Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Installing a different tank mount and/or fuel tank

Insane.. Simply insane. For the kids sake I'm happy that the school bus manufacturers build such a tough cage around the fuel tanks, but for what we're using these buses for it is definitely overkill.

I dropped my tank the other day so I could undercoat the floor above it. Now I feel the need to rid myself of the additional 300lbs that is the tank mount/cage. Is it worth it? What are the other mounting options? I'm thinking of strapping it to the frame rail like you might see on light/medium duty box trucks.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Installing a different tank mount and/or fuel tank

Not worth the effort. Safe is safe whether its for you, kids, or the person the plows into you. My opinion only....
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Not worth the effort. Safe is safe whether its for you, kids, or the person the plows into you. My opinion only....

x2

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Demoting the tank from maximum security to normal security doesn't bother me. The time it takes to do the work and the cost are the big factors at play. Without the cage I should be able to fit a 60-65 gallon tank instead of the current 40 gallon. That's appealing.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

This is way too low, but I like the simplicity of the design:

From http://geektrap.com/bill/01205761106 (nice conversion, by the way)

Do you think those brackets could be mounted upside down and the tank hung from them with metal straps? That would make removing the tank much easier. I also like the additional triangle support piece welded on the corner. I reckon that'd be plenty strong.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

The cage on mine is also what the tank mounts to. Was your B700 the same? If so, how did you mount the tank after getting rid of the cage?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Alright. I dug the tank out from behind my Mother's shed. She was happy to see it go, I'm sure.

This is the new tank. It's sitting on top of the 7 ton tank cage.

As you can see, I've been using it as a table for spray painting.

Here is the new 73 US gallon tank sitting next to the old 39 US gallon tank.

And here's the best part. You can see from this angle that the new tank - though almost twice the size of the old tank - will take up the same amount of space as the old tank+cage! The tank is actually an inch or two shorter than the cage, it's just the angle makes it look the opposite.

Looks like I'll have to relocate the fill spout on the new tank. I'm sure I'll re-use the old tank under the bus eventually, but the bigger tank is much better use of that undercarriage space.

Now, how do I mount it?
Here's an initial idea.

I'd like to be able to drop the tank without removing the brackets from the frame. That'd be nice.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Too perfect:

Geez.. I just got done heaving that cage around again. I swear, that old tank full of fuel + the cage can't weigh much different than this new one full of fuel, but this new one can provide almost twice as much diesel.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Engine: DT408

I'm working on the same kind of thing on my 40'er. I want to put twin 100 gallon fuel tanks. Planning on using mobile home straps to secure it into place with overhead hangers (they're rated at 3200lbs). My son (an engineer at a local metal fab co.) ran the deflection on 2x2x3/16 tubing at a length of 28". Here's the message from him:

.266” of deflection with a 1500lb point load on the end. Or .0999” with an evenly distributed load along the 28” arm.

Needless to say, 4 arms over the tank should hold it very nicely. I'm planning on bridging the frame to the other side and tying in the two brackets. to counter the weight of each with possible tie bar under the frame rails for extra strength. I'll be building my own tanks as well here. Gonna be cool having over 2000 mile range on this thing. Makes it nice for finding the best fuel prices and fully taking advantage of the savings.

Travis
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78

Is that static deflection? What sort of loading happens in a dynamic situation, like say a speed bump or a pavement transition at speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner
I'm working on the same kind of thing on my 40'er. I want to put twin 100 gallon fuel tanks. Planning on using mobile home straps to secure it into place with overhead hangers (they're rated at 3200lbs). My son (an engineer at a local metal fab co.) ran the deflection on 2x2x3/16 tubing at a length of 28". Here's the message from him:

.266” of deflection with a 1500lb point load on the end. Or .0999” with an evenly distributed load along the 28” arm.

Needless to say, 4 arms over the tank should hold it very nicely. I'm planning on bridging the frame to the other side and tying in the two brackets. to counter the weight of each with possible tie bar under the frame rails for extra strength. I'll be building my own tanks as well here. Gonna be cool having over 2000 mile range on this thing. Makes it nice for finding the best fuel prices and fully taking advantage of the savings.

Travis
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Planning on using mobile home straps to secure it into place with overhead hangers (they're rated at 3200lbs).
I'm not familiar with mobile home straps. Would you have a picture, or a link to the product? I haven't made much headway with this part of the project. I'm gathering ideas. Overhead hangers are still the most appealing direction to make it easier to drop the tank if the need arises.

Quote:
to counter the weight of each with possible tie bar under the frame rails for extra strength.
Could you elaborate? I'm not sure I understand this. If it's worthwhile then I may do the same!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Is that static deflection? What sort of loading happens in a dynamic situation, like say a speed bump or a pavement transition at speed?
That's at 2ft. drop.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 09-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm not familiar with mobile home straps. Would you have a picture, or a link to the product?
Here ya go:

http://mobilehomedepotmi.com/mh_cata...or-straps.html

You can see what I decided to do. I just uploaded pics this morning.

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtop...6658&start=120

Trav.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Me!
Chassis: BB
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty
Alright. I dug the tank out from behind my Mother's shed. She was happy to see it go, I'm sure.

This is the new tank. It's sitting on top of the 7 ton tank cage.
What is that tank out of? Any idea?

I see no real issue removing the armor, even if you do bet tboned and the tank ruptures, have you actually tried to get diesel to burn? It takes some work. Now if it was a gas bus on the other hand......

Anyone ever used saddle tanks for a tractor trailer? Not sure they'd fit under the skirting.
Ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyracer
What is that tank out of? Any idea?
I believe it was pulled from a boat. It has 3 baffles (I can tell since the metal on the top pinches downward a bit where they were welded in).

Quote:
I see no real issue removing the armor, even if you do bet tboned and the tank ruptures, have you actually tried to get diesel to burn? It takes some work. Now if it was a gas bus on the other hand......
Indeed I have tried to get diesel to burn! You need a bloody hot fire already burning. Tractor's don't worry about a tank cage. Neither will I.

Quote:
Anyone ever used saddle tanks for a tractor trailer? Not sure they'd fit under the skirting.
I have one of those as well. It's a cylindrical, aluminum tank. I think it's somewhere around 90 U.S. gallons. I was originally planning on using it, but it would end up being the lowest hanging object on the bus, aside from the differential. The rectangular tank makes much better use of the available space.
I'll probably end up using the aluminum tank as a stationary veggie oil storage tank when the time comes...
Old 09-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #16
Bus Nut

I decided to make mine out of steel. Much less expensive and easier for fabrication. Even the steel tanks I've built in the past that held gasoline lasted over 20 years with no paint. As long as you keep them dry, they'll last a very long time. I agree square tanks make much more sense when conserving space. Mine will hold about 80 gallons each.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Scroll to the bottom of this page to see where I'm at with the fuel tank mounts. The cross bars re clearly seen in one of the photo's.

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtop...6658&start=120