Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

I could get this bus for $300 is it worth it?

Ok so I've been stalking this one seemingly abandoned school bus for a while, Finally found out the information to get ahold of the owners of the lot its sitting at. Very nice older gentlemen said he wasn't planning on selling it he's just been using it as storage but if I wanna take it off his hands $300. It has been sitting for an estimated 6-12 years. its a 1973 International Ward with supposedly a V8, gas engine. He said when it was parked it did still run. I took as many pictures as I could get. Ultimately I'm sure this wouldn't be my "perfect" bus in the sense of what I wanted it for, living/traveling the country and eventually landing and parking it in the mountains some where. But if I was able to get my home done and just stick it out until I could get land somewhere and hopefully drive it there if not tow it. I would then convert a better suited bus for traveling. I'm mainly asking for anything to look for or look out for with it, any knowledge towards it would be great! Ideas in general and if you guys think it is worth it. On a side note the thing was full of engines of so the floor must be doing fairly well because from under neath I didn't see any sagging and no MAJOR rust, atleast no holes.

ziemy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Pictures?!
IDK, to me the free/cheap buses end up costing a lot more down the road. But for your need it may do.
A $1500 running newer bus would be less stressful, at least to me.
If I were you I'd see if I could get it running where it is and give the dude the money if I could get it running. Then I'd drive it to a scrap yard and take the 100-1200 they will give you. Then your bus budget has nearly doubled.
Just my 2cents.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

ziemy65's Library | Photobucket
Old 05-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

The better photos are a little later on the first couple are my phone but the rest are from my camera
Old 05-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Are the contents included?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Its probably going to have a lot of rust in the ceilings and walls.

I love these old buses though.
I'd definitely buy it for 300. But I'd be selling/scrapping it.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Old 05-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
Skoolie

just me but would pass on this bus, I have gone down that road with cars and have always regretted it shortly after handing over the cash
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

the stuff inside he will keep. he says all the windows and roof do not leak and I saw no leak looking areas. It actually has windows that are like identical to your windows eastcoast! lol
Old 05-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

any body know how long it actually is? cant find anything online and need to know to price quote lots in case i do decide to buy it. Its 66 capacity
Old 05-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
Bus Geek

My windows leak!
What happens in these old buses is the moisture gets trapped between the roof and ceiling panels. Also between the body and interior panels. It just festers in there and basically eats away unbeknownst to the owner of the bus. I can tell this one has it from the pic. The rust showing between ceiling panels- I know that one well.
Now you could fashion this into some sort of hippie home on "wheels" but not being mobile is gonna suck and you're at the mercy of whoever lets you park the non mobile old bus on their property. Neighbors will go apeshit, and you may end up in a horrible way like I did with my "free" 1985 Thomas. Having a 20k lb lawn ornament that you can't move sucks.
That's why I say use this all to better your situation. Show some pics to a salvage yard and ask what they would give you if even a ballpark. Easy money!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

yes that is true, i did notice the rust showing in between the panels. I would feel bad scrapping the poor old thing. It deserves a good home not the crusher! my sentiment for antiques is dangerous lol. But you are right if it would make it to where I could get a good lump sum added to my current savings I may just have to consider it sadly
Old 05-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Its old and cool, but part of the "reduced living" "tiny house" kinda thing is letting go of attachment materialism. It would take at least a couple two or three grand just to make that thing maybe be able to go down the road under its own power and then you'd be fighting rust.
Mine has a minimum of rust and its still a huge pita. HUGE. I only paid 2100. David only paid 2500. You're almost there. You guys will be glad you held out for the RIGHT one.
But like I said if you have somewhere to park it with power and water it could be shelter for a while.
I'd rather have the money though.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

yes you are right about that but I feel like i'd sorta be screwing the gentlemen over. He didn't have plans of selling it really but since I asked and he wouldn't have to deal with moving it or any of that it was like well alright. He had another even older bus that was far gone but EPIC lol so I dunno I told him I'd be buying it to turn it into a house not scrap it. I'd just feel bad. Besides he had soooooo many mint old cars that where beautiful he obviously cares about his antiques and coming from someone who also has a love for everything vintage I just wouldn't feel right about that unless he knew and didn't care in which case i figure he woulda done that already if that's what he wanted.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
Bus Geek

I used to get sentimental about cars and stuff. Not anymore.
Idealism is nice, but pragmatism is going to be what gets you to your goals in your lifetime.
You'll be mad if it pops up tomorrow on the free section of CL and you didn't act sooner... Just saying.
Its not like you're robbing the guy. Ten years ago that would have been a free take away. Its gonna be a lot of work just to get it to the scrapyard, which is almost surely where its headed one way or another. You can either profit from it or let the scrap metal vultures do it.
All just my opinion. I'm bored and a bit cranky today. I somehow got some gluten into my food in the last few days.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Here's a link to a thread about a Ward that's 10 years newer but there may be some useful info...

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/19...bile-6633.html

Meanwhile...it "looks" pretty good but knowing the condition of the engine, complete drivetrain, brakes and other major components is critical. It could be a steal at $300 bucks or white elephant. Personally, I would avoid any gas engine in a skoolie because they suck gas and don't last long. On the other hand, if the rest of the unit is solid, at that price you could afford to transplant something like a 5.9 Cummins and have a pretty sweet rig. Lots of "ifs".

Let us know what you discover/decide.

Best of luck with it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

That bus is going to be approximately 30'-35'.

If you do get it, whatever you do, DO NOT try to turn the engine at all until you have pre-lubed the oil system.

The IHC SV V-8's were about as stout as any engine could hope to be but as in life, everything has an Achilles heel. And for the SV engines is was getting oil to the top end of the engine.

As long as you run them on a regular basis you won't have any problems. But if it has been a long time since it was turned over it is very possible all of the lube oil has drained down and dried out on the cam bearings.

If you don't pre-lube the system you run the real chance of spinning the bearings and ruining them.

This link will take you to a forum where you can learn all you ever wanted to learn about the oiling characteristics of the IHC SV engines. I-4 and SV Engine Non-Oiling Rocker Assembly - IH PARTS AMERICA

As much as I like old 'binders and Loadstar chassis buses I think I would pass on this even at $300.00.

If you are able to restart the engine and get it running you will still have tires, brakes, fuel system, cooling system, et al in renew and refurbish. For what it costs for just a new set of rubber you can get a much newer diesel powered bus that will go at least half again as far if not twice as far on every gallon of fuel.

Good luck and happy trails.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Cowlitz is right on all counts.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
If you are able to restart the engine and get it running you will still have tires, brakes, fuel system, cooling system, et al in renew and refurbish. For what it costs for just a new set of rubber you can get a much newer diesel powered bus that will go at least half again as far if not twice as far on every gallon of fuel.
I got ~10mpg from Fairfield ME to the Alexander Hamilton Service Area (IVO Secaucus) on the NJ Turnpike last year, and still probably could have made the remaining 150-ish miles home, on 3/4 of a tank of diesel. Most of the trip was done running around 60-65, along I-95, with only two stops for SWMBO to get gas in her Scion, and idling on the Cross Bronx because of NYC "Rush Hour". A gasser would have required at least twice as many stops, and more nerves sitting idling, wondering how much gas is going to get sucked down before I cross the Geo. Washington Bridge and would I make it to the Lombardi Service Area.
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #20
Bus Geek

each window should be about 2-1/2 ft and with scrap at only $6.10 a hundred... thats probably about $750 if you can get it to scrap yard for free...and it needs $2000 of tires, and probably $1000 of brake/clutch work and then the engine...big project..the hood is

Maybe buy the front clip of it for $25 and leave him a working shed, then find a runner and graft front clip on
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote