Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #1

Is this Partially-Converted Skoolie Worth it?

Hi Ya'll!

Looking for some sound advice on a potential purchase in the next little bit. My friend and I are currently looking at a Skoolie to use as part of a small business model. Meaning our use for the skoolie specifically is not long-distance drives nor are we looking to use this as a living space. However, for the potential future sale of the vehicle obviously, mileage and condition of the vehicle is still important.

The initial sale price was 11,000 we got it down to 9,000. This is a 1991 GMC Cutaway with total mileage (pre-new engine) of roughly 159,228 here are the updated features the seller has shown proven receipts for:

New Engine on 5/10/27→ Spartan/ATK Engine
New Transmission on 11/28/17
All New Tires
New breaks

Moreover, we are ideally looking at insurance (to drive it home) at the commercial vehicle for personal use option (a common suggestion found through these forums). However, wondering if this is possible because it was registered with the previous owner as a motorhome & the fact that is not a barebones skoolie its semi-converted.

Just want to get an expert opinion on the matter so hopefully, I came to the right place <3 thank you in advance for your help
SkoolgirlzEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Welcome to the site SEB.

It will likely be cheaper insurance wise to register it as a motorhome vs commercial vehicle.
Not sure how it is equipped inside to obtain the motorhome designation in your state, but there are typically requirements for electric 110volt power, cooking space, bathroom, bed, water supply.
If the bus still has most of those features, you can legally continue to register and insure as a MH.

Good luck, and post pics of your adaptation of the bus...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
You should consult insurance companies before you do this.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
verify the date on the replacement engine.
ATK only sells rebuilt engines and verify mileage and service history since date engine and transmission were replaced.
what engine in 350,383,396,400,426,454?
any motor around that era is hard to believe it had to be replaced at 160,000.
unless bad maitenance or someone beat the snot out of it.
but that was the old stuff so now you need to know how the new stuff has been taken care of.
original owner that replaced or different owner that replaced?
on test drive does the odometer roll over?
its hard to believe that it had to have the motor and transmision replaced with that mileage unless the powertrain was undersized from the start for a school bus body.
did they upgrade the motor and tranny to a better size when it was replaced or put the exact stuff back in that you can expect to replace again in another 150,000 if not sooner?
not trying to discouarage.
i found a 2004 chevy cutaway for my wife for 3800$ and drove it home with insurance but no TAGS from 3 hours away.
if you can answer the questions i asked you will be on a good start.
wish yall luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, insurance, skooolie