Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2021, 10:10 PM   #1

Is this shuttle bus roof DIY-repairable?

Considering purchase, if it is doable (and cheap enough). Images:

First post. Thanks in advance for any wisdom shared.

My wife says all my ideas are Half Fast. At least I THINK that is what she is saying under her breath.

HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
It looks like the factory did it halfFast already.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:16 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
They call them shuttle buses because they are shuttled between the operators and the warranty center.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Is that just peeling paint, or is that layers of fiberglass or something cracking/flaking off?

Paint, no prob.

Fiberglass, no hope.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:33 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Its fixable but the price would have to be GOOD.

Pull off the loose stuff... then roll on a rubber coating. There are several options out there for these coatings that work really well.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
They call them shuttle buses because they are shuttled between the operators and the warranty center.
I honestly think you don't realize how your comments land in this forum. You're just riling people up with this kind of slap. Nobody's laughing.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Sombody "Woke" up on the wrong side of the bed today!
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Sombody "Woke" up on the wrong side of the bed today!
This is all I can say on this topic: if you go to the skoolie facebook forums you see people triggered all the time. Here, we do a fair bit of moderating so the conversations don't turn into a sh*tshow.

Read the comment and tell me it's primary purpose isn't to tweak someone. Let's think before blurting.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:26 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I found s2mikon's comment to be amusing so I don't want to be lumped in your condemnation there of. I figure that it is good to laugh at our follies sometimes. After all, our skoolies aren't really all that important in the bigger picture when you stop to think about it.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
This is all I can say on this topic: if you go to the skoolie facebook forums you see people triggered all the time. Here, we do a fair bit of moderating so the conversations don't turn into a sh*tshow.

Read the comment and tell me it's primary purpose isn't to tweak someone. Let's think before blurting.
See the thing is I don’t go to the Facebook pages because they are all triggered, and yet here we are! And I see the primary purpose of the comment to be that these shuttle’s are not built to a standard any better than your typical RV. Which is to say they are cranked out crap with no standards at all. If the truth hurts a little too bad. The only thing causing a sh*t show here right now is you.
Stay safe out there.
Cheers

Oscar
Old 05-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I found it humorous too. Its a light hearted joke. It is why skoolies are better. Reason #1 for me. gotta love that steel siding good forever damn near if taken care of.

"Ghetto fixed" but not leaking, Could def. sand some of the flakes, edges and do the flex seal liquid rubber coating. $50. (flex seal, paint roller, pan).

Or just throw some new fiber glass on it and do it that way. Also cheap and easy. Maybe $100. Lay it, mix hardener, roll it on over the fiber glass. Do a few layers. Just youtube it.

EDIT: I did not even see it was the whole thing/size of it. Rubber coat all that? iono. Could try it. $400.. (@$90/gl. 30 sq/ft. per gl.= 4 gl) re fiber it DIY. $600.
Fox Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:00 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Totally repairable. What do the boat guys call it, gel coat?

Edit: Quick search says epoxy resin
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Its fixable but the price would have to be GOOD.

Pull off the loose stuff... then roll on a rubber coating. There are several options out there for these coatings that work really well.
Can you please tell me what YOU would consider a GOOD price, to pay?
Old 05-14-2021, 07:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Slider View Post
I found it humorous too. Its a light hearted joke. It is why skoolies are better. Reason #1 for me. gotta love that steel siding good forever damn near if taken care of.

"Ghetto fixed" but not leaking, Could def. sand some of the flakes, edges and do the flex seal liquid rubber coating. $50. (flex seal, paint roller, pan).

Or just throw some new fiber glass on it and do it that way. Also cheap and easy. Maybe $100. Lay it, mix hardener, roll it on over the fiber glass. Do a few layers. Just youtube it.

EDIT: I did not even see it was the whole thing/size of it. Rubber coat all that? iono. Could try it. $400.. (@$90/gl. 30 sq/ft. per gl.= 4 gl) re fiber it DIY. $600.
When you say "ghetto fixed, but not leaking" are you referring to Poor Man's Fiberglass by chance?
Old 05-14-2021, 07:27 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
What’s poor man’s fiberglass? fiberglass?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:33 AM   #16

Google it. TiteBond II impregnated canvas (painters drop cloths are popular). Then painted. There are some good guides and the results are impressive. It is also used by the boat builders. I just learned about it yesterday. It is an interesting rabbit hole to go down.

I also got a quote from a local guy who advertises "RV and Camper Coatings" service. He hasn't seen it yet (other than these same pics) but when I asked for a ballpark he said "500-700". I'm not sure of his method, but would certainly find out before deciding.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:07 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFast View Post
Can you please tell me what YOU would consider a GOOD price, to pay?

That highly depends on the condition of the rest of the bus. You need to get under it and check the substructure for rust... etc. If the drivetrain is solid... body is in good shape otherwise... my goal would be under 2k. Keep in mind I haven't seen the rest of the bus so this is a wild guess.

The roof repair wont be an issue. That pealing is just a factory coating. Clean it up and recoat it.

I had to do similar stuff on my shorty shuttle when I built it.
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/9...ild-18500.html
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
See the thing is I don’t go to the Facebook pages because they are all triggered, and yet here we are! And I see the primary purpose of the comment to be that these shuttle’s are not built to a standard any better than your typical RV. Which is to say they are cranked out crap with no standards at all. If the truth hurts a little too bad. The only thing causing a sh*t show here right now is you.
Stay safe out there.
Cheers

Oscar
Yeah, lots of people just flip off statements that don't add any value over there. Here, I think we can do better. Using facts, research, experience.

Let's take your statement, for instance, stating a shuttle bus is no better than your average RV.

Not my experience. My shuttle bus is well crafted. The fiberglass body is bulletproof. I've never had roof leaks, because is it a single piece with no seams. My windows leaked, but after I replaced the flange gaskets (like an hour per window) they've never had a problem, which is not the endless slog I see people going through with school bus windows.

I can easily secure anything inside to the fiberglass body with self-tapping screws. Running wires underneath the bus is a snap because it has a plywood deck that readily receives screws. This makes the conversion work simple.

Engine and drive train are proven systems, solid. I cruise at 65 mph and have no trouble climbing with the bus. Parts are standard, and mostly available at your local auto parts store.

And my seats unbolted in a snap-no grinding. And I could reuse the hardware and the floor and wall tracks to bolt in equipment and fixtures.

A shuttle bus is an excellent option, especially if you don't want to spend the first year of your conversion getting to square zero with your build.

Please share your experience that leads you to believe differently.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:08 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yeah, lots of people just flip off statements that don't add any value over there. Here, I think we can do better. Using facts, research, experience.

Let's take your statement, for instance, stating a shuttle bus is no better than your average RV.

Not my experience. My shuttle bus is well crafted. The fiberglass body is bulletproof. I've never had roof leaks, because is it a single piece with no seams. My windows leaked, but after I replaced the flange gaskets (like an hour per window) they've never had a problem, which is not the endless slog I see people going through with school bus windows.

I can easily secure anything inside to the fiberglass body with self-tapping screws. Running wires underneath the bus is a snap because it has a plywood deck that readily receives screws. This makes the conversion work simple.

Engine and drive train are proven systems, solid. I cruise at 65 mph and have no trouble climbing with the bus. Parts are standard, and mostly available at your local auto parts store.

And my seats unbolted in a snap-no grinding. And I could reuse the hardware and the floor and wall tracks to bolt in equipment and fixtures.

A shuttle bus is an excellent option, especially if you don't want to spend the first year of your conversion getting to square zero with your build.

I thought you said (this is all I can say on this subject)?
I don't plan to debate with you on your evaluation of the merits of your build platform, your build your choice. But I do stand by my statement that they are built to a minimum standard, they are expected to be short time, high mileage and somewhat abused commercial vehicles that will be disposed of after the operator has squeezed everthing he can out of it. The exact same logic applies to school buses however they have a higher safety standard applied by the NTSB.
My original comment was in reference to your comment of all the triggered on the Faceplant sites and then you yourself being so offended by such a benign little comment that supposedly nobody could find humor in it.
Please read Jack's comments again. It's just a bus, relax!
Who told you it would take a year to demo a bus interior? If you can't have the seats out of a full sized bus in about six hours you need to re evaluate how your doing it.
Stay safe and carry on
Old 05-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:

--‐---------------------------
Do you have experience with both?

Its good that you prefer what you have. No shame there.
Fiberglass can never be a school bus, as it cannot pass the school bus minimum standards.

Most who buy a school bus to camp in, have already had thier fill of fiberglass toppers, teardrops & popups. We've camped in all sorts of canvas, fiberglass, aluminum & steel contraptions. Each has been an upgrade from the previous.

I live in a converted steel barn, exterior walls & roof are all steel. Haven't seen a fiberglass barn. Or home. Google photos of what hurricanes and bears do to fiberglass shelters.

Steel - Ship / Fiberglass - Boat
Leaks? Bullet proof? Ha
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote