Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #121
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I like it!! I'm stealing the idea.

Use 2 or 3 inch ridged and leave it screwed on. Skip the plastic. Once the spray has expanded, you're done and done!!

I don't get your point with the ceiling tho. Use the flexible foam board that everyone talks about for the ceiling to follow the curve of the ceiling. If you want more than the wall/ceiling thickness, then screw your furring strips straight to the hat channel in whatever gives you the final thickness you want. I.e. 3" = 1 1/2 hat + 1" furring + 1/2 semi ridged. Cut down a 2"x4" to your 1", soak in water, bolt to hat channel. A 1" thick piece of pine will bend well enough. Might not even need to soak it.
Glad you like! Me too!!
I included the part about the ceiling because I anticipated someone saying the idea might not work well with it, but I figured I could work with it anyway. Didn't know about flexible foam board though, I'll have to look that up.

And as for leaving the panels on, Nah, I want to add 1/2 inch foamular rigid foam on top of the spray foam, and then my interior walls. But if I wanted to that would be a great idea, mb someone else will do it that way!

DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #122
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaverBus View Post
Glad you like! Me too!!
I included the part about the ceiling because I anticipated someone saying the idea might not work well with it, but I figured I could work with it anyway. Didn't know about flexible foam board though, I'll have to look that up.
Haven't looked into it yet myself but I think it's just 1/4 or 1/2 ridged that is only semi ridged.

Quote:
And as for leaving the panels on, Nah, I want to add 1/2 inch foamular rigid foam on top of the spray foam, and then my interior walls. But if I wanted to that would be a great idea, mb someone else will do it that way!
Huh? So instead of plywood, use your 1/2" foamular ridged. Screw/glue it to the hat channel and fill as shown. I don't see the point in putting up the plywood just to remove it. Almost anything can be used as the "faceplate". Why not use whatever your wall is going to be. Hell, build your final wall to chest level and fill. When you're done you only have to build the top half.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #123
Bus Nut

Quote:
Huh? So instead of plywood, use your 1/2" foamular ridged. Screw/glue it to the hat channel and fill as shown. I don't see the point in putting up the plywood just to remove it. Almost anything can be used as the "faceplate". Why not use whatever your wall is going to be. Hell, build your final wall to chest level and fill. When you're done you only have to build the top half.
The point of putting up panels then spraying the foam inside is to minimize waste and save the work of sawing down the extra flush later. I think 1/2 inch foamular would bow out as the foam expands. And the need for plastic is because it would bond to the wood. And the reason for removing the plastic covered plywood is so I can add the foamular after the spray foam, then add walls. It's just the order in which I want my insulation, I won't want to do spray foam, bonded to plywood, then foamular, then wall. I want spray foam, then rigid foam, then mb furring strips, then wall. Or mb Spray foam with rigid foam smushed on top to seal, then more rigid foam, then wall. I agree it would be less work to use whatever you'll use as the wall as your faceplate, but that's not how I wanna layer my walls.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #124
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
I wouldn't recommend it. Layering rigid on spray has the potential of creating small gaps. That = moisture and that is never good.
Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #125
Bus Geek

Quote:
I think 1/2 inch foamular would bow out as the foam expands.
That's the big question. Assuming the 1/2" doesn't bow then you'd be golden. It would certainly be worth a trial run in a section. If it does bow, I'm still skipping the plastic. Put up the 1/2" and then the plywood next. Let the spray adhere to the 1/2" and move just the plywood to the next section.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #126
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
I found a guy in illinois to do my bus with spray foam. I preped it and drove it to his house. 2 days later got my bus back. He did a great job. Its 1 1/2 inches of foam, which the guys said was equivalent to r30. He only charged 750$ to do the foam. Said he'd be willing to foam anyones bus who wants to bring it. In my opinion its the best for the money.
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #127
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestrr View Post
I found a guy in illinois to do my bus with spray foam. I preped it and drove it to his house. 2 days later got my bus back. He did a great job. Its 1 1/2 inches of foam, which the guys said was equivalent to r30. He only charged 750$ to do the foam. Said he'd be willing to foam anyones bus who wants to bring it. In my opinion its the best for the money.
His address and phone number please. If he doesn't want it public, post at least his zip code so we (I) can google the mileage.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #128
Bus Nut

Quote:
Yes, please give me the equivalent of his virtual business card.

Also, I might be wrong, but it seems to me that r30 from 1 1/2 inch of spray foam is stretching the numbers a bit.

https://www.archtoolbox.com/material...n/rvalues.html
Old 06-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #129
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That does seem like an exageration from that much spray foam. Technically I've got pretty low R value in my insulation.

The success that many of us have seems to come from the thermal break most of us employ in our insulation process in combination with sealing up all the little holes that allow air to escape. Eliminating the metal surfaces on the interior is at least as important as covering the windows during extreme temperatures.

It's a very hot day here today.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #130
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
me 2

Quote:
Please PM his contact info, as well. Good price.

I'm also proud to live in the first State in theUnion to go bankrupt....Powerball Lotto is dropping Illinois because they can't pay the winners...
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #131
Skoolie

His name is ken, hes a great guy. He's in hebron illinois. His number is 815 790 5308
Old 06-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #132
Skoolie

I agree the r value may be exaggerated a bit. Spray foam is definitely the best r value for the thickness. He told me when he does residential he only does 2-3 inches to give it r40.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #133
Mini-Skoolie

Here is a link on, "R" values of foam insulation.
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...nd-closed-cell
Lonejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #134
Bus Geek

Quote:
His name is ken, hes a great guy. He's in hebron illinois. His number is 815 790 5308
786 miles ... damn!! That's about $560 in fuel. Still cheaper by a long shot of what I was quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I'm also proud to live in the first State in theUnion to go bankrupt....Powerball Lotto is dropping Illinois because they can't pay the winners...
So what is there to see in IL besides failed politics?
Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #135
Bus Nut

Quote:
786 miles ... damn!! That's about $560 in fuel. Still cheaper by a long shot of what I was quoted.

Well Southern Illinois is the most scenic, we have Shawnee National Forest, which has about 8 major sections to it worth seeing, like Garden of the Gods and Panther Den Wilderness area. There's Cave-In-Rock, a big cave, at which people enjoy looking across the Ohio River and see Kentucky. Up north of that a ways we have Equality Illinois, at which you can look at the old Slave House, or the Crenshaw House. (It was part of the Reverse Underground Railroad, the owner was a terrible man you can read all about, but the house is closed to the public these days, I was literally one of the very last to get to see it on tour when I was 7. It closed 1996 when the state bought it because the state is foolish about historical landmarks apparently. Also that house is haunted AF!)

Central IL is mostly some big towns and cities surrounded by fields, but up around North Illinois I remember a place called Turkey Run where we've gone inner tubing down the river. Chicago of course has Chicago.

If you're a camper, Southern Illinois is mostly where you're gonna wanna go. Aside from that, yeah, the state is collapsing, the local economy around here is crap, there used to be lots of factory jobs but the closing of one has led to no one around here has money. (Wayne County) My suggestion for enjoying IL is to enjoy the natural beauty of Shawnee and other national parks and leave the rest behind you!
Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #136
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well Southern Illinois is the most scenic, we have Shawnee National Forest, which has about 8 major sections to it worth seeing, like Garden of the Gods and Panther Den Wilderness area. There's Cave-In-Rock, a big cave, at which people enjoy looking across the Ohio River and see Kentucky. Up north of that a ways we have Equality Illinois, at which you can look at the old Slave House, or the Crenshaw House. (It was part of the Reverse Underground Railroad, the owner was a terrible man you can read all about, but the house is closed to the public these days, I was literally one of the very last to get to see it on tour when I was 7. It closed 1996 when the state bought it because the state is foolish about historical landmarks apparently. Also that house is haunted AF!)

Central IL is mostly some big towns and cities surrounded by fields, but up around North Illinois I remember a place called Turkey Run where we've gone inner tubing down the river. Chicago of course has Chicago.
Thx. Been there, done that with Chicago tho it has been almost 30 yrs.

Quote:
If you're a camper, Southern Illinois is mostly where you're gonna wanna go.
That and the other stuff above sounds like my cup of tea. Of course it would NOT be on the way or remotely close. Murphy and all that jazz.

Quote:
Aside from that, yeah, the state is collapsing, the local economy around here is crap, there used to be lots of factory jobs but the closing of one has led to no one around here has money. (Wayne County)
This sounds like a direct copy/paste of how a buddy describes IN.

Quote:
My suggestion for enjoying IL is to enjoy the natural beauty of Shawnee and other national parks and leave the rest behind you!
Oneday someday I'm hitting every National Park so if there are National Parks in IL or even KS, I'll get there eventually.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #137
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:

They do have some good looking horses & fast women.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #138
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:

hey you could stop in C-bus on the way.. although if its southern illinopis youd go across 68 to 64 which is way south of me..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #139
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
hey you could stop in C-bus on the way.. although if its southern illinopis youd go across 68 to 64 which is way south of me..
-Christopher
I have a buddy there that I haven't seen in forever. Since the last F1 race in Indy; 2009? The problem with any road trip route would be stopping. The gf doesn't have any PTO. It would have to be a Fri night to Sunday night drive which doesn't leave any time for side trips that are any more off the interstate than a rest stop.

I really gotta figure out a way to make a living that doesn't involve work. Or at the very least like you, an office. I can't do coding. I'm not good enough with a camera. I can't write/paint/etc.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #140
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'd take one of your paint jobs.