Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2022, 08:35 PM   #1

I did the no no, please don't be mean, I'm generally looking for options

I have a 1998 Navistar International T444E that I bought a couple of years back and have slowly been converting it into a Skoolie. The issue is I did the no no early on and took out the internal bus lights electrical, the electrical board for the headlights, brakelights, etc. How screwed am I, do I have any options at all? I don't want to put more work into it if i can't get it working but I also put alot of work into it and don't want to junk it without doing my due diligence to figure this out. I mean, is there any way to build out a new electrical board? I only need the lights and starter working right? Forgive my ignorance on this, I'm a little out of my wheel house.

Thank you in advance if you can help me, I just need options. Id really appreciate this.

Joshpoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:22 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshpoms View Post
I have a 1998 Navistar International T444E that I bought a couple of years back and have slowly been converting it into a Skoolie. The issue is I did the no no early on and took out the internal bus lights electrical, the electrical board for the headlights, brakelights, etc. How screwed am I, do I have any options at all? I don't want to put more work into it if i can't get it working but I also put alot of work into it and don't want to junk it without doing my due diligence to figure this out. I mean, is there any way to build out a new electrical board? I only need the lights and starter working right? Forgive my ignorance on this, I'm a little out of my wheel house.

Thank you in advance if you can help me, I just need options. Id really appreciate this.
What do you mean you took out the boards? Where were they? What did they look like? Got pictures of what you removed or pictures of where they were mounted? Did you remove the wiring harness from the interior of the bus?
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:25 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
1998 is probably a good thing. ('88, better).

Do you have pictures of the fuse panel?
Can you access the remaining harness?
Did you keep what you removed?
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:

A great way to start is by using the wiring diagrams I uploaded so you can have a place to start from.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/a...tml#post472734

And

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/a...ams-25055.html

The info should be good for 1992 + international chassis.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:03 AM   #5

Hey guys!

Thanks for replying and the information so far I still have most of the wires and the electrical fuse board that was underneath the drivers side window, they are just not attached at all. Like I cut it all out and got ride of the old toggle system to control the lights. Unfortunately, I think the starter was connected to it as well due to the safety interlock system. So I still have the electrical fuse panel but it's not connected or grounded to the bus anymore. Forgive my lack of vocabulary to describe what I'm talking about. I have pics at home but I included a picture I found online that shows the area I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2022, 08:58 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
If you don't yet have a crimper & several 18 guage butt splices, now is a good time to souce a kit. A cheap multimeter, as well.

You will have to replace some of the wiring that was removed and definitely ground the panel. Use the aformentioned wiring diagram to select which systems you might reconnect first. Take pictures and consult our skoolie.net community. It's not an impossible task. Tedious. Frustrating. Belittling. But definitely something you can do.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:54 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Hey guys!

Thanks for replying and the information so far I still have most of the wires and the electrical fuse board that was underneath the drivers side window, they are just not attached at all. Like I cut it all out and got ride of the old toggle system to control the lights. Unfortunately, I think the starter was connected to it as well due to the safety interlock system. So I still have the electrical fuse panel but it's not connected or grounded to the bus anymore. Forgive my lack of vocabulary to describe what I'm talking about. I have pics at home but I included a picture I found online that shows the area I'm talking about.
Don't beat yourself up too much. If you knew how many times we get this thread here you'd understand.

I think I'll get this out of the way for you now, have a look at the link below. It's offered tongue-in-cheek as a comment about this bad thing that you've done.

Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #8

Hey thanks for giving me a bit of hope and grace guys, and somewhere to start looking. Also lmao at the vid. I figure it's not impossible, I just had no idea where to even start or who to even talk to so it felt like a dead end. Thanks for being here guys have a wonderful day