Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 02:54 AM   #1

Introduction!

Hello all! My name is Matt.
I found this forum while researching school bus conversions.
Though it is a ways off, I am researching the possibility of converting an old school bus into a tour bus for a local band.
The easy route would be to buy an old motorhome to sleep and trailer to haul gear....but with up to 6-7 people needing room...a custom build seems like the best answer. The guys in the band are close...but not spooning in the night close. Lol.

I look forward to reading more conversion stories and taki.g advantage of the information here to put towards my project when the time comes.

TourBusSkooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:50 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

good to have you here

I would definitely take advantage of the fact many buses have a rear wheelchair lift. you could could use it to lift those heavy cabinet amps in and out of the bus very easily with one.
keiffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:28 AM   #3

I have considered that, lol. At the moment, my mind is trying to think how to make enough room to store all the gear AND so many people.

I have been trying to find others who have done something like this, but most are just family rvs, so no need for large item storage.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:39 AM   #4

If possible, a bus with some underside storage would be ideal, so long as i can fit the needed batteries and tanks first, then a majority of the equipment could be stored under the bus.....with exceptional modification to make them more secure, weather resistant and with ways to avoid the equipment being banged around on turns and bumps.....
The darn drums alone is 17 pieces, not including the rack!
Old 02-21-2016, 05:24 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Figure out how much cargo and living space you actually need. An Class D FE (Transit-style) or C Conventional (Dog nose) bus might work with, using the space by the rear exit for instrument storage.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:05 AM   #6

4 guys in the band, however a possibility of my wife (their manager) travelling with, so at least 5 bunks, likely with either some storage under them (navy ship style) or drop down, seperate shower and toilet areas (Shower would need just enough extra space for someone to dress afterward), small kitchen, eating area....which will likely convert to a bed, and storage for a whole mess of equipment (17 piece drum kit and rack, three guitars, 2-3 bass guitars, possibly a PA system and amps/cabs if locations dont hav their own systems), a heating element and likely at least one general seating area.

I am just getting into researching, so i haven't factored everything yet, but i assume at least 35' bus will be needed.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Consider a "band" trailer towed behind the bus. A band I was playing in we had a 16' enclosed cargo trailer for all the gear and stage props. Had a fold down ramp in the back with a front side door. We just backed it up to the stage door and wheeled everything out. We could unhook and leave it and be able to take the rig other places. Just a thought
Eric
daddyoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

This is something i have considered.