Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
Scared to Post

Is this a good bus to buy?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...16652822683046

They say it has a 7.6 inline 6 MAXXFORCE? They have 10 of them, is this a bus good to convert?

bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post

They say it has a 7.6 inline 6 MAXXFORCE? They have 10 of them, is this a bus good to convert?
No, Maxxforce is a terrible engine and the main reason why IC quit making their own motors.

There's a reason why Cummins is the only engine you can order in an International bus today.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
No, Maxxforce is a terrible engine and the main reason why IC quit making their own motors.

There's a reason why Cummins is the only engine you can order in an International bus today.
MaxxFarce, MaxxiPad... A turd by any other name would still be a turd... Not that Cummins is that much better these days. The older ISBs and the ISCs aren't bad, but I drove several ISXs running OTR and would never buy a vehicle with an ISX.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
MaxxFarce, MaxxiPad... A turd by any other name would still be a turd... Not that Cummins is that much better these days. The older ISBs and the ISCs aren't bad, but I drove several ISXs running OTR and would never buy a vehicle with an ISX.
I don't know anything about the bigger OTR engines but the 2015+ Cummins engines have been decent (still not as good as pre emission).

The emissions systems on them are getting better but they're still expensive to repair when they do break.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
Traveling

Quote:
I don't know anything about the bigger OTR engines but the 2015+ Cummins engines have been decent (still not as good as pre emission).

The emissions systems on them are getting better but they're still expensive to repair when they do break.
I had the best luck with Detroit DD-series and 60-series engines. I had more problems with Volvo, Navistar and Cummins engines than Detroit by far. Never had a Detroit leave me on the side of the road. Always got itself to a shop, maybe I just got lucky.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I had the best luck with Detroit DD-series and 60-series engines. I had more problems with Volvo, Navistar and Cummins engines than Detroit by far. Never had a Detroit leave me on the side of the road. Always got itself to a shop, maybe I just got lucky.
Aren't the newer Detroits just Paccar engines?
Old 10-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
Traveling

Quote:
Aren't the newer Detroits just Paccar engines?
Now, it may be that Detroit lured one of Paccar's designers over and some of their knowledge used in Paccar engines showed up in the newer Detroit offerings, but I've not heard of it. Therefore, I'm not sure where that comes from. I've actually spoken with a head designer at Detroit Diesel who had a hand in the DD15 Class 8 engine, and he put to rest rumors I'd heard that it was based on the 60-series. He clarified that it was indeed a clean-sheet-of-paper design, and shared nothing with its older brethren. If it had anything to do with Paccar or was Paccar-sourced, he never mentioned it.

I've driven Paccar as well -- not terrible, not especially great either. Certainly not nearly as temperamental as the MaxxFarce and Volvo engines. But I can tell you that I noticed nothing similar between the Paccar MX-10 in the Pete 386 I drove for about a year versus the DD15s in the Freightliners I drove. Much bigger engine, and I saw no possibility of interchange between the two.

The Paccar, interestingly enough, was in the shop for DEF nozzle replacement -- twice -- in the same 50k mile interval. It continually spiked a high exhaust temp code running against the governor, and no one could duplicate it, so after the shop told me for the umpteenth time I needed a straitjacket, I cut my cruise speed to 3 under the governor and it stopped doing it. Go figure. But while I'll take a Paccar over an ISX or MaxxFarce, I'm not especially fond of Paccar's MX engines either.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post

run away. Run away fast.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote