Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
International 404, 6.9 and 392 gasoline engines?

I cannot get over these $500 propane-fueled busses that are 600 miles from me. I friend of mine has been by there and said they appear to be in decent shape. There are three Internationals left; a 1979 with a 404, a 1981 with a 6.9, and a 1983 with a 392.

What do we know about these engines? I thought the Int. 6.9 was a diesel? I would have to convert from the propane back to gasoline for cross country availability. Reliability, parts availability, what other concerns?

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Converting to gas

For a $500 propane powered bus you will spend almost as much or more converting it back to gas as the price of the bus. Consider you will have to buy and install a gas tank, carburator, gas lines, ignition module, and re-set the timing.

You might consider leaving it propane powered. Sure fueling is problematic, or just a regular PITA, but if you fuel at every opportunity, you shouldn't have much problem.

It might be worth noting that while in the clearlake area propane may not be a lot cheaper than gas, in other places it is.

Here are a few links on the subject:

The number of refueling stations by state
http://www.propanecouncil.org/trade/fleet/refueling.htm

The location of all refueling stations (mapquest like functions)
http://afdcmap.nrel.gov/locator/LocatePane.asp

Heating oil and propane prices:
http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/hopu/hopu.asp

Gas and deisel prices:
http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp
fmtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
I have a gmc with a 366 with a stock propane conversion. I am on my second cross canada move (on thursday) running with propane. There are some frustrations associated with finding fuel, but it's always possible. There are benifits to propane:

Longer engine life
Cleaner emisions
High probability of cheaper fueling costs

These are just a few. Do some research and you may change your mind. You could also keep your eyes peeled for a used dual fuel system at a local auto wrecker. This way you can switch from propane to regular gasoline with the flick of a switch.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote