Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Tomas
Engine: 7.3l
Rated Cap: 72
Mine works part time but working is working right

Frogpondfoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #62
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so how does it work right if its working part time? part time of the Temp and oil P gauges would be concerning to me..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
so how does it work right if its working part time? part time of the Temp and oil P gauges would be concerning to me..
It probably works part-time like ours does....glitches out for a short while, then starts working again long enough for you to forget it's causing problems. Ours hasn't flaked out in a while, so I'm expecting it to glitch again. Christopher, I know you've fixed this problem before. Is it a matter of reflowing the solder at the wiring harness area? I've got a soldering iron, I'm just terrified to use it until its absolutely necessary!
Old 09-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #64
Bus Geek

yeah i resoldered the connectors and mine lasted a couple years now its flaking again.. i have my tablets so i havent worried about it much..

pull the cluster out of the dash.. be VERY careful if yours has the full circle oil gauge as thats a hard line... you cannot drive the bus with that uncapped...

you can pull the clear plastic bezel off the cluster.. if its put together like its supposed to be.. your gauges will unplug from the board with thick pins holding them in... you can reflow the solder on the board above where the connectors go and I also used electronic cleaner on the pins on the gauges themselves and on the connectors.. as well i re-lamped the whole thing while it was out...

I didnt go LED bulb... I like the pleasant green it is with regular bulbs..
Old 09-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
yeah i resoldered the connectors and mine lasted a couple years now its flaking again.. i have my tablets so i havent worried about it much..

pull the cluster out of the dash.. be VERY careful if yours has the full circle oil gauge as thats a hard line... you cannot drive the bus with that uncapped...

you can pull the clear plastic bezel off the cluster.. if its put together like its supposed to be.. your gauges will unplug from the board with thick pins holding them in... you can reflow the solder on the board above where the connectors go and I also used electronic cleaner on the pins on the gauges themselves and on the connectors.. as well i re-lamped the whole thing while it was out...

Do you have any pics from doing this? I have this intermittent problem as well, but I have no idea where the things are that you're talking about.

You mentioned the tablet - does that mean you have a Bluefire thing set up? Does one of those allow you to bypass this problem with the gauges cutting out?
Old 09-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #66
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:

Many thanks! I'll save this project for another day....probably when I'm in dire straits LOL
Old 09-15-2019, 02:50 AM   #67
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Do you have a link as to how to set this up? I have this same intermittent dashboard freezing problem, and it seems like setting up Bluefire would be a better investment of my time.

A nice thing about the BlueFire application is that you can share dashboards with other people. They even have a respository on their website. Of course, you can build your own custom dashboard.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:57 AM   #68
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
A nice thing about the BlueFire application is that you can share dashboards with other people. They even have a respository on their website. Of course, you can build your own custom dashboard.
I wonder if they have an SDK - I'm an iOS programmer so I could write my own app for this, although there's probably not anything I could actually do that isn't already in their regular app.

If I have the intermittent dashboard freezing problem, wouldn't the dashes on the BlueFire app be frozen at the same time?
Old 09-15-2019, 06:39 AM   #69
Bus Geek

bluefire does have an SDK.. and its a pretty good one.. you can download it .. I believe they have for Visual studio as well as for android. havent seen one for IOS

bluefire doesnt do many request PID's which are PID's that dont flow over the normal data stream.. or are proprietary manufacturer only ones..

I captured the full data stream with my Nexiq plugged into my 444E and found dozens of PID;s that the servicemaxx software requests which are not part of the normal stream.

with the SDK you can send commands to receive that data. which is otherwise not supported on the included apps..

here are the github links you can clone the repo

https://github.com/BlueFire-LLC/Blue...PI-for-Xamarin

https://github.com/BlueFire-LLC/Blue...Android-Studio

https://bluefire-llc.com/api.html

-Christopher
Old 09-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #70
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I wonder if they have an SDK - I'm an iOS programmer so I could write my own app for this, although there's probably not anything I could actually do that isn't already in their regular app.

If I have the intermittent dashboard freezing problem, wouldn't the dashes on the BlueFire app be frozen at the same time?

to answer your Q about freezing dashes.. the issue appears to be within the cluster itself or the connection to.. and doesnt short-down the data link so the data from the diagnostic port doesnt seem to be affected (at least not on mine anyway..)..

ifthe cluster were to short out the data-link then the blue-fire data woulkd die also..

the J1708 Data-link is essentially a variant of RS-485 at the physical layer.. so the devices connect in parallel with termination resistors.

-Christopher
Old 09-15-2019, 06:50 AM   #71
Bus Geek

Quote:
bluefire does have an SDK.. and its a pretty good one.. you can download it .. I believe they have for Visual studio as well as for android. havent seen one for IOS

bluefire doesnt do many request PID's which are PID's that dont flow over the normal data stream.. or are proprietary manufacturer only ones..

I captured the full data stream with my Nexiq plugged into my 444E and found dozens of PID;s that the servicemaxx software requests which are not part of the normal stream.

with the SDK you can send commands to receive that data. which is otherwise not supported on the included apps..

here are the github links you can clone the repo

https://github.com/BlueFire-LLC/Blue...PI-for-Xamarin

https://github.com/BlueFire-LLC/Blue...Android-Studio

https://bluefire-llc.com/api.html

-Christopher
This is the happiest any post on skoolie.net has ever made me.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #72
Bus Geek

Quote:
to answer your Q about freezing dashes.. the issue appears to be within the cluster itself or the connection to.. and doesnt short-down the data link so the data from the diagnostic port doesnt seem to be affected (at least not on mine anyway..)..

ifthe cluster were to short out the data-link then the blue-fire data woulkd die also..

the J1708 Data-link is essentially a variant of RS-485 at the physical layer.. so the devices connect in parallel with termination resistors.

-Christopher
This is very good to know. I am definitely going to get a BlueFire now and not bother trying to solder the original thing.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:55 AM   #73
Bus Geek

Quote:
bluefire does have an SDK
Question about the regular BlueFire app: does it have a graph mode where it shows past data as well as the current values? So you can see what the coolant temperature has been over the last two hours e.g.?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #74
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Christopher, other than the API and mobile apps, is there an advantage to using a Bluefire over something like a Nexiq clone for building a custom digital dashboard?
Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #75
Bus Geek

brokedown - not really.. the Nexiq talks in RP1210, there are SDKs out there for RP1210.. essentially thats what you use to talk to the nexiq device with. obviously the bluefire is a wireless solution, Nexiq will do Bluetooth or wi-fi depending on the device....

I have a Blue-link by nexiq and it seems pretty worthless.. wel at least for me it wasnt able to download any useable PIDs using their App on the J1708 link.. I idnt try connecting to the J1939 to see if it prefers that..

the USBlink clone will rtalk on about anything, I used it with allison DOC, with Navistar, with the software we used to tune a buddy's mustang SUpercharger.. (some type of roush software).. so it is a more versatile device.

-Christopher