Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: International RE300
Engine: DT466E, Allison 5 speed
Question Interior in-floor storage

Hello all.

Curious if anyone has ever done in floor, between the frame storage boxes? I was thinking inside of the bus accessible through hatches in the floor like on a boat.

Is this possible? Would it jeopardize the structural integrity of the bus?

I know it depends on your rigs setup (FE vs RE) but I've seen a lot of real estate between frame rails that would seem to be a great spot for overflow/longterm/seasonal storage. Maybe even utility lockers (e.g. solar batteries etc.)

Has anyone done this with any sort of sucess?

BuffaloBink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:34 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I have seen dropped showers and stuff, so I think it would be possible. You could double up steel supports on the sides. I don't think you'll get much between the frame rails on anything but a pusher, but the sides have about 30inches of space to use. Waterproofing the bottom would be a chore, but doable.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
On our pusher all the air lines, cables, fuel tank, etc. are between the rails. It's not just empty space.
On an FE you'd have the drive shaft to contend with.

NOW, if you do a roof raise and plan ahead, you could put a raised floor and have the entire (well almost) floor area a storage area with access points where ever you need them.
One great use would be to build a section with 1/4" plate for use as a gun safe (or a smaller safe).

For our build we intended to build side boxes from the existing side to the frame outside of the frame rails the entire distance between the wheel wells. We then intend to cover the center with removable panels. This will provide a bit of insulation, some areodynamic cleanup, and protect components from road debris as well as provide a place to mount some components such as gray tank, reclamation tank, Aux diesel tank for the parking heaters, etc.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:08 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I had to rebuild my floor around the rear wheels, and in the course of it I built my shower stall to extend about 8" below the floor and also built a closet that extends a foot below. It's doable, although it's probably too much effort for what you get unless you have to rebuild the floor anyway. There isn't really room between the chassis rails (as you can see from my pics, there are cross-members and a lot of other stuff there in the way), but there is room between the rails and the outer skirts.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:27 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks!
Ours would be a pusher so there would be room.

I think it was “Knapptime” that moved a crossmember or two to install a water tank between the frame.

Thought about a gun safe but figured the jurisdictional issues with crossing state lines wouldn’t be worth it. For hand guns that is.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBink View Post
Thought about a gun safe but figured the jurisdictional issues with crossing state lines wouldn’t be worth it. For hand guns that is.
If you look at state laws and do some research, you'll likely find that anything (handgun wise) legal in California is legal in all the other states. There may be a few that aren't. And remember that there is a difference between a handgun that can be sold in the state and a handgun that is possessed in the state. For instance, I don't think California's approved lists apply to anything other than sales..HAVE NOT researched it.

ALSO, you can take any firearm THROUGH a state from a state where it is legal to a state where it is legal. The law is quoted and link provided directly below:

18 USC ss 926A Interstate Transportation of Firearms.
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 06-01-2022, 04:53 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Just adding....
Since we have no intention of doing anything more than pass directly through states that don't respect my rights (CA, NY, NJ, VT, etc.), a gun safe is a necessity and must be capable of handling AR's, Shotguns, and hand guns.
When we go to Canada, we will have to store almost all but you are allowed to bring certain firearms into Canada for "protection from wild life".
You can also carry in Canada "Bear Spray" or "Dog Spray" for "protection from wild life".
You can not bring firearms or any chemical sprays for protection from rabid humans. Self Defense is not a right in Canada.
There is also a cottage industry springing up to allow shipping your firearms from the US into Canda via FFL's.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:59 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
for my wifes bus i specific purpose built a hidden slide drawer for her.
and she travels most of the states but has no desire to go to some.
her concealed carry weapon while on the road will be holstered at her right hand on the drivers seat and say just passing through and i built a hidden compartment that will hold her rifle pistols and ammo and the bus would have to be tore apart to find it.
easy for her because she knows where the spring locks are.
its a 5 step routine if you want it to open.
i caint share because it wouldnt be a secret hiding spot anymore?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:07 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I plan on a small(ish) gun safe too. Just have to follow the rules as you go from state to state. I've lost all desire to visit Canada with their current monarchy.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:43 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
I plan on a small(ish) gun safe too. Just have to follow the rules as you go from state to state. I've lost all desire to visit Canada with their current monarchy.
Agreed!!!
Sad too. We used to visit quite often.
Old 06-02-2022, 03:51 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Well I wanted to take the ferry system but two problems with that:

1) It looks like the ferry passes through Canadian waters and is thus likely subject to Canadian law so that wouldn't get the firearms there.
2) A 30' motorhome was $8000 ONE WAY. We're 40' and I didn't see any indication they would take one that long.

So it's ground through Canada to Alaska. We could mail our firearms to the FFL up there and pick them up after crossing into AK but I think it would be easier to just bring something approved by Canada..... 12ga pump shotgun or something...... for protection from wild life. I guess they don't have big bears and such up there any more so there's no need huh????
It's all moot unless the vaccine passports are dropped as I'm one of the "dirty unvaxxed". LOL
Old 06-02-2022, 06:21 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
I've lost all desire to visit Canada with their current monarchy.
Canada's monarchy has not changed since 1952. It's called Queen Elizabeth II.

Most Canadians have lost all desire to go south of their border. I wonder why...

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:24 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
my wife was there last year and there are still big bears around.
after that trip and the stay in michigan and also close to home in NC she finally decided she wanted her permit and carry.
for getting to alaska.
i personally think it would be cheaper to have your paperwork done with the FFAL before you get there and buy it while you are there and sell it before you leave?
probably back to the same shop.
they might be able to make a business out of rental guns for tourist that are approved to carry in the states.
ham a 12-guage for bear?
win- 870 with slugs.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:04 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
ham a 12-guage for bear?

Well if I had my druthers I'd have a Desert Eagle in 50AE but that's not gonna fly in Canada. Nor will my G-Force BullPup semi auto shotgun with 19 round magazine. So a 12ga pump with slugs sounds good. I have an 870 pump, I just need to get some different furniture for it since it came with a rifled slug barrel that's simply WAY too long and a cantilevered scope mount.

Most likely it was intended as a deer hunting gun for the east coast where 12ga slugs are often mandated due to the population density there. I found it in a WalMart, after having sat there for several years they red tagged it to 199.99 and I jumped on it. It's an 870 Express Magnum in 3" so $200 was about 30-40% of retail. Same way I got my 50 cal muzzle loader.... it was closed breech which isn't legal for hunting during muzzle season here in Oregon. 99.99 red tagged at WalMart.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:16 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBink View Post
Hello all.

Curious if anyone has ever done in floor, between the frame storage boxes? I was thinking inside of the bus accessible through hatches in the floor like on a boat.

Is this possible? Would it jeopardize the structural integrity of the bus?

Has anyone done this with any sort of sucess?
We did. 12” roof raise on our rear engine bus and also raised the floor 8” behind the kitchen where our wheel wells are. This created a flat platform leading to our elevated bed and allowed me to drop the shower pan in such a way that the drain is accessible, and have under-floor storage for our battery bank. It also shortens the step up to our bed platform. The space underneath the bed is not raised and we have a over one hundred cubic feet of storage under the bed as well as some smaller in-floor stash compartments that will be well-hidden.
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:17 PM   #16
Almost There

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3500
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 8 handicapped
I've cut 3 trap doors into my bus floor. So far I've built out 2. One will hold my genni and a 20lb propane tank. The other is over 2' sq and 2' deep. No idea what it may be good for. All out of 16 gauge steel. All sealed up with fibre glass.
jackdebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:26 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdebear View Post
I've cut 3 trap doors into my bus floor. So far I've built out 2. One will hold my genni and a 20lb propane tank. The other is over 2' sq and 2' deep. No idea what it may be good for. All out of 16 gauge steel. All sealed up with fibre glass.
Care to share? Would love to see pictures of how you did it.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:58 AM   #18
Almost There

Well the bus is in an unfinished state and not really fit to be seen. So I think I will decline to share. It's a handicapped shortie. The area I've gone into is just aft of the axel. Nothing structural to deal with.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:03 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdebear View Post
Well the bus is in an unfinished state and not really fit to be seen. So I think I will decline to share. It's a handicapped shortie. The area I've gone into is just aft of the axel. Nothing structural to deal with.
Understood. Maybe when your project is completed.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:14 AM   #20
Almost There

Truth is I intend to do such a poor job of everything that I don't anticipate ever being bus proud.