Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #1

Year: 1985
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: International DT466
Installing a new updated dashboard into a bus

As the title says, I want to put a modernized looking dashboard into my bus. I have a 1985 Carpenter body and the dash is metal, plain and just an eyesore to look at. I was thinking of doing custom fiber glassing which may still be my best option but does anyone have any resources or info about using say, a new coach bus dashboard that are plastic? I'd like to rewire the gauges into a newer updated gauge cluster with a new array of switches for all my electronic gadgets I'm going to have on the bus. Any insight is appreciated !

RVskooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
in an 85, its a tossup as to whether your speedo ios electronic or cable.. however most of the bus transmissions can take a an electrnic sender for a speedometer..

on yours the tach signal may come from the altnerator.. or it may have a tach sensor on the flywheel (my DT-360 has a sensor).. that tach signal is pretty standard..

temp and oil P are just resistance changing sensors..

air pressure on most is actually a mechanical gauge wioth an airline going to it.. no reason you cant use a transducer for it though..

gauges - autometer makes some nice electronic or electronically driven gauges... personally in my hotrods I used NordSkog and dakota in the past for full digital clusters.. they will also make completely custom units too if you want additional gauges...

switch panels - anything goes for those.. im thinking my bluebird is going to go as close to Glass as i can get it for switches.. ive been working with several relay boards and software on the raspberry PI.. and using QT for the touch GUI for a "glass" switch panel... I havent got that far on the dash gauges yet.. ive got some work to do on that piece yet.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote