Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Input on moving emergency windows on 92 BB

Hubby & I are thinking to move emergency windows (the kind that are hinged from the top) to other areas in the bus due to conversion designs ( don't need one in the closet) and we are wondering if anyone has any "ah ha moments" they may want to share when doing so.

Also, I love the idea of swinging the window out and may just shop around for a few more to swap out with the regular windows if the job is not tooo complicated.

Anyone done this?

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Input on moving emergency windows on 92 BB

easy swap for most buses 1 or 2 screws hold them in, some windows if sq can be turned on their side and swing out
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We moved the two emergency windows in our bus to the bedroom in the back (2nd window space past the rear tires on opposite sides of the bus) and put a standard sash lock on each of them to keep them closed. (turn part is attached to frame part, top hook is attached to the window part).

Those things are heavy. Before we put the locks on them and was working on the inside of the bus, I was proping them open with a board. Those things are heavy. And they let all the bugs in. In our BlueBird, the windows are not perfectly square. Ours could not be turned to make them slide sideways. Flipping them to where they opened "bottom up" instead of the "top down" they are designed for also didn't work. We stuck with the top down. It really works better than you would think. We kept all the little "eyebrow" awnings over the window spaces. In a straight down rain, I can drop the windows about 6 inches. In a blowing rain, I open the windows completely on the lee side of the bus. The little brow awnings keeps the runoff from the roof from getting inside the open windows. Even in a blowing rain, we can leave the windows open just a little. I have had sliders in the Class C. They are over rated in my opinion. They had to be closed everytime it rained or the rain came in. I couldn't leave one cracked open an inch or two because it would rain in. I'll be glad when we move someplace where we don't have to stay closed up all the time like we do here (dust storms pretty much daily).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Forgot to mention that, while we had all the windows out and torn apart to rebuild, we tried "other" methods of opening them. We even looked into putting a crank on the emergencys like on a casement window. None of our ideas worked or they created other problems. We stuck with the top down. I painted the bedroom and bathroom glass (and the solid rear glass) with a clear matte spray paint. That gives me a frosted glass look and allows light in but you can't see in. I've been working on making a frugal top-down "day-night" shade and I think I've got it all worked out on paper. Now I've got to buy the materials and make a few. This is the only downside of the top-down windows I have found, window coverings. Mini & Roller blinds have to clear the top of the window latches when opened up completely (I dislike mini blinds) and the curtains don't have enough space on the sides to push all the way open to get to the latches.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #5
Bus Nut

WTF???? Lorna, all I need to know is "if I remove all the screws attached to the bus on my emergency window that "swings out from the bottom" Will we be able to "fairly" easily pull out the whole frame and window and move them to another opening???'

They are the same size as all but two of the windows in the bus ( which are the second window from the rear). The latch that holds the window closed is part of the frame of that window. I want them, once moved, to be able to swing out from the bottom as they now do.

I think Basil pretty much sized it up....all we may need to worry about is "how square the windows are"

Do you agree? I don't want to rotate them, turn them upside down or even open any other way than to pull the red latch and push the little fu------ out from the bottom. Oops, sorry bout that....I just want to swap one window, frame and all from one location to another.

Thanks in advanced Guys,
Booger1k

BTW: Lorna....I think I can help you with the shade design....I had to come up with a game plan on my boat that had curved sides and if I hung shades from the top they stuck out 3 inches at the bottom so I revised the shades to raise up and not down. If your interested in knowing how I did it we can go offline.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze
WTF???? Lorna, all I need to know is "if I remove all the screws attached to the bus on my emergency window that "swings out from the bottom" Will we be able to "fairly" easily pull out the whole frame and window and move them to another opening???'
The addional info was in response to Bansil's suggestion of rotating the windows. You are not the only one who reads this thread and future readers will appreciate the additional info. Our "little red catch" would not relock down and stay locked down. The emergency windows kept popping open. Hence the suggestion of the sash latch (and it looks better). Besides, the red one was in the way of adding window casing.

As for pulling and moving the windows from one "hole" to another. Yes, you can do that (remove the 4 big screws set into the round beauty rings). There is quite a bit of allowance in the frame so you don't have to worry about the window not fitting. We found that a very warm day and a lot of constant pulling (not jerking) was needed to pry the window away from the very sticky butyl sealant. Open the window and grab the sides of the metal frame then lean back with all your weight to gently and constantly pull the window out. A couple took both David & I pulling to get them out. Try not to fall down. We cleaned all the butyl off and used a residential door & window latex silicone caulk (about 1 tube per window) to seal the bejesus out of the frames.

This is what it looks like when the window is removed

This is the frame all caulked ready for the window frame to be installed....

The bottom of the window frame sits into the wide bead of caulking. No leaks!

Here is where you can see how we did our windows. Shows them pulled and replaced
http://www.freewebs.com/aluminumasylum/ ... dfepg2.htm
Old 09-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Thanks Lorna....wasn't aware that I had to clean off caulking and lay down new. Will make sure that I have some BEFORE we start. Without that info we would have had an open window till we jotted ove to HD.

...and thx for the heads up on the red latches.....will make double sure that those are working right before we screw them down. Clint has already left an opening in the window sash for our fingers to go into when we open the window.