Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 04:04 PM   #21

I'm late to the party, but what you describe is the classic "forgot" to reinstall the circlip on the shaft that holds it in place (up). You may also have a worn upper bearing housing, or worn upper shaft bearing.

You do need to push up on the shaft to install the upper bearing circlip, but you should never have to push up un the shaft to install the steering wheel.

BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:43 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Had the same problem installing a custom wheel in my BB, I have tilt steering column and it has vertical movement to accommodate the tilt so my shaft played hide and go seek just like yours. Murphy in every job.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #23

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomasbuilt
Chassis: 28'
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by pignoble View Post
I've got a '95 3800 that I pulled the steering wheel off of while trying to remove and replace the turn signal switch. Switch is replaced but for the life of me I can't get the wheel to get started on the splines at all. There's no exposed thread from the steering column to get the nut on. I've lined it up and tried whacking an impact socket with a small sledge but it just won't get even the slightest bite onto the splines. I've pulled off the turn signal collar and confirmed that there's absolutely nothing interfering with the wheel sliding on other than the spline fit. Tomorrow I'm going to try heating up the steering wheel center section with a heat gun but I'm hoping there's some basic thing I'm missing here.
If you used a steering wheel puller, getting it back on is not that big a deal. They can be had pretty cheap at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool and definitely make the job a lot easier. I had this same issue with my 3800 and the puller made it an easy job. A lot easier than driving the bus through New Orleans on I-10 at 4:30 on a Friday with no turn signals.
balawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:21 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
sportyrick, Tell me what kind of steering wheel did you change to? I want to change mine too.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote