Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2022, 04:43 PM   #1

Is this structural....

I'm no engineer and this is my first conversion. I'm wondering if the whitish strip of metal that used to hold the seats against the wall in the image is structural or needs to be removed for better rust prevention, painting and insulation. The bus is a 2004 International 3000ic, 36 foot puller. I'm getting ready for a roof raise and realized that while the rest of the panels were just screwed and spot welded in place, this set of panels appear to be much more thoroughly attached, though I can't say for certain how. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20211205_170427_6.jpg  

Pinkney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
That sheet of steel is called the seat rail, and it is indeed structural. It connects the walls to the floor and is welded in place. It's a really good place to attach things like furniture and cabinets.
jimmythomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:30 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythomas View Post
That sheet of steel is called the seat rail, and it is indeed structural. It connects the walls to the floor and is welded in place. It's a really good place to attach things like furniture and cabinets.
What he said, x2…. Structural!

I just started my framing and I am using 2x3 lumber screwed to each rib with 2 inch wood to metal screw ( tek screws) .
The rail on my bus measures 1 1/2 inches, same as the 2x3 boards. Once I put the face(plywood) on the posts it will come down nicely to the floor of the bus. I’ll be gluing insulation to the metal wall under the chair rail to fill in the air pocket created by my going this route.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:13 PM   #4

Many thanks. Are there any suggestions as to rust proofing and insulating that gap between the seat rail and outer shell? There's quite a bit of rust from leaking windows along the floor panels, so I'm sure there's plenty in those gaps as well.
Pinkney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body work, conversion, interior, structure, welding