Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #1

Insulate and reskin the outside? What!!!???

So I have this crazy idea and wonder what you all thought about it.

In order to maximize interior space and still have a very well insulated Skoolie, has anyone ever insulated the outside of a skoolie and then reskinned it with Filon panels or door skins and fiberglass?

I'm thinking 2"or 3" of rigid EPS foam panels attached to the outside that are then covered with sheets of Filon (same siding as on many modern RV's) or door skin and then a layer of fiberglass.

The foam insulation would be non structural and a great thermal break between the outside and the metal skin. I would probably also asd a 1" layer of EPS foam on the inside as well.

Has anyone ever done this?

Am I crazy or what?

Regards,
Tom

tommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Sounds good to me.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Since any added insulation goes inside the walls (between the inner & outer skin)...you don't actually lose any interior space. Am I missing something here?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Well I guess if you want to be extreme about it making the outside anything but metal is bound to be less hot.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
There are vehicle width limits to be aware of too.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #6

So has anyone ever actually done this and posted the build on these forums?
Old 01-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

I'm pretty sure that the statutory limit for a private vehicle is 96" or 8 ft. Which happens to be about an inch wider than the typical school bus. Since you have 2-1/2"-3" of dead space between the inside and outside walls (unless you claim to love the existing fiberglass found there) it sounds more and more to me like a huge amount of work for not a lot of gain. Also, if you spray foam the outside of your bus everyone will make fun of you.

Seriously, if it was a good idea somebody would have tried it by now. If it was a not very bad idea somebody would have tried it by now. I've been here about 3-1/2 years, and I've read _all_ the back stacks, and I don't think anybody's tried it. We'll expect pictures.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I'm pretty sure that the statutory limit for a private vehicle is 96" or 8 ft. Which happens to be about an inch wider than the typical school bus. Since you have 2-1/2"-3" of dead space between the inside and outside walls (unless you claim to love the existing fiberglass found there) it sounds more and more to me like a huge amount of work for not a lot of gain. Also, if you spray foam the outside of your bus everyone will make fun of you.

Seriously, if it was a good idea somebody would have tried it by now. If it was a not very bad idea somebody would have tried it by now. I've been here about 3-1/2 years, and I've read _all_ the back stacks, and I don't think anybody's tried it. We'll expect pictures.
Some states are 8' and some are 8'6".
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #9

Hi Dan.

Thanks for your reply.

Based on my research most modern motor homes and many TT's are built to a 102" 8'6" standard today... This does not include the width of mirrors. Or awnings etc. A quick Google search will confirm this.

I think it has likely not been done because most people probably don't care about loosing a few inches to have a highly insulated bus. There is also a LOT of additional work and expense involved AND it would ruin the classic look of a school bus.

I am not so much concerned about the classic looks as I am about having a inexpensive chassis to build a very well insulated home that's has an interior height of at least 6'4" for my 6'3" frame without loosing any interior volume to 3" or 4" of insulation on each exterior surface.

Figured someone may have done such a build over the years...

Regards,
Tom