Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #21

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Chevy P6500
Engine: GM tbi 427T 7.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Does your title say bus or RV?
It says PS6500/P6042 Chassis I think.

ets: I checked and it says RV as body style... Who knows? I guess I got lucky?

CMAK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #22

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Can't Remember
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: Navistar/International 7.3L (I think)
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Your kidding, right?
Because the insurance company has equity/liability in your bus, the DMV doesn't.
I get that but if it's registered as an Rv, and that's what you tell them, they would have no reason to think it used to be a bus or anything else other than an Rv.
RiskGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskGoals View Post
I get that but if it's registered as an Rv, and that's what you tell them, they would have no reason to think it used to be a bus or anything else other than an Rv.
In most cases they are not going to go on what they "think", they are going to require pics to document the conversion. This is a case where you will find this out when they decline your calamine your RV that isn't an RV. The only one that loses when you try and go against the rules is yourself.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #24

I'm not going against the rules I just don't understand why they'd question the Rv registration but not question it if it said bus or truck or whatever else.. I have an s1700 and they were used for all kinds of things and the registration seems the only way to classify it's use. So what I'm not understanding is why they would question an Rv registration but not other registrations.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskGoals View Post
I'm not going against the rules I just don't understand why they'd question the Rv registration but not question it if it said bus or truck or whatever else.. I have an s1700 and they were used for all kinds of things and the registration seems the only way to classify it's use. So what I'm not understanding is why they would question an Rv registration but not other registrations.
They question everything, just not in front of you. They check titles for what it is and then check the vehicle itself either in person or request pics from you. Most states require 4 of 6 requirements to be an RV. Doesn't matter what your title or registration says, they will not insure it as an RV if they know the requirements have not been met. If they take the word of your registration that says RV and you have an accident and they determine your vehicle is not an RV and they decline your claim. You're treading on thin ice where when the SHTF you are the only loser.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:53 PM   #26

Hmm, okay, thank you for your patience and in-depth explanation. I have a bus and lived in it for 3 months and have had other vehicles and never had any insurance troubles whatsoever, no one from any insurance company has ever seen any of the vehicles (in pictures or otherwise). My bus is registered and insured as a bus and I've never had an Rv so I'm a little foggy and trying to understand and learn as much as possible.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #27

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Chevy P6500
Engine: GM tbi 427T 7.0L
I don't understand either, the vehicle will have a declared value regardless of it's registration. That's what is being insured. If you're a moron and try to claim a $50k+ value on a 30 year old RV, bus, or tractor... they're going to want to see pics. lol If I'm insuring a 1992 chevy 6500 chassis I'm pretty sure they just want to know how I'm using it, that it isn't for business... I don't think they're going to care if it has a toilet.... no comprehensive coverage required.
CMAK17 is offline   Reply With Quote