Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Inserting Expanding Foam in the Ceiling for Insulation

What do you pros think of this: Instead of taking the bottom (i.e. the inside, interior) metal ceiling sheet off to put ceiling insulation on, how about drilling small holes and stick the small do-it-yourself expanding foam insulation dispenser inbetween the two metal sheets and let it fill up inbetween the two meal sheets. Later use epoxy putty to cover the holes and perhaps paint over it all.

Great Stuff (the foam insulator) seems to advise against it because it needs moisture to set.

Quote:
Can I insulate my walls with GREAT STUFF™?
GREAT STUFF™ sealants use moisture in the air to cure. They are designed to fill small cracks and gaps. The foam does not cure properly if it is used to fill large voids unless it is put down in layers and allowed to cure before the next layer is applied. Do not use GREAT STUFF™ to fill enclosed voids such as behind drywall or under tub surrounds.
Would it provide decent insulation and the expanding foam get too caught up in the old, worn out stock insulation?

Thanks.

greatidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Inserting Expanding Foam in the Ceiling for Insulation

Quote:
...how could you know if you've left gaps/holes?
Yes I was concerned about that too. Maybe I would have to increase the number of holes. Another possibility might be to find a nossle extension to the dispenser that makes it spray a couple of feet or so instead of the normal 6 inches or so.

I know I'm trying to cut corners. It would likely be in an early 1970s bus. Think the stock insulation would have degraded enough to let the foam insulation have decent passage. There would be gaps no doubt.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Contact an icynene foam insulation contractor... the kind that comes in and pumps it into the walls thru holes (remodels). Don't use the Great Foam to fill enclosed spaces. It will not expand. And you will spend a pile of $$ using the little cans. At least get a quote from a icynene dealer.

http://www.icynene.com/
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Lornaschinske. Also I didn't realize it wouldn't expand in such an enclosed space. That kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Okay thanks. It doesn't sound like a good idea on my part.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 82
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummins 5.9l
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Anyway...your bus, so do as you like, just remember this.....once your bus is finished, it's a bit late to "wish" you'd have done something differently. If it's so much so that you have to go back, remove 1/2 (or more) of your construction to fix the "corner cutting" you did initially......did you really cut any corners? It doesn't add additional cost if you only have to do things once....

Smitty
Or even worse, you'll find yourself buying another skoolie cause you just know you can do it better.