Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2022, 01:27 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Installing electric door operator

I know this is the opposite of what many people do with their skoolie conversions however I am considering replacing my manual door handle with a 12v electric actuator. I would like to keep my original doors as I have found that a single door takes up a lot of space when open. The manual handle and related equipment takes up a lot of space in front of the dash which I would like to free up. Also, installing an electric actuator would allow me to open the door from outside rather than unlocking my driver door to reach in and open the entry door.

Does anyone have experience with this project?

I think most automatic actuators are installed above the doors however it seems like installing it at the midpoint helps pull the doors together for a better seal. My thought is to install a bracket for the inboard end of an actuator near the edge of the front entry, perhaps where the black metal support bar for the existing operator arm connects to the passenger sidewall. Here are a couple of pics of the closing mechanism above the door and the existing handle and operator bar.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
20220204_172908.jpg   20220204_172859.jpg  

peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
id have ti look and see but I think on my bluebird the door sashes are adjusted at both the top and the bottom for the alignment. my electric actuator is at the top and the door seems to seal pretty tight.. I like it as I dont have to see the ugly mechanism like it it were in the middle of the door. if you put it at the top its an easy project to just harvest the pieces from a jumkyard bus and go.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:59 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
id have ti look and see but I think on my bluebird the door sashes are adjusted at both the top and the bottom for the alignment. my electric actuator is at the top and the door seems to seal pretty tight.. I like it as I dont have to see the ugly mechanism like it it were in the middle of the door. if you put it at the top its an easy project to just harvest the pieces from a jumkyard bus and go.
Not to discourage but the door opener mechanism on my shuttle bus is crazy complex, with two motors, four limit switches and a rat's nest of wires. Might not be all that simple, and, I'd worry a bit about how tight it closes.

It has an emergency lever to disengage as well.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Thanks for the replies Cadillac, Rucker. My though had been to find an actuator that I could attach to the existing arm connector at the door but I could also look for one to attach at the top. Using a junkyard donor could work assuming I can find something to fit in with the existing lever mechanism. I was thinking of a simple actuator ram that are available pretty cheap. The trick with these would be controlling the travel distance and speed just right, hence all the sensors you mention Rucker.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
You would need an actuator that can be moved with out power. Incase of an accident the door needs to be able to open from the outside and inside.. with air that is relative simple..

I really liked the double doors in our small bus. After the accident destroyed them I used a door from an RV..
Yes it takes a bit more space to fully open but the opening becomes a lot more convenient. Then there are better seals, better insulation, less noise but some skoollie coolness is lost.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:49 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
You would need an actuator that can be moved with out power. Incase of an accident the door needs to be able to open from the outside and inside.. with air that is relative simple..

I really liked the double doors in our small bus. After the accident destroyed them I used a door from an RV..
Yes it takes a bit more space to fully open but the opening becomes a lot more convenient. Then there are better seals, better insulation, less noise but some skoollie coolness is lost.

Johan
Thanks Johan. You would know about the accident thing. The thing is, Manual doors can't be opened from outside.
I see so many conversions with solid doors. I would miss the visibility.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:26 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Backup power

I would also add a second battery for that circuit only in case the house batteries get drained.
Bigmikeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:50 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I never use my electric door when I exit the bus.. I pull the emergency lever which lets the door swing free.. then I lock the bud door so it stays closed.. this way I never worry about being locked out due to dead batteries or the fuse blowing on the actuator..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Good points on the safety front. As much as I'd like to ditch the manual opener and gain some space, maybe I'll keep it for now. Anyway, our youngest is 18 and probably won't be tagging along as often, so I guess we did just gain some space!