Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #1

Unhappy I can't find the Bus!

I haven't lost the bus, though I may be losing the plot!

My research for a bus that particularly want has thrown up it's own few hurdles.
I am looking for a bus to make its way all the way over the pond to Scotland.

There is a company in the UK that will help with the process however their only downside is that they will only use one vendor, and that is Don Brown Bus Sales in New York State.
One thing I have certainly learnt from Skoolie owners is that I should not be buying one from New York, and that I should be looking for one from a hotter state.
They do say that they only purchase over ones that are less than 10 years old and less rusting. However this leads into the engine issue concerns that have been brought to my attention.
I have been told to stay away from MaxxForce engines, although I am seeing that these 2010-2014 Model Year buses that they have available, they have MaxxForce engines.

It now seems like theres two reasons not to get them to use the Don Brown Sales.

What is the popular issue with these MaxxForce engines that everyone is yelling "Avoid"?

So this leaves me to look elsewhere for a bus and the basis for this enquiry here. I've found that in the States, lots advise using craigslist for finding one. In the Uk, Craigslist did not take so we don't use it. After looking at it, you literally have to know exactly the area that you are looking, which would take me an age trying to check all these areas! You cant just select the Whole of a particular State, or the entirety of the US and just filter down the results. So perhaps Craigslist is not so viable for me.

I am therefore left to wonder if people can recommend places in the hotter, southern and western states that are good portals for bus sales. Where I won't find a lemon that is on its last legs? I have done some Googling as you can imagine, but not being from the States myself, I'm just typing in random place names in the hope that something comes up. Maybe this is the only way, I don't know.

My final hurdle If I do happen to come across the ideal bus. How to get it from city 'X' to Baltimore port for export?
Does anyone know of a particular hauler company that is national and would do this sort of transport? I don't know what you have in the States or what I should be expecting. Any small firm I would imagine wouldn't be doing such a long transport. Any advice or direction on this?

A couple of hurdles to overcome, I may just have to plug away at searching aimlessly, but if anyone might have some insight or direction on these, I've very much like to here the 'locals' perspectives.

JockMcPlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Others here will speak to the MaxxForce issue (I think you definitely want to avoid it in 2010-2014 buses, since those are the years for which Navistar got hit with a class-action lawsuit over that engine). I live less than two hours from Baltimore, so I would be willing to drive your bus there for you (for the price of a plane ticket to go pick it up and whatever fee we work out).
Old 07-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Others here will speak to the MaxxForce issue (I think you definitely want to avoid it in 2010-2014 buses, since those are the years for which Navistar got hit with a class-action lawsuit over that engine). I live less than two hours from Baltimore, so I would be willing to drive your bus there for you (for the price of a plane ticket to go pick it up and whatever fee we work out).
There's a PM awaiting.
JockMcPlock is offline   Reply With Quote