate you to work harder and faster on the bus - WIN-WIN! - lol
Old 07-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #32
Bus Nut

@Sleddgracer, I agree more exercise would be very good for both of us, but one reason I don't have a bike now is that our current location is very close to the top of a very long, steep hill. And the road is very crooked and narrow, with fairly heavy traffic moving fast, not a place I would want to ride with Buster attached to the bike even if it weren't so steep.

So Buster will have to keep getting by for now with trips to the beach every once in a while. I need to work on doing that more often. He just loves running, digging and chasing sticks, and I can see an improvement in his behavior every time we spend a few hours there.

Yes, I am familiar with Haney-Maple Ridge. I spent 7 or 8 months there, 1971-72, working for a roofing contractor who specialized in cedar shakes. I bet I wouldn't recognize much there now.

But I am no longer into North American cities with large suburban areas. I spent several years teaching at two different Chinese universities, both within a relatively short train ride of Shanghai, and so I went to Shanghai regularly.

So now, any city that doesn't have the variety and vibrancy that Shanghai has, and that means any other city I've ever been to, bores and frustrates me. Vancouver and Calgary are just irritating to me now, no interest or attraction there at all.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Quote:
@Sleddgracer, I agree more exercise would be very good for both of us, but one reason I don't have a bike now is that our current location is very close to the top of a very long, steep hill. And the road is very crooked and narrow, with fairly heavy traffic moving fast, not a place I would want to ride with Buster attached to the bike even if it weren't so steep.

So Buster will have to keep getting by for now with trips to the beach every once in a while. I need to work on doing that more often. He just loves running, digging and chasing sticks, and I can see an improvement in his behavior every time we spend a few hours there.

Yes, I am familiar with Haney-Maple Ridge. I spent 7 or 8 months there, 1971-72, working for a roofing contractor who specialized in cedar shakes. I bet I wouldn't recognize much there now.

But I am no longer into North American cities with large suburban areas. I spent several years teaching at two different Chinese universities, both within a relatively short train ride of Shanghai, and so I went to Shanghai regularly.

So now, any city that doesn't have the variety and vibrancy that Shanghai has, and that means any other city I've ever been to, bores and frustrates me. Vancouver and Calgary are just irritating to me now, no interest or attraction there at all.
those cities would be vibrant for sure - it took me quite a while to shed my type À`personality and learn to relax, although I still become bored rather quickly without mental and physical stimulation - what I do now isn`t for everyone, but it does provide me with both of the above, and my need for thrills, chills and adventure - adrenaline is a wonderful drug, and there is little that is more relaxing than a loving furry friend - lol
Old 07-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Oh, yeah, Vancouver and Calgary definitely vibrate, but the tone they produce is just too disharmonic for me. Whereas Shanghai vibrates much louder, but is very harmonic.

I fell in love with Shanghai the first time I went there. I'm quite tall; for a while in China I was dating an Australian woman who's a little taller than me. We made our first trip to Shanghai together. When we were together in the city we worked in, which was only 2 hours train ride west of Shanghai, everyone stared at us, stopped us to talk, and many of them needed to touch us to be sure we were real.

In Shanghai no one payed the slightest bit of attention to us on the street, never even a second glance. That was refreshing and began my love affair with Shanghai.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Oh, yeah, Vancouver and Calgary definitely vibrate, but the tone they produce is just too disharmonic for me. Whereas Shanghai vibrates much louder, but is very harmonic.

I fell in love with Shanghai the first time I went there. I'm quite tall; for a while in China I was dating an Australian woman who's a little taller than me. We made our first trip to Shanghai together. When we were together in the city we worked in, which was only 2 hours train ride west of Shanghai, everyone stared at us, stopped us to talk, and many of them needed to touch us to be sure we were real.

In Shanghai no one payed the slightest bit of attention to us on the street, never even a second glance. That was refreshing and began my love affair with Shanghai.

that must have been a very stimulating part of your life
Old 07-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #36
Bus Nut

It was quite an experience. Right up there with hitchhiking to the Yukon for the summer and ending up fighting forest fires every summer for 5 years. You talk about adrenalin rushes, you should try facing a 30 to 40 foot tall wall of flames that's moving toward you at about 30 miles an hour on a calm day just from the force of the wind the fire creates.

And having an A-26 drop a load fire retardent on me and my crew because of a misunderstanding about where he would anchor his drop was kind of a rush too. Fortunately, we were just on the edge of the run, and so all we got was dyed red, but seeing an A-26 heading at you is a real rush.

I can't remember having any adrenalin rushes in China, certainly not like firefighting, but I was very disappointed when the Chinese govt started telling me I was too old, but I've gotten over that.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Quote:
It was quite an experience. Right up there with hitchhiking to the Yukon for the summer and ending up fighting forest fires every summer for 5 years. You talk about adrenalin rushes, you should try facing a 30 to 40 foot tall wall of flames that's moving toward you at about 30 miles an hour on a calm day just from the force of the wind the fire creates.

And having an A-26 drop a load fire retardent on me and my crew because of a misunderstanding about where he would anchor his drop was kind of a rush too. Fortunately, we were just on the edge of the run, and so all we got was dyed red, but seeing an A-26 heading at you is a real rush.

I can't remember having any adrenalin rushes in China, certainly not like firefighting, but I was very disappointed when the Chinese govt started telling me I was too old, but I've gotten over that.

that would stimulate the adrenaline flow for sure - lol
Old 07-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:

Good luck, torn PCLs are surprisingly easy to recuperate from. Ironically enough, the main rehab for it is bicycling.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:53 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Engine: DT408
Quote:
I'm sitting here just now watching Buster, my 13-month-old Staffordshire/Pit, chase his tail and chew on it for a while every time he catches it. He likes doing that a lot for some reason. .
That's because it feels so good when he stops! 😂😂😂.

Check the TDS (Technical Data Sheet) on the epoxy paint. Most two part epoxy paints require some cure time before recoat. You should be able to walk on it once it's initially cured. There's typically a few hours available and still get a good bond between coats.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #40
Bus Nut

So recoat time would be critical for bonding well between coats then?