Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
What is it with cold weather and meth?

By the same token, I would think CO would be infested too.
I'm sure it is.
We have our fair share of all that here and everywhere I'm sure. But I've heard all kinds of west coast horror stories lately.
Some friends of mine live near Eugene on the Williamette and they say theft and crime are crazy and degenerate homeless folks are everywhere. Probably the guys ripping Robin off every so often?

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
CB; That's interesting to hear that view. All we hear about out here is the high crime rate on the east coast that makes this sound like a walk in the park. We have such a low population density in comparison to the east coast that we figure it actually works out about the same crime rates based on population numbers.

Did you know in many other countries you can walk into a pharmacy and order whatever you want? It used to be that way here in the US, but now lots of people are exploiting the drug situation including the government. With estimates of 10% seizure of the total amount of drugs coming from other countries to the US.

There's problems a lot bigger than me loosing things to local thugs out here. This wouldn't be happening if I simply had a dog. Instead I've got two stray cats. Thieves are usually somebody that knows you fairly well. I know who my thieves are.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #63
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Instead I've got two stray cats. Thieves are usually somebody that knows you fairly well. I know who my thieves are.
You need to train your cats to be attack cats. Someday I'd like to have a 30~45 lb cat. Not a fat butterball or one of the lanky Cerviles (sp) but a solid barrel chested cat. Think mini sized tiger. By mini about half the height and less than a 1/4 the weight.

Now that would be camera worthy. Thug drops thru your roof hatch and looks up eye to eye with a mountain lion type cat. Word would get out fast but not as fast as the thug.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #64
Bus Geek

Actually, people like to try to raise bobcat kittens around here. It's not uncommon to find a baby bobcat now and then. The problem is they have innate wild tendencies that can't be trained out of the cats. It seem the cats are so territorial that they will attack visitors, even when you're there. Imagine a 30 or 40 pound cat that is literally all muscle.

Too many lawsuites for most of us. They don't travel well either.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #65
Bus Geek

Quote:
Actually, people like to try to raise bobcat kittens around here. It's not uncommon to find a baby bobcat now and then. The problem is they have innate wild tendencies that can't be trained out of the cats. It seem the cats are so territorial that they will attack visitors, even when you're there. Imagine a 30 or 40 pound cat that is literally all muscle.

Too many lawsuites for most of us. They don't travel well either.
I've never seen a bobcat in the wild. They're around and common but elusive. Would love to see one much less get my hands on one. Get me a pair and after a couple of generations, they will be used to being "house cats" without being bred with domestics. The problem would be getting young enough ones that would imprint on humans.

Um, it's not because of innate wild tendencies that you can't train a cat. It's because it's a cat. They only accept the rest of the world on their terms. If you have a problem with that, it's YOUR problem, not theirs. It's kinda why I like cats. Dogs are just plain stupid and want too much. What? A ball??? WWHERE!!!!

If you want the ball then why the hell did you throw it away? I can't fix stupid. If you want the ball, you go get it.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #66
Bus Geek

You're not likely to see a bobcat except at the zoo. They're hard to get pics of even on game cams. I've never seen an adult bobcat here, but I have seen kittens that didn't stay in their den. I have seen cougar but only at a long distance.

If you want one of those kittens I can show you where the den is, but it's your arm that's going to have to reach in to get a kitten. People that have tried raising a bobcat don't tend to go for the second generation of kittens.

I wanted a bobcat for years too. Granny said that was a bad idea. Since then I've allowed myself to learn from the mistakes of others that have advised against attempting to domesticate a bobcat.

The wild does not come out of these animals. They can accept a human to live with, but they'd be dangerous for any visitors.

Consider that zoo raised bobcats are not from the wild for a number of generations, yet they are still wild and dangerous.

You could have been Bobcat instead of Brewerbob.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #67
Bus Geek

Quote:
You're not likely to see a bobcat except at the zoo. They're hard to get pics of even on game cams. I've never seen an adult bobcat here, but I have seen kittens that didn't stay in their den. I have seen cougar but only at a long distance.
Yep that's the only place I've seen them. The kitten have to be pretty damn cool.

Side note: new phone and stock ringtones suck. Got an app to fix that. For the gf, I had an audio clip of the Aristocats "I'll show him. Phfft phfft phfft". Haven't gotten around to putting that on hte new phone but it has kitten meowing. One of the twin tubbies comes to check on things every time I play it. The other one will look up but then ignores it.

Quote:
If you want one of those kittens I can show you where the den is, but it's your arm that's going to have to reach in to get a kitten. People that have tried raising a bobcat don't tend to go for the second generation of kittens.
Well if the kittens are out running around, I just need a big butterfly net.

Quote:
I wanted a bobcat for years too. Granny said that was a bad idea. Since then I've allowed myself to learn from the mistakes of others that have advised against attempting to domesticate a bobcat.
I'll skip on the domesticating part. I want him to eat your German Sheppard. That'll teach him to crap in my yard.

Quote:
The wild does not come out of these animals. They can accept a human to live with, but they'd be dangerous for any visitors.
No more Comcast or bible thumpers knocking on my door? Sweet.

Quote:
Consider that zoo raised bobcats are not from the wild for a number of generations, yet they are still wild and dangerous.
A PROPER zoo doesn't try to modify their behavior.

Quote:
You could have been Bobcat instead of Brewerbob.
If I did I'd be Brewerbobcat.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Never saw a bobcat when I was growing up. Back then I used to hunt regularly, even.
Now they're everywhere as the last bits of "wild Florida" are being developed.
Saw on in my back yard not too long ago. Big un!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #69
Bus Geek

CB; The McKenzie river runs through Eugene. The Willamette runs through Portland. I'm sure either place is full of drugs.

Buses aren't a sickness. They're an alternative to doing drugs.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Quote:
CB; The McKenzie river runs through Eugene. The Willamette runs through Portland. I'm sure either place is full of drugs.

Buses aren't a sickness. They're an alternative to doing drugs.
Hmmm well I know they live near Eugene. Maybe I'm confused. Just had a big... errrr.... Tomato! lol
Old 05-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #71
Bus Geek

What a coincidence. Just had a... tomato sandwich myself.

These rivers are pretty winding so it's easy to be near either river if you're in the valley. Fish in the McKenzie, not the Willamette, if you have a choice. Besides the McKenzie has hot springs an hour away from Eugene, which is a college town.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #72
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
I travel through the Berkshire mountains almost every day and at all hours. I have seen Bobcats.. I have a 300w light bar and I have switched it on when I am off road and caught site if a few. They can jump straight up. It seems like 15-20 feet. Pretty cool animals

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #73
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Never saw a bobcat when I was growing up. Back then I used to hunt regularly, even.
Now they're everywhere as the last bits of "wild Florida" are being developed.
Saw on in my back yard not too long ago. Big un!
Poor kitties.

In your neck of the woods, I'd love to see a Panther. Closest I've been there is the road crossing sign. Took a pic of that but not quite the same as seeing the cat.

Quote:
These rivers are pretty winding so it's easy to be near either river if you're in the valley. Fish in the McKenzie, not the Willamette, if you have a choice. Besides the McKenzie has hot springs an hour away from Eugene, which is a college town.
Sounds like a terrible place to live. /sarcasm

Do if you could just get rid of the douchey laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
I travel through the Berkshire mountains almost every day and at all hours. I have seen Bobcats.. I have a 300w light bar and I have switched it on when I am off road and caught site if a few. They can jump straight up. It seems like 15-20 feet. Pretty cool animals
That would be pretty cool tho I don't want to scare them. Maybe if I travel with the Costco size can of tuna.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #74
Bus Geek

So apparently I need to replace all of my storage locks and add one to the fuel door. In a locked RV lot, on an Army base, someone is siphoning gas out of the RVs. Yesterday while working on the bus I had a green suit (army uniform) guy stop by asking if I'd seen anyone suspicious. I'm not there every night but I'm there 2~3 days a week until close to sunset. Sometimes on the weekends as well. While I'm working on the bus, I leave the gate open. There's a chain and padlock with a single common key. The padlock key is in a combo box kinda like the real estate agents use. The lock box is outside of the fence and would be a major pain to reach and dial open from the inside. I could lock myself in but then no one else would be able to get in since I would keep the key.

And when I'm working on the bus someone could come in there and clear out half of the RVs and I wouldn't notice. Grinders inside a tin can are loud. I might have to do what the guy two RVs over did; get a copy of the key made. He's in there almost as often as I am.

So, what was the cheapest lock that was found? This one is $10.95.

https://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Produc...g+paddle+latch

Guess I need to count my locks and figure out which way they latch. 4 main storage, tool storage, battery, fuel. Engine, radiator and one other air vent have latches but no locks. Probably should lock the engine but it isn't like you can't sit under the bumper and then stand up inside the engine bay.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #75
Bus Geek

I don't have keys to these locks. I'd like to get locks that use the same key as the door above.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #76
Bus Geek

If you're unable to order multiple locks using the same key you can take the actual lock mechanisms to a locksmith to have the pins reset to the same single key.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #77
Bus Geek

Damn, that sucks. Someone siphoned our fuel from our bus while we were kayaking. We found out 12 miles down the road in the middle of nowhere.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #78
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Damn, that sucks. Someone siphoned our fuel from our bus while we were kayaking. We found out 12 miles down the road in the middle of nowhere.
That's justifiable homicide right there.

At my lot, they can have all the fuel they want. It's my tools that I'm worried about. The side emergency door and the front door lock. You're not getting my Hobart thru there. The rear window hatch above the engine doesn't lock tho. That's how I threw out all the seats and plywood. You'd have to hand stuff down to someone but it would be easy enough to clear out ever tool I have in there. $150 of fuel would be bad enough. $550 Hobart and another $500+ in misc tools ... someone would be getting shanked.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #79
Bus Geek

This past winter I put a latch and hasp on my fuel door after loosing a half tank of fuel, even way out here in the woods. Someone had to physically carry about 25 gallons of fuel out my long driveway. I also put a latch and hasp on the battery door to make sure that doesn't become an issue, even though I can't imagine someone walking off with an 8D.

For me, these are obviously people that know me and when I'm not here. Getting siphoned while out kayaking is quite random. I'd rather have random.

And things like this are why I'd like a second fuel tank. Not more fuel for the thieves. A tank that inaccessible for siphoning. I know, they can still put a hole in the bottom of the tank.

Has anyone hung a second tank and used transfer pumps to fill it from the primary tank? Eliminating the siphon hole in effect. Not sure if that would require two transfer pumps or if they make a reversible pump.

I'd like to have a sizeable fuel supply since I'm trying to go with the single fuel idea, so the extra tank is a gimme anyway for boondocking. Not having a hole to siphon from the extra tank might prevent total fuel loss.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #80
Bus Geek

Quote:
This past winter I put a latch and hasp on my fuel door after loosing a half tank of fuel, even way out here in the woods. Someone had to physically carry about 25 gallons of fuel out my long driveway. I also put a latch and hasp on the battery door to make sure that doesn't become an issue, even though I can't imagine someone walking off with an 8D.
I guess I would make a lousy thief. If I'm too lazy to get a job and buy my own gas then why the hell am I going to trot down your driveway with even a 5 or 10 gallon tank? I'm parking right next to your bus and using a cordless drill to run a pump directly from your tank to mine.

Quote:
Has anyone hung a second tank and used transfer pumps to fill it from the primary tank? Eliminating the siphon hole in effect. Not sure if that would require two transfer pumps or if they make a reversible pump.

I'd like to have a sizeable fuel supply since I'm trying to go with the single fuel idea, so the extra tank is a gimme anyway for boondocking. Not having a hole to siphon from the extra tank might prevent total fuel loss.
For a sizeable fuel supply, add a separate tank with it's own fuel pump or plumb them together. Doesn't help with the siphoning but is fine for boondocking. The pick ups of old would have separate tanks with a switch for turning on the reserve pump.

I suppose you could install a one way valve to release the air during fill up and then plumb them together near the top of the tanks. You get out and fill one tank and it overflows into the second tank. You would still need two fuel pumps and a switch but you ain't siphoning more than the outboard tank holds.