Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas Built
Engine: 5.9L Cummins 12V
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Insulation in 1993 Ford B700 Thomas

I've been scouring the internet to try and find an answer to an anecdote I remember hearing a while back. I just purchased a 1993 Ford B700 Thomas 5.9L 12V Cummins (~36 passenger) and I want to know if there is pre-existing insulation in the floor. I'd rather not tear up the floor to find a perfectly good insulated floor in the scrap pile.

Also, does anyone have input on the importance of insulating a bus if one plans to use it during winter? I'll have a slightly oversized wood stove in the bus. My friend has lived in shortbus before and he said he didn't need to insulate it for his winter travels around the PNW. My partner and I plan to use it for a home base while skiing the PNW.

Thank you.

MiLochiNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLochiNya View Post
I've been scouring the internet to try and find an answer to an anecdote I remember hearing a while back. I just purchased a 1993 Ford B700 Thomas 5.9L 12V Cummins (~36 passenger) and I want to know if there is pre-existing insulation in the floor. I'd rather not tear up the floor to find a perfectly good insulated floor in the scrap pile.

Also, does anyone have input on the importance of insulating a bus if one plans to use it during winter? I'll have a slightly oversized wood stove in the bus. My friend has lived in shortbus before and he said he didn't need to insulate it for his winter travels around the PNW. My partner and I plan to use it for a home base while skiing the PNW.

Thank you.
Welcome!

So if your going to use it for a home base while water skiing the PNW your friend might be correct about insulation not needed.

If your going to use it for a home base while snow skiing the PNW your friend might be incorrect about insulation not needed.

But if your heater is big enough and your pockets deep enough to feed the big enough heater, your friend might still be right.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Hahaha. Definitely not water skiing. I wouldn't want to pull a power boat around the country just for that! I'm a little confused with what you mean about deep pockets. It's going to be a wood stove so, in general, the wood is free. Did you think I meant a propane heater?
Old 01-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Very likely the floor is uninsulated unless you count the R value of some plywood and rubber.
The walls and ceiling will have some real cheap fiberglass insulation, maybe. Cheap as in the yellow stuff that looks like "straight hair" versus "curly hair".

As far as wood stove..........you might be hard pressed to find enough suitable dry stove wood for free all the time.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Open the back door and take off the cap strip. You can see the layers. Seriously doubt it does.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Open the back door and take off the cap strip. You can see the layers. Seriously doubt it does.
This is definitely my best bet. Thanks for the input.