Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Lightbulb Is this a good buy? 2003 Ford F350 Shuttle Bus

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ct...303780220.html

They are asking $6,500 and won't go lower than $4,500. I am looking at this for a bedroom on wheels to travel the country with. I'm going to check it out saturday. Also, does something like this support the option of having a tiny bathroom installed?

"This is a Shuttle Bus that was used for fun trips for a small medical company, the van has a 5.4 liter V8 and an automatic transmission and has been a reliable fun bus. It now has the driver seat and 1 bus seat in it,, the bus originally had seats for 12 people, we do have the seats if desired. Currently there is a bed area in the rear of the bus, a small desk with a power inverter and some aftermarket seating, a couch, and a storage base cabinet. The interior is also colorfully painted, the ceiling is like a sky scene that fades to a night sky. The van has less than 45000 original miles, it shifts well and has always started up easily. It does have an aftermarket stereo, the windshield is fine, the glass is good. The cruise control does work, it stops fairly well, gas mileage is not its strong suit, I think somewhere in the low teens."

Old 04-20-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Welcome
There's nothing wrong with a Ford 5.4 in a pickup or lighter vehicle but it might be a little under powered in this if you don't keep your build weight down. I like the price a lot better at $4500, $6500 is pushing it and that's if it checks out well mechanically and rust wise. I also would be very suspect of that mileage, not saying it couldn't be true but I doubt it (very easy to tamper with) and low teens for fuel economy is the best you're going to see in something like that. Easiest solution for a bathroom would be a cassette toilet and an outdoor shower. If it all checks out could be a good little mobile bedroom for you.
Good luck

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

How much weight would you consider too much for this vehicle? I'm gonna offer him 5k cash if I get more positive feedback by then and everyone deems this a good decision. I'm really drawn to this one but don't want to set myself up for failure. When I go check it out should I also get it inspected? If so are there places that do walk in inspections on these sort of vehicles? They recently had it inspected and it passed? Is there any way I can determine if the mileage has been tampered with?
Old 04-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
That paint or wrap job is a bit weird, but it might float your boat?
Why offer the seller $5k if you already know their low # is $4.5?
It's like burning $500.00 of your money!

You're likely going to burn through the $500.00 in the first week you own it in "things" for your new bus.

This bus is in the rust belt. Hopefully it just got there from somewhere that doesn't salt roads in winter.

Good luck, and good luck with that art?work...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:32 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

The paint job was done by a spray paint artist in New York (I really enjoy it personally, fits my vibe.) What I mean by the $4,500 is that the seller said "I won't sell it for $4,500" so I figure I could cut $1,500 off the total is I offer him $5k. It being in the rust belt was also on my mind but the guy says if there is ANY rust, that it's not going to structurally compromise it. However, I'll know for sure after looking at it this coming weekend.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:52 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm4hire View Post
How much weight would you consider too much for this vehicle? I'm gonna offer him 5k cash if I get more positive feedback by then and everyone deems this a good decision. I'm really drawn to this one but don't want to set myself up for failure. When I go check it out should I also get it inspected? If so are there places that do walk in inspections on these sort of vehicles? They recently had it inspected and it passed? Is there any way I can determine if the mileage has been tampered with?
You will need to know the gvw and the bare weight after stripping it out to determine what you can put in, just plan to keep it light, you don't need fifty gallons of fresh water if you're never more than a few days from a tap. Don't base your decision on this feedback, use this feedback to decide if you want to move forward? Yes you should have it inspected and that should be set up in advance with an independent mechanic. They had it inspected? Should you trust that? Inspections don't really pass or fail they tell you condition.
Set your emotions for the cute paint aside and do your proper investigation so there are no surprises later.
Good luck

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:44 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for reminding me to check my emotions. Not wise to let my heart strings make a money decision. What kind of proper investigation are you speaking of? I am new to this and probably don't know how to go about it thoroughly.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:17 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm4hire View Post
It being in the rust belt was also on my mind but the guy says if there is ANY rust, that it's not going to structurally compromise it.
I mean, this is a true statement technically. The rust you see in buses generally isn't a structural problem in the sense that the chassis is about to break apart or the roof is about to fall in. Even my bus, which was about as rusted as they come, wasn't unsafe to drive around or walk around in (or be under, although I was initially frightened to even go down there). Rust is a concern to you because it's going to keep growing on you unless you do something about it - especially if you don't also fix the leaks in the body (windows, light openings etc.) that caused the damage in the first place.

If you only want something that is going to last a couple of years, then you can buy a PA bus and mostly ignore the rust, but if you want a skoolie for a long-term dwelling, you'll want to cut out the rusted material and patch it properly - which is a lot of work that can be avoided by getting a bus elsewhere.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
I'm trying to avoid these threads, but..I clicked the link and looked after the comment on the paint job, and I would say you have a LOT of leverage on the seller. The number of people liking the looks of that bus is very limited, maybe down to 2 people you and the owner, so they say no at $4500? good f'n luck finding another buyer.
And I did scan your local CL, and there is a box-van for $3500. A white canvas for your creativity..

And just because I'm posting, there is a 2003 diesel e450 on Stockton CL for $2,000, won't pass CA smog, can't use commercially in CA, so anyone out of state here is a super deal..
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:11 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

https://stockton.craigslist.org/pts/...305633867.html

This one you mentioned in Stockton is definitely a deal. I'm not too privy on its engine/transmission/drivetrain but for 2k? I feel like that's really good.

I would have to drive it from CA to PA though.. Do you think it'd be fine and able to handle it?

They said it smokes a little and then stops. They also said the miles are in the 400's but the engine was likely replaced. Is there any way of knowing how many miles is on the current engine?
Old 04-21-2021, 02:54 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I mean, this is a true statement technically. The rust you see in buses generally isn't a structural problem in the sense that the chassis is about to break apart or the roof is about to fall in. Even my bus, which was about as rusted as they come, wasn't unsafe to drive around or walk around in (or be under, although I was initially frightened to even go down there). Rust is a concern to you because it's going to keep growing on you unless you do something about it - especially if you don't also fix the leaks in the body (windows, light openings etc.) that caused the damage in the first place.

If you only want something that is going to last a couple of years, then you can buy a PA bus and mostly ignore the rust, but if you want a skoolie for a long-term dwelling, you'll want to cut out the rusted material and patch it properly - which is a lot of work that can be avoided by getting a bus elsewhere.
This is very good information. This has helped me understand the importance of avoiding vehicles in the rust belt. I'm planning on living in this thing for a long time.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:40 PM   #12
Almost There

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3500
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 8 handicapped
there's sites that will give you ballpark values.
jackdebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:43 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
That paint job is awful.
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I love the paint job. Magical.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #15

Nice option. Good luck with your purchase.
rshanksdolores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 04:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshanksdolores View Post
Nice option. Good luck with your purchase. Visit the fitmymoney.com blog. There are many tips to make an effective purchase
do you have any updates ? Have you made your purchase yet? Any photo?
rshanksdolores is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, goodbuy, shortbus