Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #1

Insulation Question

I know this question gets asked a lot and I have researched several post surrounding the topic but hoped to ask my question without much push back.

I have a 14 window Amtran flat nose bus I am converting to a full time rv and want it to feel like home. The roof is 6'2" tall and I am 6' give or take a little so I am worried about insulating without raising the roof. I currently live in a extended van and would love to be able to stand up when I move around so I hate thinking of not being able to stand up in my soon to be new home.

My van has light insulation and a Mr buddy for heat and I did not die this winter in colorado, but I also was not able to strip down at night and needed several layers. I like the cold but at 10 to 20 degrees it made you think. The summer night were hot so i installed a fantastic van to help, no ac unless driving. I have 1' ridged foam on the floor covered with the gym mat squares found at the depot, and reflectix on the walls and roof with 1 inch ridge foam under it.

In the bus I would like to fill in the beams with green foam in the roof and walls covered with wood. I hope that eliminates any air transfer and that 1.5 inches is enough. I do plan to paint the entire bus with thick white paint to help also since I saw a few YouTube videos debunking the NASA stuff staying while paint is as effective.

The floors I've read needs 2 inches and that the underside is a bad idea due to the weather. My rv slot is not level so raising the roof seems like a bad idea because I fear it will slide off due to the tilt.

I love the look of buses with boxes built all around the side and thought that could be a opportunity to shield the insulation from the elements here in Colorado. So I wanted to bounce off all the smart people here my idea....paint the floor, relay 7/8 subfloor and then build boxes along the side from side to side and the width of the bus and insulate the top of the boxes. I thought that would create a air pocket and insulation layer between the ground and my bus to mitigate heat transfer while keeping the inside height. Anyone have any experience with that, thoughts? I love the idea of having a basement for outdoor gear, solar batteries, and propane tanks so it felt like it could be a good solution to the height conundrum.

Thanks!!

Amtran17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor insulation height