Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
NFPA 1192 requires all propane storage on RVs to be between the front and rear wheels for obvious safety reasons. (That's why I wince when I see folk with propane cylinders bungied onto their back bumper or somewhere else equally daft.) Think of the worst-case scenario of a hard impact to the front, rear or sides, or your engine catching fire - would your propane still be OK?

John

Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
@ ol trunt, and here all this time I thought skoolies weren't allowed in RV parks because so many people think most skoolies are really just mobile meth labs in disguise. Thanks for setting me straight.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #23
Bus Nut

@ Iceni John, does that section of NFPA 1192 apply to RE bus conversions as well? And do you have any idea who would be responsible for enforcing this regulation?
Old 09-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
@ Iceni John, does that section of NFPA 1192 apply to RE bus conversions as well? And do you have any idea who would be responsible for enforcing this regulation?
It would apply to your conversion. It’s considered a motor home.

NFPA isn’t going to come get you in the middle of the night.

I think it’s worth pointing out that those codes were developed after years of crash test dummies making claims to their insurance companies. We already have a hard time getting insurance. Doesn’t it make sense to follow the codes?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #25
Bus Nut

I have been thinking of possibly putting propane between the engine and the back wheels. There's a lot of mass in that engine. I think it would be pretty safe. There's certainly more mass behind the axle of a rear engine than a front engine.

But if there is a regulation that says I shouldn't do that then I will most likely comply with the regulation just to avoid future hassles with authorities. It should be very easy to find out.

As I've said before I'm not a lawyer, but I have worked as a legal historian, and I know how to read the law. There will either be a specific clause or section exempting rear engine motorhomes from that restriction, or it will apply to them
Old 09-19-2019, 12:03 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
I have been thinking of possibly putting propane between the engine and the back wheels. There's a lot of mass in that engine. I think it would be pretty safe. There's certainly more mass behind the axle of a rear engine than a front engine.

But if there is a regulation that says I shouldn't do that then I will most likely comply with the regulation just to avoid future hassles with authorities. It should be very easy to find out.

As I've said before I'm not a lawyer, but I have worked as a legal historian, and I know how to read the law. There will either be a specific clause or section exempting rear engine motorhomes from that restriction, or it will apply to them
You should read the codes. there is some allowance for putting it behind the rear wheels, but not on the bumper and not closer than 18” of exhaust without a baffle.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:11 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Nfpa 1192 is free to read online. IDK if you can print or copy from it though. I tried to quote it here from my phone and couldn’t. Full size screen recommended
Old 09-19-2019, 12:16 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Yeah, I need to read the code. I think there should be enough room just behind the wheels, but I could put it on the front side of the axle if there's not. I want to build as much full-width storage as I can between the axles. That's really the only reason for wanting to put the propane behind the rear axle.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:38 AM   #29
Bus Geek

I’ve really struggled to find the place on my shorty. My only saving grace is the low step.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:38 AM   #30
Bus Nut

I tried to have a quick look at the code, but they want people to register, which involves giving them a form full of personal info. So I hit the red X and bailed.

If they make the regulations that inaccessible then it's no wonder some people ignore those regulations.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:39 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Yeah, that's exactly why I didn't want a shortie. They're just too short.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
I tried to have a quick look at the code, but they want people to register, which involves giving them a form full of personal info. So I hit the red X and bailed.

If they make the regulations that inaccessible then it's no wonder some people ignore those regulations.
I forget all they asked, don’t they just want your name and company name? I did that a long time ago and the Prince of Nigeria still hasn’t found me.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #33
Bus Nut

I've been retired for several years, and don't have a company name. These outfits that want company names don't usually like retired people. In my experience they won't accept retired instead of a company name.

And I also don't want them having my email, so I will create a throw-away email, give them a bogus name and see what happens.

It irritates me that I have to waste time just to get a 5 minute read of the code to see what conditions have to be met to have propane tanks installed behind the rear axle considered safe in a RE. I personally think that organizations who develop and enforce rules should be responsibile for making sure the people who are expected to follow the rules know what the rules are.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've been retired for several years, and don't have a company name. These outfits that want company names don't usually like retired people. In my experience they won't accept retired instead of a company name.

And I also don't want them having my email, so I will create a throw-away email, give them a bogus name and see what happens.

It irritates me that I have to waste time just to get a 5 minute read of the code to see what conditions have to be met to have propane tanks installed behind the rear axle considered safe in a RE. I personally think that organizations who develop and enforce rules should be responsibile for making sure the people who are expected to follow the rules know what the rules are.
They’re better than ANSI who insist on selling their 16 page low voltage code book for $70.

I feel the same. I use a throwaway email address for stuff like that. I just searched my mail and they have never marketed me directly and I’m pretty sure indirectly.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:13 PM   #35

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466 210HP/2600 GOV
Rated Cap: 16+4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
It would apply to your conversion. It’s considered a motor home.

NFPA isn’t going to come get you in the middle of the night.

I think it’s worth pointing out that those codes were developed after years of crash test dummies making claims to their insurance companies. We already have a hard time getting insurance. Doesn’t it make sense to follow the codes?
10/10. ^This.
QuixotryHugger is offline   Reply With Quote