Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Ignition Solenoid 2003 Thomas SafTLiner

Does anyone know where the ignition solenoid is located in a 2003 Thomas SafTLiner?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PDX-Janel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-Janel View Post
Does anyone know where the ignition solenoid is located in a 2003 Thomas SafTLiner?

Solenoid for the starter is on the starter, IIRC. There could be other relays that control the starting circuit. I don't know where those are. A diesel doesn't have an ignition system as it runs on combustion only.

What issues are you having?
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Solenoid for the starter is on the starter, IIRC. There could be other relays that control the starting circuit. I don't know where those are. A diesel doesn't have an ignition system as it runs on combustion only.

What issues are you having?
Thank you for responding!

I have removed the emergency exit wiring. It has made it necessary for me to bypass the ignition interlock system. I have now found the starter, but don't know where to go from here. I have watched lots of videos and none for them look like my bus. Basically I need to bypass the interlock system in order to start the bus. The bus does remotely start. Any wise words?

PDX-Janel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:

I have removed the emergency exit wiring. It has made it necessary for me to bypass the ignition interlock system. I have now found the starter, but don't know where to go from here. I have watched lots of videos and none for them look like my bus. Basically I need to bypass the interlock system in order to start the bus. The bus does remotely start. Any wise words?

You're looking for a relay in the electrical box...I believe the box is under the driver's window...there's a really good video showing how the guy bypassed the relay...https://youtu.be/G2t9TEs3g1Y

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:

I would think you could follow the wiring back to the front of the bus to the relay. I don't know exactly where it would be located as it's different on different bus year/models.

I would have a look at the video link Jdawgsfanasty posted.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
What you’re looking for is a relay probably rather than a solenoid. There should just be one wire that brings a positive signal to the relay that allows the relay to open. If you do a little bit of googling on what relays are and what the different blades on them do it will make your life easier. In The video that is posted above the guy uses a lot of terms interchangeably and in an incorrect way. That could make it kind of confusing if you’re trying to really understand what’s going on with the system.

Again in my understanding it’s pretty unlikely that what you’re actually looking for is a solenoid. You’re looking for the correct relay. Your bus is quite a bit newer than the one in the video as well. Consult the diagram on the back of the door to the fuse panel. Be aware that it is possible that the panels are installed in a different order than the labels are laid out across the back of the door. Mine was that way and it was super confusing until I looked closely to see what the panel members were versus the label numbers.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 40' Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126 7.2L
Ignition Solenoid 2003 Thomas SafTLiner

On my 2004 I had to ground the yellow wire from the rear emergency door for a relay to properly work.

I explain it a little bit in this video around 3:30-3:50 mark

Episode 4 - Removing Extra Wiring and Rubber Flooring https://youtu.be/Amt8IRof8Jo

If you need help let me know

If I remember right the relay was in the upper left corner of my electrical cabinet. I mention the wire number as 32 in the video. Not sure they will be the same though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mgulley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:23 AM   #8

Year: 2000
Chassis: Thomas MVP-ER
Engine: Cat 3126B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
You're looking for a relay in the electrical box...I believe the box is under the driver's window...there's a really good video showing how the guy bypassed the relay...https://youtu.be/G2t9TEs3g1Y

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Thank you for the video! This was the info I needed. I was able to rip out all of the emergency door and window wiring based on this video! Thank you. Saved me a ton of time.
egliedman is offline   Reply With Quote