Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Re: Insulation-propane and Cold

i will have to hunt for one of those perhaps. sucks running out of propane. It happened again last night. was frying up ground beef and then it just... stopped lol.

Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Insulation-propane and Cold

I will be using one of these on the bus. Since we will be using two tanks plumbed together, an auto changeover only makes sense. I'm not lazy, I'm conserving energy!

http://www.adventurerv.net/camco-dou...or-p-8478.html
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:46 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: MidBus
Chassis: Chevy Express 3500
Engine: 6.0 Vortec V8 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske View Post
It's in the concession trailer on a 20lb LP tank. But I have also used it in my house (1 lb disposable bottle) during power outages. No matter what you use to heat with, you need a CO detector, smoke detector and an LP detector (if you use any LP). Some are combination units although I think the LP detector is a stand alone alarm. These are inexpensive and can be bought at any lumberyard/hardware store. I prefer the battery operated ones. Being able to put the shrieking thing outside because it went off while you are cooking is a blessing (I can't help that I like to read while I cook) and you can install one anywhere without worrying about running electric. The First Alert CO/Smoke alarm I have is a bit touchy. David was grilling hamburgers outside and the light breeze blew a little smoke from the grill inside... silly thing went off. It's happened a few times.

If you are planning on using the MR Buddy to heat with often, then you may want to plumb an interior connection (put a shut off valve on the connection) so that you can use a LP gas hose to the heater with. The regulator is built into the heater (you are threading the disposable tank or LP hose into the regulator). That is far cheaper than using the very pricey disposable tanks.

Can you link to a battery powered LP detector that you like please? I just can't find one.
Anonybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonybus View Post
Can you link to a battery powered LP detector that you like please? I just can't find one.
How are you searching?

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...client=gws-wiz
Old 10-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

Well I usually start with a good, old fashioned google search. All the searching I have done here and in the further reaches of the internet have turned up sniffers that you use intermittently or the 12V hard wired models.

I would ideally like to find a battery powered detector that can be easily installed, like a CO monitor or smoke detector, but it seems those may not exist. Your post gave me hope, though.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:28 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well I usually start with a good, old fashioned google search. All the searching I have done here and in the further reaches of the internet have turned up sniffers that you use intermittently or the 12V hard wired models.

I would ideally like to find a battery powered detector that can be easily installed, like a CO monitor or smoke detector, but it seems those may not exist. Your post gave me hope, though.
You're just not trying hard enough. The ones that plug in the wall are 12V, they don't need to be plugged in with the battery back up.
Here's what you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/PANGAEA-Digit...336445911&th=1
Old 10-12-2021, 08:31 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You're just not trying hard enough. The ones that plug in the wall are 12V, they don't need to be plugged in with the battery back up.
Here's what you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/PANGAEA-Digit...336445911&th=1

How long have you found the battery to last? I have come across plenty of those in my searches that apparently aren't "hard enough". I just didn't think a backup battery would last very long. If you have found that they do then I'll certainly just buy one of those.

Thank you for the kind advice.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
How long have you found the battery to last? I have come across plenty of those in my searches that apparently aren't "hard enough". I just didn't think a backup battery would last very long. If you have found that they do then I'll certainly just buy one of those.

Thank you for the kind advice.
I suspect the ones that plug in the wall just convert 120V to 12v. The one I linked is battery only, you think the battery in it lasts longer than the battery in the other?
Old 10-12-2021, 08:42 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I suspect the ones that plug in the wall just convert 120V to 12v. The one I linked is battery only, you think the battery in it lasts longer than the battery in the other?

Right...I think I'll move on. Thanks again for the very, very kind advice. I hope to someday grow up to be able to help others in a non-judgemental and considerate way such as you seem to have mastered. Take care.