Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Triple Nickel
Intro and a question

Hello. I have been around the forum since June, I think, but haven't posted. Seems I am more nervous with people than diving into this conversion thing

Here's our story. Hubby is retiring after 24 years in the Navy, and we are heading into civilian land. We are moving back to his home area of Arizona. Our neighbor converted a Prevost, and when we went looking, we couldn't find any good deals. However, a local car dealership had several Bluebirds for sale, for a good price. Our bus had a new engine and transmission with only 25,000 miles on it.

We also lucked out by stumbling upon a wrecked Intruder for a low price, and all it's insides and outsides became ours.

We started in June converting it, and WOW! That's all I can say. The seats went, the black mat on the floor...GONE! Walls are up, bunk beds are made, bathroom and kitchen are all installed. All tanks are installed (fresh, grey, black, propane, etc) Water heater and heater are installed. Mainly we just need to make door covers for the outside access panels, mount the generator and gas tank for that. Finish covering the windows on the back door, and the flashing lights, and we are ready to paint.

Inside we need to finish making some cabinets, the passenger seats put in and recovered, and the floor tiled.

We leave here on the 16th of October. How is that for a whirlwind conversion?

One thing I have noticed about most skoolies is it seems we luck out with alot of supplies. I can't believe how many people gave us things for the conversion. Seems like everyone who hears about it wants to be a part of it. We have received a whole roll of designer fabric (Perfectly matching our colors) all the tile for the floor was free. The plywood we put over the metal floor was all free.

Well, I just wanted to post a hello. I also wanted to ask what others had done with back windows? We skinned our side windows with sheetmetal, but the back has angles that make it a little more tricky. As we are keeping our exit door, I am looking for suggestions as to the two side windows.

Thanks for providing a great forum.

Brathann

Old 09-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummings
I painted mine white from the inside before I put up the plywood interior walls. Not the most elegant maybe, but it looks better than painting them over from the outside. I'll try to snap some pics this weekend.

Oh, and I'm running into the same thing as far as contributions go. Both family members and strangers have been anxious to help. I think a lot of people are closet skoolie fans at heart... or they realy envy the freedom we represent

Welcome to the board
w1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
Skoolie

Welcome, and don't be afraid of us, we're only DRAWN scary!

Glad you found stuff for free. Look on Craig's List in your area (Google it) and see what's offered on the "FREE" section.
Also, place an ad in the "WANTED" section; I did that and was offered two pop-ups, two travel trailers and a 35-foot fifth wheel rig.
I parted out the fifth-wheeler, got everything but the toilet (bad shape), for free. Yup, windows, fridge/freezer, furnace, water heater, sink, power converter, fresh tank, water pump, doors...etc.

Give local boneyards a try too, they have NO idea what stuff goes for. Helped a friend get a couple rooftop Coleman A/C units for $50 each, 19 foot awning for $50....bought a 3-way small fridge for $20 for myself.
Got another 30 gallon fresh tank for FREE a couple months ago, just for the asking.
Guy I know got a great RV toilet for $20, like new.

Otherwise, the boneyard has to pay for disposal of the plastic/etc., so it's worth asking for.