Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
Ideas for mounting a spare tire under a skoolie

Im looking for ideas on mounting a spare tire under my bus. I have Dayton style rims, so its just a ring with a tire on it. Im leaning towards a rack like under a semi trailer. How did you do this?

Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I made a spare wheel/tire mount under the front of my bus, similar-ish to what Crown offered as an option from the factory. There are four 1" grade-8 studs hanging down from two cross tubes between the frame rails, and the wheel bolts onto these studs through four of its ten holes. Because a 12R22.5" wheel and tire is well over 100 lbs, I also made a lifting mechanism using a Harbor Freight worm-drive winch that hooks onto a separate lifting dolly under the tire. This lifting dolly folds flat when not in use, and has four wheels on it so when the tire is on the ground I can easily move it around. All I have to do to release the wheel is to get under the bus, undo the four 1" nuts with a long-handled socket wrench that I keep there for this purpose, lower the wheel to the ground on its dolly and move it out from under the bus. Easy! And to make it even easier, I can remove the handle from the winch and turn it instead with a cordless drill.

Because there's little point in having a spare wheel/tire if you don't also have the means of changing it, I also have six blocks of 6" x 8" timber, a 40"-long 1"-drive breaker bar with a Budd socket and extension, and four bottle jacks (two 20-ton, a 12-ton and a low-profile 12-ton) and two squares of thick steel to go under them. There's also a 120V air compressor for emergency tire inflation or for air tools. In practice however I would probably just call out Good Sam to change it, but what would happen if they couldn't send someone for several hours - it's always good to have a Plan B.

Spare wheels/tires are like umbrellas - if you have one you may never need it, and if you don't have one guess what happens . . .

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote