Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Seems like it's not even worth it these days, the price per pound has gone down by so much you really gotta pack them in to sell them for much!
No, I don't sell, I just rent them out.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 71
I was under the assumption from others that if it was not being activly used as a school bus then the proper thing to do is change the color. That way kids are aware it's not a bus i should be on.
I guess the question that comes to mind is. "Why wouldn't you paint it " i can see the antique or collectibles reason , but not a skoolie.
Megabea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
i think there are 3 major reasons not to paint your bus a different color.

First off, yellow is proven to be the safest color you can have on a vehicle.

Second, a school bus that looks like a school bus will be even more invisible to cops than a school bus that has been painted.

Third, painting a bus is a lot of time and effort and money.

I can't think of any other reasons that aren't about selling kids into the slave trade.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

In Mn the yellow isnt a problem as long as the stop arm is removed and it doesnt say school bus on it. And registering as an rv was extremly easy. I just removed all the seats and threw in a couch temporarily. This state doesnt do inspections like some states. And i got it fully insured through american family.
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #45
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampJessop View Post
On this note... I'm having a hard time getting paint to adhere to the surface of my bus. I'm assuming it's powder coated - I've sanded at 220 - humidity is 65%. Any knowledge on painting a powder coated surface!?!?
You bus is not powder coated. Google powder coat and you'll see why I say this.

Did you wash & rinse the bus??? This is a very important first step in order to get anything to stick.

You'd be amazed just how good a quality 100% pure acrylic house paint sticks to a bus...........

Lasts for years.....Looks GREAT!....

Just wash bus.....do a light rough up sand job and roll it on.

I personally prefer the "Sun Proof" brand by Pittsburgh Paint. UV protected, anti mold, mildew treated, etc.

Painted a few buses and other stuff with this paint and always great results.

Works, cost effective, easy to apply and clean up.

Then I suggest painting the roof with a nice white "Elastomeric Roof Coating". My favorite being "Kool Seal" ...Lowes..comes in 5 gallon buckets. Just roll it on ( a clean roof)

Takes a load of heat off the roof and seals it nicely. Also deadens sound during rain.
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #46
Skoolie

BTW... Ohio Law =

4511.762 School bus no longer used for transporting school children.

(A) Except as provided in division (B) of this section, no person who is the owner of a bus that previously was registered as a school bus that is used or is to be used exclusively for purposes other than the transportation of children, shall operate the bus or permit it to be operated within this state unless the bus has been painted a color different from that prescribed for school buses by section 4511.77 of the Revised Code and painted in such a way that the words "stop" and "school bus" are obliterated.
(B) Any church bus that previously was registered as a school bus and is registered under section 4503.07 of the Revised Code may retain the paint color prescribed for school buses by section 4511.77 of the Revised Code if the bus complies with all of the following:
(1) The words "school bus" required by section 4511.77 of the Revised Code are covered or obliterated and the bus is marked on the front and rear with the words "church bus" painted in black lettering not less than ten inches in height;
(2) The automatically extended stop warning sign required by section 4511.75 of the Revised Code is removed and the word "stop" required by section 4511.77 of the Revised Code is covered or obliterated;
(3) The flashing red and amber lights required by section 4511.771 of the Revised Code are covered or removed;
(4) The inspection decal required by section 4511.761 of the Revised Code is covered or removed;
(5) The identification number assigned under section 4511.764 of the Revised Code and marked in black lettering on the front and rear of the bus is covered or obliterated.
(C) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one or more violations of this section or section 4511.63, 4511.76, 4511.761, 4511.764, 4511.77, or 4511.79 of the Revised Code or a municipal ordinance that is substantially similar to any of those sections, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
(D) Whenever a person is found guilty in a court of record of a violation of this section, the trial judge, in addition to or independent of all other penalties provided by law, may suspend for any period of time not exceeding three years, or cancel the license of any person, partnership, association, or corporation, issued under section 4511.763 of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 01-01-2004.

WHEN IN DOUBT-----GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND
CH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #47
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Ford/Willock
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Doesn't have one
Rated Cap: 16 passenger
Smile International School Bus Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdoctor View Post
It just needs a through sanding, what type of paint are you using? Sand or scuff, wipe down with MEK or acetone, mask and spray.
I'll be going with 615 Satin Blue, a Datsun/Nissan colour, simply because that paint code number is stuck in my head and I like it. Bus will be pressure washed, sandblasted, hand sanded where necessary and then painted with compressor and paint pot
yugogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #48

Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: Mini bird
Engine: 5.7 chevy
Rated Cap: 24 passenger
I’m converting my blue bird mini bird into a food truck. Calling it the cheesy school bus gourmet grilled cheese. So i’m keeping it school bus yellow and all the menu items will be school related. i.e. the home room, the valedictorian etc. so the whole attraction needs to be a school bus.
Fillbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 PM   #49
Skoolie

Coachwork: None yet
Somebody should fight this all the way to the supreme Court on first amendment grounds.
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

I pressure washed my bus with soap and water. Then i just waited for it to dry and painted it. I used dutchboy exterior house paint. No prime no prep. And its been a couple years and its held up great. And my bus is in all weather conditions. I rolled most of it on and brushed where the roller couldnt reach. I used two gallons and did two coats.
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
'squeeze me sir, but your Skoolie can't be National School Bus (Glossy) Yellow.

[IMG][/IMG]

thanks to Avanti press, Inc--my favorite BD card. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 71
��paint me! I heard my bus screaming at me every time i got close��
Megabea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #53
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I think it's a Federal thing that applies to all school buses.
NO, NO, NO.

It is NOT a "Federal thing", there is no such law.
I drive a school bus for a living in Massachusetts, and when I saw a shortie that had been converted to a handyman's carryall, I reported it to my supervisor...and was told that as long as there is NO SCHOOL information (name, etc.) on the bus, then the yellow is legal.

KNOW YOUR SOURCES, DO NOT SPREAD HEARSAY.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #54
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
So if it is legal in my state or the state the bus is registered in to keep it school bus yellow, can another state bust your balls about it if you are traveling through?

They can TRY to bust your balls about it, but reciprocity laws concerning motor vehicles allow you to conform to YOUR state's laws, in other states.
IF you are legal in YOUR state, you are legal in OTHER States. Otherwise it would put undue burden on the vehicle owner, and be in violation of a Federal Transportation Statute in my copy of the Federal Motor Safety Administration's handbook (FMCSA)

IF YOU ARE JUST VISITING OR TRANSITING THAT OTHER STATE.

The same applies to emission standards, vehicular inspections etc.
HOWEVER, should you MOVE to that other state, THEN you would be REQUIRED to conform to that new state's laws concerning emissions, inspections and colors for certain vehicles.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #55
Skoolie

AND, might I add...
YOUR state may REQUIRE the repainting from School Bus Yellow, but mine and others does not.
YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY, so know YOUR State's laws.

I think the CORRECT information of School Bus Colors should be made a sticky...
Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I can assure you your bus is not powder coated. If it were, prep would be the same, scuff it with 220 or finer grit paper to give the surface a "tooth" for the new paint to adhere to.
That would be one hell of an oven!!! I suppose it's possible to make an oven that large but I ain't paying the electric bill.

Camp,
FYI, orbital sander and either 80 or 120 grit is what I used. Wiped down with Xylene. Sprayed with a $50 Home Depot special (Huskey). My paint (Rustoleum Hammered Green Enamel) is sticking just fine a year later in the direct sun. I did NOT do a very good job prepping nor painting.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #57
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
to djdalfaro

In Tennessee they don't have DMV's to register your vehicle. You do that at the Recorder's Office. They do not, in fact cannot, change the use of the vehicle from what it was designated by the manufacturer. I have a 2001 Chevy Express Cutaway with an Eldorado bus body. Title says Chevy Eldorado because of the bus body manufacturer. My shuttle bus only has 2 seats (driver and one passenger seat in the back section) and has been partially converted to RV (sink, stove, water tanks, cabinets). The clerk tried to change the designation to Express and RV. The computer would not let her change it.

Also in Tennessee, the bus can remain yellow, but has to have school designation and stop sign removed. A Church had it before me and painted it blue and green. I am looking forward to painting it a color of my choosing. I look forward to reading everything in all the forums about how to change the paint colors.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #58
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
You need to do your homework. In Virginia, no problem leaving it yellow (though you need to remove either the safety gear or paint over the "School Bus" lettering).

We'll be traveling across the country, and I discovered that Illinois, Iowa and Idaho have laws which state a privately-owned school bus must be painted something other than school bus yellow to be operated on their roads. The "TO BE OPERATED" kinda negates the reciprocity thing. And besides, even if it were a bogus ticket, do you want to have to go back to that county in two months for a court date to try and get it thrown out?

So, I painted with Tractor Supply's Majic in New Holland Blue (2 g) and Gloss White (so as to permit easy color matching for touchups in the future):

[Pro tip: spray if you can. My rolled/brushed job looks great from 50' away, but the texture is hideous. Still, the object was to comply with the law, and it for darned sure is a blue-and-white something now rather than a 'free candy' fake schoolbus.]
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
the intent is to ensure it is not easily confused with a school bus still in school service. I expect many states are similar.
Yeah because you never know when someone will manage to kidnap 84 snot lickers without any of them catching on to the fact that your bus is now an RV. IF the snot lickers are that stupid, then school is a waste of time, money, and resources.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #60
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Fixed it for ya:

'squeeze me sir, but your Skoolie can't be National School Bus (Glossy) Yellow.'
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote