Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Gensis
Is a shower worth the space?

Our bus is for trips and RVing. I am struggling with the question of if we will use a shower or not. If I dont put in a shower we would create a pantry on one side with a small shelving closet in the bedroom instead. My quesiton to folks who dont live in their bus is if they use the shower enough to justify the space? Obviously we don't know what the future will hold but I dont think I would find my family living in it.

Currently I have a 2x4 black soft plastic water troff I planned to use as the tub portion of the shower.

Crozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think alot depends on the type of places you plan to camp, how long, and whether out in the boonies or at campgrounds..

if you plan to go to beaches.. then ocean water goes a long way toward washing the stank off....

if its just weekend outings.. washing up each day is usually good enough for a few days without a shower...

if you have a family gym membership to a chain gym, and are near locations for it.. you can shower there...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i vote no.

for an rv or camping, its wasted space. an out door shower is just fine for any rv. without doing a roof raise taking a shower in any rv is like doing yoga in a closet. nothing you would do if you were choosing to relax.

if you ever are living in a bus, that changes the necessity for a bath.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
we have a shower and wouldn't be with out it.
gbstewart
Old 03-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd rather have a cramped, crappy shower and be that much more independent, than have no shower. An outdoor shower would be easier if the bus is too small.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
If you want to come over to my bus and have a beer.... I think a shower is a good idea.....

I met some folks down in Vegas some years ago that were full time in what some would consider a very nice ($300k) class A. When I used their bathroom I noticed clothes hanging rods in the shower and they looked to be permanently installed.

I asked how they showered? They told me that they had never used the shower in their coach. They preferred using the showers in the RV parks where they stayed.

To each their own. I would not consider going out on the road without an indoor shower. My last bus had a 36" neo-angle shower that was bigger and nicer than the showers in some of the apartments I have lived in.

I have used the showers in a number of campgrounds/RV parks. Some where pretty nice. Some where disgusting. Mostly, I prefer sleeping in my own bed and performing my morning constitutional in my own bathroom. Just more comfortable. Especially in February.........
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #7
Skoolie

No, not stinking is overrated. Lol

I use my bus as a tent. We plan to use a solar shower & changing room tent from Wal-Mart.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I wouldn't be without a shower living fulltime or just camping/traveling

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavid View Post
No, not stinking is overrated. Lol

I use my bus as a tent. We plan to use a solar shower & changing room tent from Wal-Mart.
Arghh!! I just flashed on a cross country flight I took a few years ago. Packed airplane and I wound up in a middle seat between two people who obviously had not showered in a few (many?) days. I tried to get the flight attendant to move me. Unfortunately there were no available seats. I did get free wine for the looooong flight though...

BigDave makes a good point. We each will use our bus differently. His will be an "upscale tent" on wheels. Mine will be my full time home. different uses, different needs.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
To me, it all comes down to how you plan on moving about. If you only go out for weekends at campgrounds that have full shower facilities...why bother. On the other hand...if you boondock out in the wilderness for weeks at a time...you might want to hose off every few days. Me...I don't like crowds so a small, hand held shower thingie is a must have.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think alot depends on the type of places you plan to camp, how long, and whether out in the boonies or at campgrounds..

if you plan to go to beaches.. then ocean water goes a long way toward washing the stank off....

if its just weekend outings.. washing up each day is usually good enough for a few days without a shower...

if you have a family gym membership to a chain gym, and are near locations for it.. you can shower there...

-Christopher
Just to add to your list, any Truck Stops along the way will have showers, and if you fueled up your skoolie, most of the time they are free.

Rob
North Plains Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Mine is a full time insulated tent on wheels. No permanent plumbing or tanks allowed in this Oregon van. It's inconvenient at times not to have a shower, but I'd rather be able to carry my toys in the bus than permanently give up space. Bucket bathing isn't that great but it keeps you from stinking. Not the same bucket that was mentioned in the bathroom thread.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
I use an outdoor shower. I have a privy tent and a hot shower set-up. The hot shower is basically a stainless steel pump sprayer that's heated by a propane one burner stove.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
Almost There

Thank you for the input. One thought came to mind while reading this is that I could use a twist curtain rod for clothes and storage. I may revamp my thinking on how to design my shower. If i dont use the trof tub and get lucky to find a shower pan that fists the space better i could design it as a closet/shower and use some totes in the bottom.

Anyone have recommendations on smaller shower pans or where to shop for them?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
My preference is a shower and tub, with an outside shower when it's humid outside. Easier on the AC in the heat. When it's cold out I put on the woodstove, fill the tub and soak my weary bones. I don't care for parks, rest stops etc so find myself a quiet spot when travelling and enjoy all the comforts of home.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Not a shower pan but would serve the purpose:MUSTEE 24 in. x 24 in. x 10 in. Service Mop Basin for 3 in. DWV in White-63M - The Home Depot

RV shower pans: - RV Windows

Google is you friend
Old 03-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #17
Bus Geek

How about something a little larger than a shower pan? Anyone could easily put a drain in one of these smaller watering troughs. Available in galvanized or plastic. Not that expensive either.

I've thought of using one of these troughs for a long time. Easy to put a drain into if you want to plumb it in.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #18
Almost There

Thats what my plan was to use a black plastic water troff and put a drain in it. I was going to build a base around it, insulate it, and put some nice stone work around however if I went with a lower squareish base then I could put totes in and have the door facing to the isle creating a closet / pantry / shower.

This thread got me thinking though which is great.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 03-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #19
Bus Geek

My thoughts are that I could sit down in a small tub for a bath. The tub itself could easily be made into a shower pan with a shower curtain and drain for those of you with actual plumbing.

My bus, as an Oregon van, won't have plumbing or tanks. Generally speaking I can't afford to use that much water while boondocking, so I'm keeping the bath bucket.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
If you're concerned about spending the square feet of floor on a shower, there are things you can do to make the space multi-functional. Storage totes enabling a combo closet/pantry function is one idea. "Wet bath" is another. That's the route I've gone for mine: I put down a 30x60 shower pan with the toilet nestled into one corner. It isn't ideal for the shower nor for the toilet, but I'd have needed 50%-100% more space to keep them separate. Couldn't spend that much of the square feet budget on them so combined it is. Dual-use space always has its drawbacks (moving the totes.. to where? to take a shower, or feet getting wet when using the toilet after somebody else has showered) but that's just what we have to deal with in order to combine functions.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote