Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2021, 01:04 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

I dont know poormans fiberglass. Havent heard of it.

My ghetto fix would be flex sealing it. After researching the idea and seeing if someone else had done it and worked. I dont think that peeling stuff is fiberglass anyway.

Im thinkn bout doing a van build again now instead of bus (been bouncing around for months lol). And ima build my own hightop (wood) and flex seal it if i go that route.

Fox Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:30 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
--‐---------------------------
Do you have experience with both?

Its good that you prefer what you have. No shame there.
Fiberglass can never be a school bus, as it cannot pass the school bus minimum standards.

Most who buy a school bus to camp in, have already had thier fill of fiberglass toppers, teardrops & popups. We've camped in all sorts of canvas, fiberglass, aluminum & steel contraptions. Each has been an upgrade from the previous.

I live in a converted steel barn, exterior walls & roof are all steel. Haven't seen a fiberglass barn. Or home. Google photos of what hurricanes and bears do to fiberglass shelters.

Steel - Ship / Fiberglass - Boat
Leaks? Bullet proof? Ha
Thanks for the comments.

Started a new thread: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/l...tml#post438511

I clarified some of the points I raised in the hijacking of this thread.

As a member of this forum I tend not to go off on things like guns, where people live, and I don't take cheap shots because they are easily misconstrued. I don't think I was triggered, I'm just trying to raise our level of dialogue.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:06 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Who told you it would take a year to demo a bus interior?
TBF it took me more than a year and a half to get to the "shell" stage, but that's because I bought a rusted-out POS (sorry, baby) and not because I bought a school bus.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
[QUOTE=HalfFast;438289]Considering purchase, if it is doable (and cheap enough). Images:

First post. Thanks in advance for any wisdom shared.

My wife says all my ideas are Half Fast. At least I THINK that is what she is saying under her breath.
‐---------------------------------
Google it. TiteBond II impregnated canvas (painters drop cloths are popular). Then painted. There are some good guides and the results are impressive. It is also used by the boat builders. I just learned about it yesterday. It is an interesting rabbit hole to go down.

HalfFast,
Since the patch would be practically invisible on the roof, this would be a great place to experiment with something new. Good looks less important than a good seal.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:07 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
TBF it took me more than a year and a half to get to the "shell" stage, but that's because I bought a rusted-out POS (sorry, baby) and not because I bought a school bus.
And we're still feeling sorry for you
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
And we're still feeling sorry for you
No, I feel admiration.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
No, I feel admiration.
Yes that too
Old 05-15-2021, 03:29 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
what is the roof actually made of? Is that steel or fiberglass?
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
I'd be concerned about hidden water damage and mold. Also, if it did leak, which I'd bet it did, where did the water go? Check for rust along the bottom edge of the walls.
Almost anything can be repaired, doesn't mean making the repair is the best choice.
Good luck and keep us posted.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
No, I feel admiration.
Thanks, but I'm still in the "sorry for me" camp.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:35 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Thanks, but I'm still in the "sorry for me" camp.
Got your back sir! Big props to you for such a task. to haha
Old 05-16-2021, 12:37 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

I’d take paint, body work or interior finishing over rust remediation any day.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
I honestly think you don't realize how your comments land in this forum. You're just riling people up with this kind of slap. Nobody's laughing.
Perhaps you might have a bit of facebook rash? A bit of levity never hurt anyone. Besides , he may have a point.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Thank you for the comment. It's about the third or fourth time someone suggested I should lighten up.

Unfortunately it misses my point.

I spoke up when I thought the post was not kind, necessary, or true. It wasn't the first post of its kind from that person. A I took a ration of crap for calling him out.

I know some the temptation is high for some to take a swing at anything they see as a threat to their free-wheeling speech. Unavoidable in the public marketplace. But if that becomes the norm, good people with good contributions but low tolerance for crap posts will just leave.

It's whatever we want to make of it, people. Let's keep it great.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Thank you for the comment. It's about the third or fourth time someone suggested I should lighten up.

Unfortunately it misses my point.

I spoke up when I thought the post was not kind, necessary, or true. It wasn't the first post of its kind from that person. A I took a ration of crap for calling him out.

I know some the temptation is high for some to take a swing at anything they see as a threat to their free-wheeling speech. Unavoidable in the public marketplace. But if that becomes the norm, good people with good contributions but low tolerance for crap posts will just leave.

It's whatever we want to make of it, people. Let's keep it great.
Sorry to pipe in here again but if if you’re going to keep going so am I. The comment in question was so lame the only one that appears offended by it is you.
Seems like you want the ability to tell someone else what to say or not say but you can’t afford them the same consideration. It’s not free wheeling speech, it’s free speech and you don’t get to determine that it only happens in “public marketplace”. No one has told you that you can’t voice your opinion even if agreed upon or not. Since nobody else appears offended by the original comment maybe it’s time you acknowledge you overreacted and put this sh*t to bed.
I’d like to say “that’s all I have to say on the matter” but that’s likely not true.
Stay safe out there
Cheers

Oscar
Old 05-20-2021, 08:58 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Aero- something....
Engine: 6.6 Duramax
Whoops didn't see the second page. Sorry all

There are videos of guys glassing there boats for repairs. good source of information.
This might give you an idea. I have never done this my self

BTW s2mikon's comment made me giggle. And I am at the start of a shuttle bus build. I have been off facebook for over a year and not looking back. People need to stop with the keyboard commando nonsense and to take a little ribbing in stride and laugh it off. it seems like the school buses are plagued with their own issues as well. weight, rust, looks etc. Shuttlebuses work for some (like me and mine) and skoolies for others.
Blu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
--‐---------------------------
Do you have experience with both?

Haven't seen a fiberglass barn. Or home. Google photos of what hurricanes and bears do to fiberglass shelters.

Steel - Ship / Fiberglass - Boat
Leaks? Bullet proof? Ha

Fiberglass is strong and easy to repair in small sections, but when it breaks it is catastrophic, similar to glass (I put a vette into a guardrail at 75 mph when I was a teen, made a mess) and it is certainly not bulletproof. If you put screws thru a fiberglass roof it will leak same as steel, worse if it cracks/splinters up.

BTW, In the early seventies I worked in a factory building fiberglass houses in Phoenix AZ. for a short time while hitch hiking around. Moved on, don't know the final outcome of the project. The house walls had an inner and outer fiberglass shells with spray foam core. The shells were made with chopped glass from glass twine. There was a standing $50 (union wages were about $2/ hour) reward for the first person to holler fire in the event of a foam piece burning. The foam produced cyanide gas as it burned. Didn't seem like a house that I would want to live in.

Fiberglass also burns easier than steel.

I also helped a friend make molds for fiberglass kit cars in the eighties and I have done some patch work in my time. It is easy to work with, if you read and follow the instructions, but is not the wonder material that some people imply that it is.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFast View Post
Google it. TiteBond II impregnated canvas (painters drop cloths are popular). Then painted. There are some good guides and the results are impressive. It is also used by the boat builders. I just learned about it yesterday. It is an interesting rabbit hole to go down.

I also got a quote from a local guy who advertises "RV and Camper Coatings" service. He hasn't seen it yet (other than these same pics) but when I asked for a ballpark he said "500-700". I'm not sure of his method, but would certainly find out before deciding.

Early airplanes (WW1 era, think early dog fighters) were built with wood framing and sewn on linen cloth, painted/saturated with a liquid waterproof rubber paint that shrunk (tight as a drum skin)when it dried. Surface was shiny and smooth and could be mistaken for metal from a short distance. A you talking about something similar?
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote