Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 03:20 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

I have the same bus only 30' longer. This is one reason to remove the sheet metal and floor, I found many and about 50 lb of seeds behind one

davisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #22
Bus Nut

A/C units are good for parts. Don’t toss them. But remember if you store stuff in the bus and it gets too hot, goods can dry out cans paint cans explode (don’t ask) but install a cheap Home Depot a/c for stationary days, Our bus has a white coating on the roof and when it’s hot outside the roof isn’t that bad. Your bus looks perfect! I searched for that style and length but settled for a 28 passenger handicap INTL 3800. That pole might be nice by the entrance. Especially if you have customers coming on. There is a foam type. cover for them. If you see abus barn with bluebird buses parked, swing in and talk with there mechanics. They love to talk. Well done and keep us informed on your progress. Cheers!.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
All I heard was blah blah blah stripper pole blah blah blah...
It’s a guy thing!

Kidding, mostly!

But seriously the seats don’t look like typical school bus seats. Are they custom built ins? (Hard to see on a phone)

If they’re custom with cushions, there might be another use for them... but you’d have to store them till the right person came along.

Also, is that bus kneeling?
Not sure if it’s the camera angle, my phone, or what... but that skirt in front of the entrance door looks dangerously low! Like scraping on a parking curb low.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdesigns View Post
I have the same bus only 30' longer. This is one reason to remove the sheet metal and floor, I found many and about 50 lb of seeds behind one

Yet, no mention about that “dead thing”?
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdoctor View Post
A/C units are good for parts. Don’t toss them. But remember if you store stuff in the bus and it gets too hot, goods can dry out cans paint cans explode (don’t ask) but install a cheap Home Depot a/c for stationary days, Our bus has a white coating on the roof and when it’s hot outside the roof isn’t that bad. Your bus looks perfect! I searched for that style and length but settled for a 28 passenger handicap INTL 3800. That pole might be nice by the entrance. Especially if you have customers coming on. There is a foam type. cover for them. If you see abus barn with bluebird buses parked, swing in and talk with there mechanics. They love to talk. Well done and keep us informed on your progress. Cheers!.
They love to talk because every danged one of them wants to do what we’re doing!
Been my experience anyway.

And if you pull the ac stuff for parts... plug & tape the openings on the parts.
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

It's on airbags, the air bleeds off or the leveling valve has come disconnected. FYI the valve my seem like it isn't working but some have a viscous fluid inside to dampen the air in/ out when passengers leave or the bus rocks. I had to take one apart to figure that out. They also do get stuck sometimes rapping on it a bunch with a screwdriver handle will temporary resolve the issue. You can also replace it with a brass valve for manual adjustment which is what i did so i can 'level' it when working on it. Level being relative to the front and back of the frame at the same height. If you look at the top of the bags their may be a tag with a part number, look that up and it will give you the optimal ride height.
davisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Congratulations!!!
My first advice is to carefully plan your floorplan and utilities. Utilize what you have. Take advantage of every safety feature already available.
As for the bus seats: remember they are federally mandated safety first mounted to floor joists with big nuts and bolts. The brackets used to attach them, are the best things you can use to secure future furniture. Plan carefully before you throw out anything structural.
And definitely tear up the flooring and address any issues. Insulation is a must! And a waterproof laminate works great.
Paint the roof with RV reflective white.
Have fun!
JocelynDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
That driver air is something I honestly haven't seen before. If your bus actually has three compressors in it that would be pretty amazing!
there are two skirt vents on the left side, does that mean there are only two compressors?
caleylemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:59 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Those will be the condensors. The compressors are belt driven on the motor by the alternator?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdesigns View Post

Is taking the roof apart something i can tackle at a later date? i really hadn't even thought of it. is it only to check for rodents?? joking.. kind of
Old 07-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleylemieux View Post
Is taking the roof apart something i can tackle at a later date? i really hadn't even thought of it. is it only to check for rodents?? joking.. kind of
By roof I assume you mean the ceiling. How much later are you talking? The main purpose to remove it is to get proper insulation up there.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
There she is! 2002 CSFE (possibly C1FE, can't figure it out) 121,000 miles - original color! Came from California

I finally got my bus, after 2 years of searching. I had just about given up and put it on the backburner, when this beauty fell in my lap. I own a horse tack business that specializes in embroidery, and I wanted something to be able to take on the road, as a mobile business at horse shows. I originally thought I wanted a short school bus, but quickly realized it would be too small. I set my sights on a mid size school bus with handicap door, but I was overwhelmed at all the different types and styles. I knew I wanted Cummings Diesel, Allison trans, flat nose, handicap doors and low miles. Living in Michigan, I didn't want anything local, due to rust issues. I moved to Arizona last October and continued my search here, but found nothing of interest. Until i found HER! just 10 minutes from my house! It also happens to be my favorite color, and what is also my business color. anyway, im rambling.... This is my first conversion, and I have a few questions.

*The back AC unit works well, not super super cold, but works
*The side unit blows hot air
*The driver unit is either broken, or I haven't found that switch yet

I would really prefer to just remove the side air unit, as it is big and in the way, and I dont really need it since I have the back unit for driving, and I plan on getting something more portable while parked. (can't run the engine at the shows). Is there a manual, tutorial or something of the like that I can use to take this out? My boyfriend who is helping me is nervous that it could be too big of a job, and once we start taking it out, there is no turning back.

*Flooring - Im definitely not worried about cold, and noise shouldn't be a problem since I am only driving to and from, not with any customers. Do I have to take up the original floor or can I put something directly on top? What are the best options for materials?

*Where is a good place to sell these benches and stripper pole? It would be perfect for someone converting to a party bus, and I dont want to just trash them. We will keep the back corner seat, as it fits nicely.

Thanks for reading! I will update progress as we get more work done.
Congrats!!! Welcome to the skoolie family!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
That driver air is something I honestly haven't seen before. If your bus actually has three compressors in it that would be pretty amazing!
My IC shorty has dashboard AC.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:29 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

yes ceiling. why would i take out insulation only to add insulation? Im not worried about being cold, im in arizona. I have already planned my ac when parked, and it will be as effective as possible, with the door staying open all day.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:30 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My IC shorty has dashboard AC.
mine has a unit directly over the driver seat
Old 07-12-2018, 05:20 AM   #36
Skoolie

Coachwork: None yet
Quote:
yes ceiling. why would i take out insulation only to add insulation? Im not worried about being cold, im in arizona. I have already planned my ac when parked, and it will be as effective as possible, with the door staying open all day.
Because the existing structure and insulation are horribly inefficient, with poor R-value and tons of thermal bridging. Having a metal ceiling connected directly to a metal roof in Arizona is asking to bake yourself, essentially.
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:42 AM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: International T 444E
Rated Cap: 71 pass., 12 window
Quote:
You insulate to keep cold out and heat in (like living in Wisconsin), AND/OR to keep heat out and cold in (like living in Arizona). Both ways, it's not just for the cold states. Congrats on the bus!
Trail Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle61 View Post
Having a metal ceiling connected directly to a metal roof in Arizona is asking to bake yourself, essentially.
THIS. That metal ceiling gets HOT in the full sun, and it radiates to the whole inside of the bus. It's amazing, actually.....kinda like a rolling Dutch Oven.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

what is the recommendation for new insulation? and honestly, how difficult is it to remove the ceiling and then re attach? I have my boyfriend helping me with this project, and he's not lazy, or a half ass worker, but every time i mention something that is more work, he gets a little discouraged. I want to do this right, but funds are also tight right now from buying the bus. Is this something i could do at a later date? i did want to paint the ceiling at some point
Old 07-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If you plan on spending hard earned money and plan on being in the bus for any period of time it is extremely important to get it fully insulated. Spray foam is pricey, but the preferred method for walls and ceiling. Rigid foam insulation for the floor. Depending on the bus, some are screws, some are riveted. It took 19 hours for 1-1/2 people to gut the inside of my 40'er. It's the least fun part of the build, but necessary. I read your comment about how the A/C with the door open will be effective, I can almost guarantee your A/C unit will be useless in Arizona sun if you are not properly insulated.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote