Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2021, 05:36 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: Iternational
Engine: DT530E MD3060
Rated Cap: 80
Insulating dillema...maybe?

Hello, everyone. Hope you are all doing well. I have a question for you. My roof raise is completed and I am now starting to put things together. Here's my question. I took all of my windows out and will be replacing them with RV windows. I have been looking and everything is on backorder. So, rather than waiting forever for the windows I want, I was thinking of framing everything out , having the spray foam insulation done, and then cutting out the foam when I finally do get my windows. Would this be a waste? Would there be any issues with this? The reason I am thinking of doing it this way is I want to get some of my electrical in and install one of my mini splits in the rear to help with the heat down here in Florida. Having the bus insulated will make it much more bearable for doing work inside. Thanks for any and all input.

Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Nah, not a waste in my opinion. Sure, it'll cost you a small amount extra for the foam that you'll eventually remove and discard. But, you won't have to worry about foam accidentally getting onto your beautiful brand new windows! The pros that spayed my bus did a very thorough job of masking, but I still ended up scraping concrete-like foam off of 1/2 the windows, and there are a few trim pieces that I'll never get it off of.

Just don't do what I did and try to mask off where you're windows will eventually go. I masked off where I guessed my roof vents would go and it worked fine, but was definitely wasted effort. Should have just foamed everywhere and cut out holes later like you're suggesting.

Oh, and one more suggestion: embed your favorite type of flexible conduit into the roof foam, crossing the bus from one side to the other. I wish I had done that - I've already outgrown my initial wiring plan and now have to route wires under the bus.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If you know the dimensions of the windows and frame accordingly, you would not need to insulate inside the frame work. My windows are rounded corners. so only the tiny square corners of the frameowrk needs to be filled with insulation.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #4
Bus Nut

If you don't have the windows, then you don't really know what size and shape they are to block them out from the spray. You may not even end up with the ones you expect.
So foam it all I don't think its that expensive. btw, I have all my single pane shuttle windows that I will not be using if that might help.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Foam is easy enough to cut later.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote