Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #1

I'm so close!

Hey y'all, first time bus buyer here. I live in Ontario, Canada, and there is the exact bus I'm looking for on sale down the road from my house. I'm sooo close to buying it but I haven't been able to figure out the insurance situation yet. There are places that would offer to cover it as long as I'm also insuring my car/home with them, but I don't have a car or a home.

Anyone have any ideas about where to go/what to do? Ontarians, who do you have your bus insured with. From reading other threads it looks like piggybacking the insurance on with my home/auto is the most viable option.

Love any feed back... I'M SO CLOSE! ARGH!

daveeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Having a car can come in handy.... if you have space and capital to buy and store a $500-$1000 car, then you'd be in a position to buy car insurance. It might come in handy to actually use the car, too.

Could also ask whether a scooter or motorcycle insurance policy is good enough. Those could go onboard with you and easily go wherever the bus goes.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
The secret to insurance seems to be going to a local independent insurance agent. The big insurance companies that like to do business over the internet just turn down buses. You must go to an independent insurance agent and ask for a commercial policy for private use. It's normal cost.
On the other hand there are others in Ontario that will find this post and correct me, as I'm in Oregon.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice familywagon, yes I think I may be waiting a bit until I have a car and insure it to be able to have insurance...

And Robin... Hmm... what exactly is a commercial policy for private use? I'm not sure that we have independent insurance agents in Ontario, I think they all have to be licensed under an organization. I'm not 100% though. I will check!
daveeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
The independent guys are the ones that sell polices for multiple insurance companies, usually a dozen or more, and specialize in problems like buses present. The insurance guys that sell insurance from the front office of their houses.
Yeah, I sure couldn't speak for law up there.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote