Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #1

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Wanderlodge
Engine: 6V92 Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 4
I'm new here - where can I find info on hauling a motorcycle

Greetings!

I am kicking around the feasibility of converting something like an All American Bluebird into a mobile workshop/motorcycle hauler and am wondering if there is any info on this site or elsewhere. I am specifically looking for info on building a ramp or lift capable of loading a large (BMW R1100GS) motorcycle.

We are full-time RV'ers with an early Bluebird Wanderlodge diesel pusher and while our Wanderlodge is able to handle most of our living space, I don't have a good handle on moving around a small workshop and a motorcycle or two. So I am considering getting a second bus to use as a dedicated bike and tool hauler, perhaps with a little space available for camping out.

Thanks!

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #2

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Wanderlodge
Engine: 6V92 Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 4
Re: I'm new here - where can I find info on hauling a motorcycle

Thanks Ben! That's the start of what I needed.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

The double folding ramp was never built. I make do with a one piece ramp, but it is darned steep. For a large motorcycle, I would look at a bus with a wheel chair lift.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

I have serious doubts about the ability of a wheelchair lift to pick up a large motorcycle. Most large cruisers have a dry weight that can be upwards of 600lbs all by themselves. Add an additional 40lbs of fuel, plus upwards of 300lb for a person and their gear, and you're getting close to 1000lbs. Now, yes, I've added the maximum weights for each estimated figure, but I know there are some big people riding big bikes out there and used those numbers for a safety margin.

Personally, if I don't go with a trailer or large folding door ramp, I'll end up using a loading lift like those seen on the back of office supply trucks. Not only are they wide enough to fit a large cruiser (my Nomad is 8' 6" with the cargo box on the back), but they are rated for very heavy loads. I've seen the delivery guys at work load a pallet of copy paper (12 cases @ 50lb/case) onto one of those things and it not make any sign of strain. So that's 600lbs of paper, plus two guys at roughly 175lb to 200lb (say 375 total), plus the pallet and industrial dollies (another 50lbs), for a total of 1025lbs.

I'll have to find out the rating for sure before installation, but they just seem more robust than a wheelchair lift.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Bus Nut

I'm going to ask the silly question...

What is the wait of the bike, gear, and Person(s) that would be lifted by this Lift? I am sure that there is somewhere near by that you can go to find out what the general weight is going to be, and take less than 10 minutes. Take the time find out so you can plan accordingly. No sense looking for one if it wont lift what it needs too.

Oh, and dont forget to add in "Fudge Factor". Never know when you will need it.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

You are thinking of a "public scale", found in most truck stops and some other businesses where they ship or receive freight. They'll weigh anything you care to roll onto the scale for less than ten bucks.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Probably, I was kinda thinking of the local dump. They weigh you on the way in, and again on the way out. I figured that might be the easiest way, probably wont cost anything as your not dropping anything off, just looking for weight.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote